If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Blackpool Tram Driver Experience

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Paul_Turner, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Paul_Turner

Paul_Turner New Member

Blackpool Transport has introduced public tram driver experiences following a successful pilot earlier this month. Their publicity machine is still warming up so there isn't much out there at the moment. I had the pleasure of sharing a course today which was superb. For those interested, I thought I would summarise what we did today:

Our day started at 9am with an introduction to the day and a powerpoint presentation on H&S, other policies, tramway rules and the technology involved. A works visit follows, though we were able to opt out of this in favour of more time at the controls. Car 623 was allocated and after our instructor completed a tram check he took us out to the Tower. We then shared the driving from Tower-SG-Fwd (lunch) - PB-LB-SG-Foxhall before the instructor took the car in. All in all we were out for six hours including lunch. At the end we received a framed certificate. The experience included controlled and emergency stops, driving on one motor, stopping on electric brake (down Gynn hill!) and all driving was done at up to line speed (4, 12, 16, 30 as appropriate).

I'm not sure how standard the days will be and if it is always going to be possible to include Fleetwood. However the above is a taster.
    The price for all this is £350 per person. Entry conditions are that you have to be over 21 and hold a full UK car driving license, you must be in good health, able to stand up in the cab of the tram and have good eyesight. You will need to complete a questionnaire about any disabilities and also be free from the effects of drink or drugs (as per PCV requirements). Bookings are on 01253 473111.

If you enjoy the basic package, an advanced option will be available. This gives you a greater choice of tram and longer at the controls (as if you repeat within 2-3 months you don't need the powerpoint presentation). Cars such as 147, 619, Balloons, maybe Boats or Twin Cars could be available if they are in the active fleet. Western Train is excluded though.

Hope the above is interested and tempts people to have a go. BT deserve enormous credit for introducing this and deserve the initiative to be successful. For the record I'm not on commission just a satisfied customer!

Regards
    Paul

2. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sounds like a good day, but to me a bit pricey..

3. SIMB

SIMB New Member

Hi Paul, Do you know if these Tramway Experience days still operate at Blackpool and if so how / with whom to register?

4. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

My guess is these finished when the revamped tramway reopened with the new rolling stock in 2012.
    Certainly driving experiences are available at Crich Tramway Museum and the Seaton Tramway, if not other Museum operations, so they would be your best bet.