If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Brighton "Atlantic" Project

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 46118, Apr 27, 2009.

1. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Work in progress, courtesy of the Bluebell website, valve chests, cylinders, and coupling rods. Most interesting to see the kit of parts coming together for the fabricated cylinders and valve chests.

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/blueb ... atest.html

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for posting the update, very interesting. Do you know what the background is to going for profiled motion components rather than forged?

3. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    If you go further back on the Beachy Head news it will show the rectangular section blanks that were actually forged. My assumption is that the cost of shaped forgings is now sky-high following the demise of Heskeths. Perhaps someone at the Bluebell can confirm this.

4. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

The rods are being cut from forged billets. then finish machined. The only real difference that I can see from the traditional process is that the forged billets provide material for several rods instead of individual forgings being made. Traditional forgings still have to be finish machined.

5. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

This project is going very well indeed with what I saw. And i think 2012 is a good indication that this will be finished then? although maybe some others on here will beable to say differently?...

6. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

When I was at BB in August last year a guy there said 2012 and it was on a poster, I personally think they will make 2012 or 2013

7. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Yes 2012/13 is the general thought when 32424 might be finished, also it's hoped that when we get a rolling chasis completed the money donations will pick-up even more

8. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I thought that the advantage of shaped forgings was that they aligned the material grain around the crankpin bosses etc?

9. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I'm no expert on forging, but I'm sure there will be people on here who will have a view! I wouldn't have thought that the forging process aligns the grain to follow the shape of the billet other than in the general lengthwise orientation but I'm probably wrong!

10. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    No, I don't think that you're wrong. There's no way that the billet can be forged to take the grain around a non-existant hole. Non-existant at the forging stage, that is. When men and equipment were available, forging was a relatively easy way to produce uneven shapes that required less machining and, where the billet has a significant change of direction , the grain is carried around that change resulting in a better material. We are really talking about possible laminations in the material and their possible effect on its strength. A lamination in line with the tensile stresses is less likely to be a significant problem. However, with modern inspection techniques, steel can be certified to be effectrively free of laminations. If we were designing and building a loco from scratch, I'm sure that a metallurgist would provide a suitable material specification for rods cut and machined from bar or plate.

11. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

12. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks for the link to the update. This looks set to be a really great addition to the Bluebell stock as 4-4-2s are not exactly common! I'm looking forward to seeing this loco up and running and it will look wonderful as well as being an asset to the loco fleet I'm sure. I have seen photos of Brighton "Atlantics" in BR Black (and they look very smart) but I have also seen illustrations of them in the LBSC "Umber" livery (I believe that's the correct term - it looks a rich brown colour to me!) Either way, it will look great I'm sure. I'm aware that 4-4-2s were usurped by the more efficient 4-6-0s as railways developed but I'd be very interested in any anecdotes regarding the exploits of these rather handsome 4-4-2s on the "Brighton Line".