If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Budapest Railway Museum Park

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Tim Fenton, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Tim Fenton

Tim Fenton New Member

Not sure if anyone else on the forum has visited this museum. It's in the northern outskirts of Budapest and a fair walk from the nearest tram stop (I included directions on the Fotopic page!).

Not all of the exhibits are in the best of condition, but it's worth a visit if only for the sheer variety of content. Mainly steam, but there are some diesel locos and units, and one or two electric locos.

Here's some pics:

http://tim-fenton.fotopic.net/c1700340.html

--
    Tim
    http://tim-fenton.fotopic.net/
    http://zelo-street.blogspot.com/
    @zelo_street on Twitter

2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Hi Tim

Yes been here several times, the layout of the site has changed a few times, the Park does now have its own railway station with service trains 2-3 times a day mid-week and it's own historic shuttle during summer weekends.
    They have a large number of exhibits and rotate them in/out of storage, inc an Ransom/Rapier steam crane and LMS BG.

On summer sundays there is a steam service "the danube bend" from Nyugati station. (usually using one of the 424 class 4-8-0's, 109.109 or another historic class)

3. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Visited in about 1998. It may have changed by now but it had a very 'East European' feel to it with museum staff (old ladies) following us through the museum to make sure we behaved ourselves; very odd.

4. B17 61606

B17 61606 Member

Why/how do they have an LMS BG? Seems a strange vehicle to find its way out there!

5. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    An excellent site to visit - and even more so when the International Steam Grand Prix takes place in September. Further details are available at http://www.mavnosztalgia.hu/en/ - click on railway museum for museum specific events but web also shows other activities such as steam specials.

My abiding memory of the museum is taking the Vintage Train to GOD for a photo charter then runnimng it across a luxury hotel's 18-hole golf course on a series of photo runpasts before continuing to the hotel for a luxury lunch !

6. Tim Fenton

Tim Fenton New Member

@2, the museum service was running when I visited but I'd bought a three day ticket for PT and so used the tram. It was a number 14 and the nearest stop was Rukulya utca. The route ran single car Tatras marshalled in threes (they don't seem to use turning circles and the Tatras are single ended cars). The 14 tram connects with the Metro.

7. Fred Kerr

The museum shuttle is included in the admission price and the ticket can be bought from the small office on Platform 10 of Nyugati station IIRC a few yards past the Monrey Exchange office. I understand that in recent times MAV has made a charge for taking railway photographs on its stations - some kind of permit valid for the day IIRC.

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Quoted from their website..

The station itself is pretty basic (a gravel platform) leading to a section of rail bridge which goes to the back of the roundhouse, the entrance is locked between services, so when heading out people will wait by the gate for security to unlock it to get access to the station.

Their is the main roundhouse, shed storage lines, disposal point and a humungous turntable with approx 15-20 stabling lines running from it, in a full 360 degree, for outside stabling.. this is used to display a large part of the non working steam collection arranged in size/age from a small 0-4-0 to 520.034 (a BR 52 2-10-0) around it.

To be honest Nyugati is worth spending an hour in itself.. watching how it used to be with loco hauled V43 and M41s coming in, being shunt released by V46 shunters to carriage sidings whilst the V43's run off to shed... and in reverse for departures. Keleti used to be much better, but access to the platform is much more restricted than it used to be.. but if you get in watching international trains being marshalled is something to be seen.

9. Tim Fenton

Tim Fenton New Member

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

The train is a regular service to Esztergom train during the week.. obviously service trains are not free, it's only a few HUF anyway.
    The weekend service runs into the Parks own platform (rather than the running line at the back) and is invaribly a heritage DMU, but the M63, m61 (from the 3 they have) and others have been seen on it. (I spent 4 months this summer based in budapest and saw quiet a lot of the place, but have been to Budapest several times in the last few years).
    A 20 Euro donation on a sunday will see you on the footplate of the danube bend steam service (chance to fire at 60mph on the mainline) for 2 stations and you get a certificate for doing so..I did this with 109.109.

The other place of interest is only a 20 minute or so walk along the danube downstream.. where you will come across a freight yard used to stable the Floyd rail former BR class 86 electrics(as well as Sulzer 060DAs). Quite close to Nyugati is (i believe) Ganz Mavags factory which has 424001 on display outside along the main road.
    Finally if your into aviation, the Air musuem is walking distance of Ferihegy 2b terminal.. and has many Tupolev / Illyshin models on display in Malev colours.

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Am interested in the why and wherefore of this too! Was it one left in France after the fall of Dunkirk?

12. Fred Kerr

And another place of interest is Istvantelek Workshops which services the MAV Nostalgia fleet. When I helped set up the original tours with Railtrail the MAV reps were surprised that anyone would be interested in visiting but to see the facilities and the locos in various stages of decay / restoration was held by many to be the most interesting

Another sight to see is their Santa Special ( or St Nikolaus Train ) which runs with 18 coaches in top 'n tail mode between the Museum and Nyugati station. When I saw it the consist was 424.009 + 13 coaches + 5 coach dmu trainset; unbelievable sight - but it worked. A fine sight was Bill Parkers Prairie running through the shed but I musn't encourage the Swindon elite too much - there are other railways !

13. Tim Fenton

Tim Fenton New Member

Thanks for the latest replies. All interesting stuff!

That yard where the FLOYD locos are stabled ... is it anywhere near Mexikoi ut tram terminus? I recall there were sidings by the approach to the tram stop.

Thanks again everyone.

--
    Tim
    http://tim-fenton.fotopic.net/
    http://zelo-street.blogspot.com/
    @zelo_street on Twitter

14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I usually stay close to the British Embassy at the Le Meridien, and head out to the danube and south past the Marriott, the Green Bridge...

I looked it up on google maps tonight, it would appear to be Magello Lampgyar tram and HEV stop, it's by the side of the main "5" road, it's quite close to the city centre, I used to head to a Data Centre in that area and would see between 1 and 3 Floyd locomotives around every morning and evening.

I wouldnt stray onto the opposite side of the 5 after dark as theres "other business" going on in that neighbourhood.

15. Tim Fenton

Tim Fenton New Member

#14, just looked at my Tram+Metro+HEV schematic, and city map, and I can't find that name - which HEV line and tram route is it on?

16. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

try... http://maps.google.com and in the search bar enter the following coordinates: 47.450714,19.088101 will take you straight to it, 1 stop south of Kén utca

17. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    I went to Budapest in 1966 and have been meaning to go back again ever since! Some pictures from this visit are on my Fotopic site which many of you have probably seen. A friend of mine went there last year and sent me a few pictures; these, too, are on my Fotopic site.

For the benefit on any new members who may not have seen them, or even old members that might like to see them again, here's the link :

http://ronfisher.fotopic.net/c1694673.html

I have been planning another trip to Hungary for some time, so, who knows, this year, maybe. Or next, or...

18. Tim Fenton

Tim Fenton New Member

@16, got that. Reason for confusion is that my schematic calls that stop Timot utca, and my guide map doesn't go that far south.

19. 504

504 New Member

hi,
    i went on monday it was shut. but had a world with the man on the gate (and shown him foxfield and planet on my vid cam) and he gave me a guided tour around even the bits that are normal shut to the public.
    to get there the 120 bus stops a street away or get the tolley bus (like i did) #74 from the city to the end of the line, head to the over pass road then go under it by the driving test center, turn right across the railway LC (2lines) then turn left along the single track railway line (path along side). over footbridge over main line (mainline shed now on right) keep right on to road to the end turn left, over LC then next road on left then walk to the main gate. tip head towards water tower cant miss it.
    on the way back to the tolley bus they were shunting on the mainline from the museum to the main line shed moving a number of steam locos.

20. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

Bluenosejohn and Martin Perry like this.