If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Boiler Insurance Companies

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by brennan, Jul 18, 2019.

1. brennan

brennan Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A question. Steam traction engine owners have drifted towards obtaining boiler surveys and certification from the independent sector rather than using the services of one of the SAFED companies. This, I am led to believe, has been driven not so much by cost as the inability of the large companies to recruit surveyors with appropriate qualifications and experience.

Does anyone know if any standard gauge railways use an independent inspection company?

2. I. Cooper

I. Cooper Member

"drifted" ?!
    The road steam world have been using independent self-employed inspectors for boiler reports for a good few decades, there's been no signs of a drift towards them for many a year.

Many of those inspectors also inspect railway locomotives of various gauges (including std) on behalf of loco owners, and I'm aware of at least one independent inspector who is employed by a railway to report on their fleet of locomotives as well.

3. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Quite a few, to my knowledge.