If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Black fives to Winchester Monday 9th December

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by alastair, Dec 4, 2013.

1. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Timings are now up for this one:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54685/2013/12/09/advanced

and:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54687/2013/12/09/advanced

Water stop on return is at Brookwood which doesnt happen that often.

2. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

1 hour between Brentford and Woking (nonstop - 20 miles) thats slower than preserved line speeds..

then 90 minutes to do the next 40 miles..(10 minutes at Winchfield, 10 minutes Worting) that gives an average of 35mph for that stretch (ok it may reach 45 for a short burst may even touch 50 for a few seconds).

c130 miles of mainline steam at 20-30mph speeds for £99 minimum ?? - 20 people could hire an engine and do that all day on a preserved railway for less.

seems losing Ipswich to Willesden was a high price to pay, but I've noticed that these "from the suburbs and beyond" trips have a tendency to short change at short notice when it becomes easier to add steam "close to it's home shed"…

Maybe passengers should do the same thing in the buffet.. when being asked to pay £10 for the drinks instead of reaching for your wallet, dive to your pocket and give some coins instead and say well thats closer to my hand than my wallet is so for operational reasons I changed my mind at short notice.

KentYeti and Paul42 like this.
  4. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Buffet?

5. simon

Fairly standard - today's two black fives have been given 52 minutes for the potter round the houses.

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I know, but for the most part, this leisurely walk around the parks of Kew is a precursor to the main trip, in this case it's 50% of the steam trip (in time and not far short in mileage either) !

This tour really starts at Woking and ends at Winchester, the rest of it is just diesel followed by a bit of hornby.

green five likes this.
  7. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

And after all that total creeping around it's booked 18 minutes Worting Junction to Winchester start to stop for 15.35 miles. Including the uphill start from Worting and a 60 mph limit.

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Just caught up with the timings for this and all I can say is that I hope the Carols in the Cathedral are good.

There's a general point here, I think. If you have been reading the 90 mph thread you will know that in yesterday's case, in particular, the timings were really quite special, and as it proved coming south, achievable given a clear road. I gather that these timings were produced by the people at Milton Keynes but not without at least one significant, non NR, contribution.

Wouldn't it be good if for all steam charters, NR could run their outline timings passed someone with an understanding of what is possible and what is not with steam? The computer will still say 'no' but it will stop it saying 'yes' when, as in the case of the Pompey line timings yesterday, that train would have been well out of place had the Petersfield stop been taken.

I just don't believe that those in NR have the time, knowledge or possibly the inclination to think through what they are doing. I'm sure this is just one of many jobs that have to be done and if it works on paper then so be it. But with a little bit of interaction beforehand rather than last minute stuff a good compromise could be achieved without holding up the national network.

9. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Having looked at the RTT times for the ECS moves to and from Eastleigh, would it be a fair assumption to say it will traverse the loop line first before stabling on the depot? By luck I'm due to be in the Works that day and it would be good to know whether I need to be on the Campbell Road bridge side to see it come in or over by the old Works water tower.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

10. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi Dan,

Normal practice for these turning moves (or it used to be!) is for the train to head towards the Fareham/Pompey line first and then turn into the back of the works before servicing etc. Guess this means you'll need to be by the old water tower.

Regards

Ian

11. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Thanks Ian, much appreciated :)

Are you on support crew for it?

Regards,

Dan

12. Shoddy127

Unfortunately not Dan, back on duty again on Saturday's trip so get some good footage please! ;)

13. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

Through Egham about 6 mins down at 11:58. Held behind a Weybridge stopper. It seems to be a fairly light load today, 10 including support coach. Picture to follow.

14. simon

15. 6029 King Stephen

6029 King Stephen Member

This is a video of them pulling away just after Virginia Water and then departing from the Winchfield water stop. They seemed in very fine form today!

16. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    On time at Battledown, and the sun came out! Interesting watching 6026 King Stephen's video - it looks like 44871 was doing most of the work at both locations with 45407 just coming along for the ride. It was pretty well the same pulling away from the pathing stop at Worting Junction, which was quite surprising given the tight timing friom there to Winchester.

17. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    But looking at RTT, although at one stage they did drift to 6 minutes down, time was recovered to 1 early by Worting although this became 1 late at Winchester. So the crew were aware of what they needed to do.

18. Shoddy127

48 should be doing most of the work as it's the lead engine! No concerns though, 54 was working as well going by the video.

19. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired

and here is the pulling away from the pathing stop. I would say they were both contributing.

20. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

My video near Virginia Water and at Micheldever :-