If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bodmin Parkway

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by Broomhalla, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

It always amazes me what happens when you forget to bring a camera. I had just spent a week with my nan in Cornwall and was catching the train back up to Wolverhampton from the small station at Bodmin parkway. I was on time but the virgin pendolino i was meant to be catching wasn't so i was stuck there wondering why there was so many people on the platform because it really isn't a major station like Falmouth or Truro is. Things started to click when i noticed for the first time all the cameras but as normal i still hadn't a clue as to why they were there since as far as i knew this was just a normal station. Then suddenly out of nowhere a class 50 pops up from the trees and stops from at the station but only a few people are even looking at it as i hear the roar of another two class 50's pull into the station on the down line. So there i was with three class 50's in the same station as me and me with out a single camera staring at the blue pullman coaches shocked and stunned and the n just as quickly they were all gone leaving me to notice for the first time the MK1 coaches parked in the sidings. I can only remember that one of them was called Hood but the other two names escape me. The virgin pendolino was late and full but i found a seat and enjoyed the trip up half expecting to see a class 50 at any moment pop up.
    I now know that Bodmin Parkway station is also a stop for the BODMIN & WENFORD RAILWAY but at the time i didn't even know the bodmin line ran to Bodmin parkway station.

2. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A Pendolino at Bodmin Road...now that would be worth a photo!

3. Western Dreamer

Western Dreamer Member

Ah Rumpole - lovely to read the traditional "Bodmin Road" instead of Bodmin Parkway, which still doesn't sound quite right even after all these years.

Bodmin Road was always the first "tea break" stop for my family whenever we travelled "up country" by car from West Cornwall. Many are the times I saw the Westerns arrive and leave from those gently curved platforms nestling at the side of the wooded valley, succeeded by the 47s and the 50s and, towards the end of my childhood, the HSTs. It's a wonderful place for a trainspotting pause, calm and picturesque with the sounds of the approaching locos echoing along the valley, the scents of nature and the sound of birdsong.

4. James

James Part of the furniture

Shame about the ugly modern buildings though!

5. Charobin

Charobin Member

Shame about the lack of co-ordination by the local bus company...the bus to Bodmin generally pulls out just as the train pulls in. #-o

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member

Bodmin Road is my favourite station on the whole network, beautiful setting, beautiful memories. About 20 years back, long after some heretic had renamed the station, I asked the man at Plymouth for a day return to Bodmin Road and to my delight that's exactly what I got, some very old ticket stock I think.

7. James

James Part of the furniture

That's called an integrated transport system...

8. 33056

33056 Member

Professional "basher"
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You spent a week in Cornwall and didn't visit the Bodmin & Wenford Railway! :smt009 . Well worth a trip or two (or three or four).

Their class 50 is 50042 Triumph and they have a nice selection of other diesel and steam locos, see http://www.bodminandwenfordrailway.co.uk/index.html for more details.

The locos you saw on the mainline train were probably 50031 Hood and 50049 Defiance. Though you don't mention the date, was this some time ago?

Oh!, and BTW, never go anywhere without a camera #-o

9. Woof

Woof Member

A T.O.C.
    Always will be Bodmin Road to me.

Went to Padstow last week and had to get photo of the 259 1/4 milepost outside a pub by the quay.

A beautiful part of country

10. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

I know and don't think every time we pass Bodmin signs that have the little steam train on them i don't want divert and spend some time there. It's on the list. What really got me was being stuck at my nans while City of Truro was in Truro. That was at about the same time if that helps dating it but it was a few years ago 2000 something might be 2004 i don't know.

11. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Did you sample the Doombar as well? Fine beer...and only £1.35 a pint in the student union...!

12. Woof

Woof Member

A T.O.C.
    Yes discovered the doombar for the first time =D>
    Sampled in a pub in Padstow, 1st went down rather quickly. So had to have a 2nd and 3rd. Mrs Woof had to drive back from Rock

Did not realise it was brewed in Rock.
    Excellent pint and now have a glass to add to collection!
    Told Mrs Woof that now need a larger glass cabinet! Wont repeat her reply!

Even though Swanage Beer Fest is sponsered by St.Austel I hope they bring some Doombar.....please...

13. tuffer5552

tuffer5552 Member

There arent any scabby coaches down there now, just a splendid great big shed to hide it all and preserve stuff for the future.

Also, DOOM BAR, it is very local to padstow, it is named after a locally infamous sand bank right in the entrance to padstow, many ships have come to grief here, local trawlerman will know it inside out.