If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Biggin Hill 70 years on

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by simon, Jul 1, 2010.

1. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Was lucky enough to accompany at the wekend my father on his return trip to Biggin Hill 70 years from his time there in 1940.

A few (well OK rather a lot) of photos here:

http://simonwhittinghamsotherpictures.fotopic.net/c1866981_1.html

2. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Stunning photos!

I went to the ceremony and Flypast in Bromley on the Friday.

We must not forget what we owe the RAF, without their efforts in 1940 none of us would enjoy the freedoms we have today.

3. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The "AI" marked Spitfire Mk 1 - is that a replica or a real one with a number other than its own? From memory, the Squadron Code "AI" was used in the film Battle of Britain but probably not in real life.

Steven

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for this. I am very fond of Biggin Hill and its airshows as 92 Squadron flew from there at the height of the Battle Of Britain. For many people Biggin Hill was THE fighter station. I therefore find this pic, http://simonwhittinghamsotherpictures.fotopic.net/p65680223.html deeply significant as the BBMF have painted their Mk.II Spitifre in 92 Squadron markings. To have a 92 Squadron Spitfire at Biggin Hill again after all these years is marvellous, even if it was just for the weekend. Sadly I'd volunteered for 34081 sales stand duty so couldn't make the show. That will teach me to check my diary before committing myself. Out of interest Simon, what did your Dad do at "Biggin on the Bump" back in 1940?

5. Spamcan81

Training moles
    According to my records, this is a replica. The real N3290 was shot down over Dunkirk on June 3rd 1940 while with 92 Squadron. Pity they've decided to use ficticious squadron codes instead of 92's.

6. simon

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you -although hopefully someone else on here will be able to.

Thanks - never photographed planes before takes some getting used to as they move rather more rapidly than your average steam engine..

There are a number of programmes scheduled on TV over the next few months taking different angles on the battle. These will hopefully make good watching.

7. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Wholehearted agreement from me Oakfield. We must remember though that the Battle Of Britain was a team effort, military and civilians alike. "The Few" quite rightly get the plaudits as they were the flashing sword that defeated the Luftwaffe but there were also countless unsung heroes behind the wielding of that sword.

8. simon

He was groundcrew - more specifically an electrical engineer with 72 squadron.

Posted there when 72 squadorn came south in late August to the end of September 1940.

He didn't really talk about it to anyone for many years but has been more forthcoming in the recent past and I felt that this might be the last big anniversary he would be able to get to. (Although he will hopefully be at Folkestone for the memorial service on 11th).

The picture of him standing on the replica is an attempt to recreate a picture he has of him standing on the wing of a Spit in 1940.

The one of him on the tail plane is him showing me how they used to have to weigh down the back of the Spits before they took off.

9. Spamcan81

Training moles
    One of the unsung heroes. Give my regards to him.
    More than one person found themselves doing an involuntary circuit whilst clinging on to the tail for dear life. Hope your dad never had such a hair raising experience.
    A piece on info for you. The Tucano you photographed here http://simonwhittinghamsotherpictures.fotopic.net/p65680213.html is from the current 72 Squadron and is wearing BoB era 92 Squadron markings. A nice commemoration of two Squadron's who fought side by side.

10. simon

11. Spamcan81

Training moles