If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Breaking News! new 6024 website and Social Media launch

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 6024PreservationSoc, Nov 29, 2018.

1. 6024PreservationSoc

6024PreservationSoc New Member

[​IMG]

6024 King Edward I has a new website at www.6024.com

· There is news about the locomotive, a detailed history of 6024, all its operations in preservation are listed, there are a huge number of photographs many of which have not been published before, many excellent videos and much more!

· Members of Club 60-24 get exclusive access to a members area which contains even more about the locomotive, including news on the current heavy overhaul, so why not join us!

· We have made it easy to join the 6024 Preservation Society via the website.

· If you like what we do you can donate to the society via the link on the homepage.

Social Media

6024 is also now on social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/6024kingedward1/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/6024L

Instagram: https://instagram.com/6024preservationsociety

240P15 and green five like this.
  2. 007

007 Member

I don't wish to pour any cold water on this in any way, but why are you asking for donations when the engine is owned by the Royal Scot and General trust who have plenty of money at their disposal?

3. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

I’m reminded of the kind of football supporter who always says “the chairman needs to put his hand in his pocket” without considering how much he may have spent already. :)

The RS&GT is a charity which, like any other, needs ways to raise money in the long term if it is going to survive. Yes a number of rich people have been very generous with their money in setting it up but the Trust would be foolish to rely on this income stream lasting forever.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  4. 6024PreservationSoc

6024PreservationSoc New Member

RSLGT own the locomotive but it is being overhauled and its operations will be managed by the 6024 Preservation Society Ltd. There is a cost sharing agreement in place, RSLGT is not 100% funding operations.

acorb, green five, 240P15 and 2 others like this.
  5. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    Sorry shoot me down if such is not already in place, but would it be more useful to donate direct to RSLGT and gain gift aid and all that?

6. RSLGT I believe is already the recipient of regular sums of money from Mr Hosking. 6024 on the other hand as previously stated in the post above is cost sharing and a great deal of money needs to be spent not just now during overhaul but in the future for running, by the society itself.

7. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

6024 Soc are also a charity and can claim gift aid. The reason for two charities being involved is bound up in the history of this locomotive.

fergusmacg likes this.
  8. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Interesting learning about the weld repairs to the wheels but surprised that new wheels were not preferred. Was there not a pattern made for 6023 ?

9. Railcar22

Railcar22 Member

Stock Control
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes there were. The trailing driving set were new at the time of restoration.

10. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

So who owns the majority of the loco then, therefore having the final say in matters that may arise....?

11. 6024PresSoc

6024PresSoc New Member

The locomotive is wholly owned by RSLGT. It is subject to a management agreement between RSLGT and 6024PS. This leaves 6024PS to manage all areas. However, in reality, in the case of major engineering decisions such as the new cylinders or the major repairs to the wheels RSLGT have been very much involved in the decision making, it would seem perverse for them not to be.

12. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Writing as an individual I would like to support 6024, however I cannot support anything to do with Mr Hoskins.

Martin Perry and 240P15 like this.
  13. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Why so? Just curious :)

14. nick813

Monkey Magic and Sheff like this.
  15. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

I concluded a while ago that it was probably best to separate people's political beliefs from their interest in steam, makes mess room conversations go a lot smoother at any rate!

MikeParkin65, ghost, jnc and 2 others like this.
  16. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    However its not just his political and Brexit beliefs to be wary of if that Wikipedia page is to believed:

In October 2016 a judge has upheld a £10.4 million ruling on appeal claim made by Marathon Asset Management against Hosking. The company accused Hosking of breaching "contractual and fiduciary duties" while working there because he discussed plans for a new business with other employees. Hosking was made to pay £1.38 million in damages, and a further £10.4 million - half of the profits Hosking received for the period between mid-July and mid-December 2012 - in 2015. That was subject to an appeal in which Hosking argued profit shares could not be forfeited, but this was dismissed by the judge.

17. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Ah right, well that makes sense as to how things work between the two although I guess then from what your saying, if a major decision is required it's the RSLGT that make that decision rather than the 6024PS, even if it goes against their wishes. I guess that's where problems could arise but then it would come down to how the management agreement is agreed between both parties presumably?

18. 6024PresSoc

6024PresSoc New Member

The difference here is really between routine and major/unexpected decisions. However, this does not imply that RSLGT necessarily make the major decisions or does so in isolation, rather there is a discussion between the parties. This would seem to be the sensible and rational approach.

jnc likes this.
  19. nick813

The bigger they are the harder they fall.........I think we have seen this before with other locomotives......