If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Braunton to Salisbury 23 December

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by alastair, Dec 2, 2013.

1. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

This was advertised as first class dining only but this obviously has not worked out for UKR, as I have had a mailshot today saying that FC non-dining(£119) and standard(£75) are now also available. I can't say I am that tempted,the outward run is short and although the return is via Southampton it will be entirely in the dark.

UKR have an extremely loyal repeat database of customers so its interesting that the dining-only idea didnt sell. I wonder if they will try again in 2014?

2. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Standard class very tempting as I have a day off on the 23rd............

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Waterloo down the ML with no other pickups before Salisbury sounds really interesting. But it is implied in the literature that they are going to take two hours to get there. Add in a water stop and it still feels like a gentle stroll down the SL. Not tempting therefore.

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Wasn't 80 minutes to Salisbury considered good in steam days? If the water stop is 30 minutes, and they can be sometimes, then 90 minutes actual running time may not be such a dawdle after all.

5. Big Al

If you are going to take water then it's typically Winchfield, Overton or Grateley. The other services don't allow you to hang around at a water stop. 15 min would be generous. But as we know indicative times are just that and a little under two hours to Salisbury may not be what happens in practice. And this is UKRT who, I recall when they bothered with steam were pretty 'schedule savvy'. But no money from me until I see actual times, I am afraid.

6. malc

malc Part of the furniture

A 30 minute water stop is pretty unlikely between Waterloo and Salisbury. More likely to be about 10 minutes at Winchfield or Overton.

7. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Don't forget it was initially advertised as an all dining train, so there has to be time on the outward journey to serve breakfast.

8. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

I suspect its the wrong day to try this sort of trip, though adding standard class is good. Hope they keep the idea of a simple itinerary and do more in 2014.

As to big Al's points there are good paths out if Waterloo for steam. A few years ago we got past Worting with Clan Line in 49minutes 10 seconds and stopped for water at Grateley. Whether this can happen again depends on the current regime of planners.

Like Al I would like to see the timings before booking

Gricerdon

9. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Service trains are every 30 mins between Basingstoke and Salisbury, so not much scope for a thirty minute water stop between those places. In any case, presumably something like Tornado could do the trip from Waterloo without a stop - seems a bit pointless stopping at Grately! Most of the 5000gallon plus Southern locos could do that trip non-stop and I believe the tender size was chosen to give a reasonable safety margin. The MNs used to run non-stop to Wilton with the Devon Belle (well over 500 tons tare) without problems. (I guess if you leave Waterloo not absolutely brim full because of a cross-London trip to get to the start, a quick "splash and dash" may give a bit of a comfort margin).

Tom

10. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Exactly it's a dining train really that appears not to have sold too well So has been opened up to the wider public. IIRC one of UKR selling points is they don't cancel if bookings are poor so I guess this an attempt to cut any losses.

11. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The Eastleigh Centenarian ? - http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t09/t0523b.htm

12. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

You could do Salisbury in 80 mins without much over 75 mph in ACE days. 73 to 74 minutes net were the times for the better runs. My last run on the down ACE behind Fred Hoare, with 35028, took 77 mins 32 secs with a severe tsr just after the top of Grateley bank, and a signal stop outside of Salisbury. Including the usual fairly slow start that was a hallmark of Fred's enginemanship. 2 late Waterloo, 1/2 min early Salisbury despite the checks. 11 on.

90 mins running time in 2013 would be nice with the checks at Clapham, Earlsfield and just after MP 31. But with no other checks would not constitute a red letter day. Even allowing for the slowing and restart from a water stop. If the running time is actually 105 mins, then yuk, even if there are other checks to contend with.

A light Pacific instead of a MN makes a difference of course. But again with Fred Hoare I came up in 76 minutes net once on the up ACE behind 34002. A top driver, and he was just about the very best at Salisbury, (or almost anywhere else on the SR), would run any MN schedule from the 1960s comfortably with a light pacific in reasonable nick. Sadly a very few would deliberately lose time, and say so in advance or afterwards using those immortal words, "the wrong class of engine".

PS. There ain't half going to be a late panic for tickets for the 34046 train if the schedule comes out as 90 minutes with a water stop! LOL!

13. Big Al

Correct, of course. ;)

14. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Were you on one of the Bournemouth gnomes' runs Al? Ex works 34017, which had kept time on the heavy Belle a few days earlier. He lost ten minutes unchecked up from Southampton. SVO up Roundwood. And when asked at Waterloo by the lynch mob, ( ;) ), what was wrong he did indeed use the words, "wrong class of engine".

Back to topic! I doubt that will be a problem with 34046 on 23rd December.

15. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Yes it was. 23rd May 2009. 35028 on 12 for 460 tons with that excellent Eastleigh driver Wayne Thompson in charge. He handled Clan Line superbly as usual and was given plenty of steam by Paul Majors. 0717 departure and slow start from P19, then 75 at Hersham, 70 Oatlands and 76.5 at Byfleet was good enough to get us passed Woking in 26mins 45 secs (ACE schedule 27 minutes) 63 min at MP 31 and 77 after Hook gave us a time of 46/43 to pass Basingstoke and 49/10 to Worting (ACE schedule 50 mins). Then trs to 32 at Oakley and another at Hurstbourne before 76.5 max before we caught the 0710 ex Waterloo. The water stop at Grateley was 13 minutes if we had been going to Salisbury the overall time would have been 110 minutes ( we left Waterloo 4 late). which is in line with what Pathfinder are saying. However a fast path at 0955 from Waterloo exists, as shown on 9th July 2012. 35028 again with an overall schedule to Salisbury of 101 minutes with a water stop of 9 minutes at Overton. 35028 coped easily with this despite some very ordinary running, 5 late Waterloo and 2 late Salisbury. With this path the train follows the 0950 Waterloo to Salisbury and has a stop at Overton to avoid catching it by Andover. This is I suspect what Pathfinder have in mind. I am tempted.

Gricerdon

16. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

My best time was 76 mins 04 secs 34014 on 11 in July 1962. No real effort, just a very fast start 24/51 to pass Woking max 80 mph

Gricerdon

17. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

35014 of course

Don

18. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Thanks for the further info. I was on both trips.

19. 7P6F

7P6F Part of the furniture

If bookings have been initially slow it may be a reflection of the somewhat civilised out and back times which certainly suit first class and standard more so than dining. A five to ten departure has breakfast served a bit on the late side and a return departure, "mid afternoon" makes it rather early for a five course dinner. On the other hand it would suit first class or standard with plenty of time to get to Waterloo and then back home again from outlying areas and can enjoy a pub or restaurant meal at their leisure in Salisbury. I am on the Lindum Fayre this Saturday with my wife which has required a two night stay in London, we could do the Salisbury Xmas diner with no overnight stay travelling from Chester and may well do so preferably in first class.

20. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Yes indeed!

My recollection of timing runs behind 34014 was that the name she got in later days of "Yeo Vile" was well deserved!