If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR Broadway Developments

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Breva, Aug 1, 2014.

1. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

In hindsight, I think your probably right there, alas I have a bad habit of jumping into high gear before taking a moment and properly thinking it through. Apologies, passion for something I genuinely care about got the better of me, I should be more sensible and not just leap head first into these affairs.

As you say, let us wait to hear more detail about this development, who knows, maybe this plan was on the board's consideration but then it got leaked out and now they'll compelled to think about it differently. You never know, but again, let's allow cool heads to prevail here.

2. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I joined the Cheltenham - Stratford Railway Group in 1976 when the line was intact apart from a few hundred yards at Winchcombe and the ambition was to retain it as a through route. I subsequently bought shares.

However, I stopped supporting when the signal boxes at Cheltenham and Gotherington appeared ( and my emails of protest to the company went unanswered).

Even my Photographic Pass became worthless ( see separate thread) http://tinyurl.com/pegg8fg

I still ride several times a year using my shareholders tickets, but I find it a dispiriting experience and other railways more worthy of my financial support.

3. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

The GWSR is hardly the only railway to have in-authenticities; at least the two signal boxes you have a grudge against (and that decision was made 10 years ago now!) aren't in immediate station limits i.e. not on the platform. CRC 'box is in a station that, being honest, doesn't fill you with nostalgia anyway simply due to the nature of the station, nothing can be done about that. and Gotherington 'box is outside of station limits controlling a loop not even in the station. Your photographic pass is not worthless either, you are still permitted to enter station sites for free during normal days (like any other customer) and have access to the GWSR's land along the line throughout.

Kinghambranch likes this.
  4. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

This is why I raised the issue. As building is about to commence, it will be a fait accompli. As soon as the slab goes down, the freelance roof design is irreversible.

I don't have all the costs etc, or an easy answer . I'm just a volunteer there who thought we were doing a heritage build. Turns out, as of last week we are not. 'The roof only needs to look right from a distance, how many people will look up'. I quote. But lack of money is the reason, we were told.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  5. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Well has anyone thought of suggesting to them that they could call for an appeal, look into applying for grants, or simply wait till such time they have the money for it?

All predictions point to the line opening in 2018, that's a fair distance away still, so you'd think there could be reasonably enough time to come up with a plan that doesn't sound like just plain giving up and make do with a bodged together structure...

But I digress...

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  6. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

As someone who has read the Broadway blog since the start and been amazed by what has been achieved by a small band of dedicated volunteers, this decision really is a slap in the face to those who have strived to make Broadway as perfect as possible. What was the point in cleaning thousands of bricks - could've just built it in breeze block as it'll look ok from a distance as long as no-one looks down. The signal box could've been a garden shed painted the right colour. The GWSR really need to think again - they should be aimed for the highest possible standards (ask the Broadway volunteers for guidance...), not simply for a cheap lash up.

Maybe the GWSR board could be persuaded to commit the same amount of money to the building as planned but allow the Broadway group to raise the difference to build it properly? This was what was done with the signalbox windows (originally planned to be uPVC double glazed, until the Broadway group negotiated).

Good luck BAG - I think you might need it!

Keith

michaelh likes this.
  7. michaelh

Anyone want to buy some GWSR Shares?

8. DanW

DanW Guest

I don't get the whole idea of cost being a prohibitive factor? Yes building a prototypical canopy may be expensive, but surely if the budget for this year does not cover it, could you not carry it over to the next consecutive year or launch an appeal to raise adequate funds? There seems to be an almighty rush to get to Broadway (which is no bad thing), but if it means that we are going to get there at the expense of a faithful recreation of the station, then it really does beg the question as to what the GWSR really stands for? Seems to be a large focus on passenger numbers and income in lieu of some of the heritage matters (although the formation of a heritage group is a very positive sign), much like another railway on the south coast, but that's another matter.

I'd personally rather wait an extra few years in order to all the funds to be raised and to do the job properly and make the station as prototypically accurate as possible, and have a station that the entirety of the preservation movement would be jealous of, rather than some toytown job like there is at Cheltenham and Gotherington.

I admire what the BAG have done, and I hope that the issue can be resolved as soon as possible!

TommyD and michaelh like this.
  9. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Gotherington Station isn't a "toytown job" at all, although the original station building has been modified into a dwelling. I presume you mean the GWSR -installed SB which controls the loop at Gotherington. I must admit to being a little surprised at the apparent vehement view in some quarters of the GWSR boxes at CRC and Gotherington as they look like signal boxes to me. However, now that I've researched a little more into GWR signal box design (other boring pastimes are available) I can understand some of the negativity espoused on this site, especially when we see the superb signal box at Broadway approaching completion. However, I prefer to be a little more optimistic regarding these boxes as, if money was made available, they could be modified to look more prototypical or even replaced. It is all about money, rather like the USA where you can have pretty much what you like as long as you pay for it. As someone else has already suggested regarding the proposed Broadway Station, it may be possible to finance an authentic structure if we fund it.

10. michaelh

I don't think it is "all about money" - I think its more to do with attitudes as to what is/is not important.

11. Kinghambranch

Retired
    Yes, I cannot disagree with your statement as money does need to be directed. Anyway, on the specific topic of the Station rebuild, I see that the roofing felt is going on the signal box this morning.

12. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

You have hit the nail on the head ! This is what the problem is about. This is what has just become plain. It was all revealed in the rhetorical question put to us: ''How many people will look up?''

michaelh likes this.
  13. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Perhaps they should ask themselves whether they are recreating an historic railway or building a linear theme park.

Bob.

14. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

No need to ask, they already know.

Here's what I was told only a few days ago:

''This is not a railway for purists. This is a railway for visitors. They only want an impression''.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    michaelh likes this.
  15. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    Is that another way of saying that anyone who can see beyond the 'impression' isn't welcome at the GWSR? Or rather, not welcomed by the present GWSR board?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    michaelh likes this.
  16. Kinghambranch

Retired
    Talking of theme parks, I visited this well-known one, with my family of course, in 2009. Its aim is to leave quite an impression, which it does. The Sleeping Beauty castle gives the impression of what a fairy tale castle should look like and it does it by using castle-like material. All that stone at the base and ramparts that looks like granite, is granite. Disney can't afford to "short-cut" so perhaps neither can we.

Checkflaps likes this.
  17. GeoffS75

GeoffS75 Member

Perhaps the guys restoring 35006 have been wasting their time for the last 32 years - a steam outline diesel would've sufficed.

Flippancy aside, I am somewhat stunned by the attitude being presented by the board. The BAG have done a fantastic job to get to where they are and to cut corners now would be a disgrace. The general belief is that Broadway will become the jewel in the crown for the GWSR and the recreated buildings should reflect that be designed and built to the same high standards as the work already done.

I really hope the BAG don't get too downbeat by this.

18. steve45110

steve45110 Member

I don't recall this attitude from previous years. Has there been a recent change of personnel in the GWSR Board?

19. michaelh

I think you have summed it up well - I don't think the GWSR is trying to be a heritage railway - just a theme park.

DanW likes this.
  20. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Not really, but the heritage roof has brought out what, when push comes to shove, they really think. It came as a great shock to me, I had no idea. A huge disappointment too that we appear to have different core values.

If you disagree with scrapping the GWR heritage canopy, then make your feelings known. Especially if you are a member or shareholder, or future shareholder. Numbers count, could effect a change of mind. Accepting that the extension may not be fully funded, OK, but there must be a way of maintaining the quality, and building the canopy later.

ghost likes this.