If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Blaenavon Here We Come

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by alig8048, May 17, 2010.

1. alig8048

alig8048 New Member

Good news all, pending completion of outstanding paper work (which we WILL do), the Railway Inspector has given approval for the Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway to open its Blaenavon extension on Saturday May 29th.

Trains will be top and tail with No.19 and the new arrival Austerity 71515, first train 10:40 from Furnace Sidings.

By then 71515 will have it's lettering and not look rather bare as she does now

http://www.aligrieve.fotopic.net/p64651180.html

regards
    Alistair Grieve

2. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Good on you Alistair & chaps! I hope it brings you a healthy increase in visitors and more variety in operations. Here's longing for the day you run the first train over the viaduct into Abersychan - and maybe even over big Arch (with a branch off to the British underneath of course!) and on down to Pontypool! I remember watching the last train through Talywain as a kid, then walking the line with my Grandad after they had dismantled the track. The rails were gone, but I remember all the sleepers still in their 'holes' but each one was levered up at an angle ready to be lifted out. I felt very sad, even though I was a nipper. I guess maybe it shows you can be born with a passion for railways?

3. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

Excellent news. Given that the Austerity has now arrived, how long is No.19 staying for?

4. Alex G

Alex G New Member

No. 19 will be staying untill at least October and possibly longer.

5. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

Good news as well; that's one fun bit of kit!

6. PBR Traffic

PBR Traffic New Member

7. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    That is a fine record of works. We often take it all for granted when we see trains running on completed track. Well done fellas