If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cancelled Torbay Express trains

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 6026 King John, Apr 27, 2012.

1. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

I see on the Torbay Express web-site that the Poole-Oxford train on 2nd May is cancelled and so is the Poole-Bath train on 16th. This is apparently due to lack of available locos. They sound somewhat cheesed off about it as the message says that the 2nd May train was fully booked.

According to UK Steam the rostered locos are 4464 and 70000. Neither appear to be doing anything at the moment (although I guess 4464 is still at York). Does anyone know what the problem is - are the locos not well or is it a lack of support crews or something else?

Interesting how some operators (e.g. Steam Dreams) can make substitute locos appear almost literally overnight whereas Torbay Express cannot seemingly find a substitute with more notice.

2. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

The 2 locomotives shall be at the North Yorkshire Moors Steam galas in the 1st 2 weekends of May.

I do wonder why 71000 hasn't emerged yet. Had the Duke been ready maybe these trips may not have been Cancelled?

3. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Again raises the question, what comes first? Main line work or heritage line galas. I know where I would put my money, in main line work. Must be more profitable, especially as it seems one of these trips was fully booked. 400 odd disappointed people for the sake of a gala.

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Lets not jump to conclusions on this, wait for some facts.....

5. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    How many attended the gala though? A few thousand?

Thinking about possible replacement locos for the first tour.

4464 is already at NYMR, so that rules that out.
    70000 could go straight to NYMR once it leaves Llangollen, ruling that out.
    71000 is seems hasn't had its repairs completed yet.
    34067 will be in Cornwall.
    60163 is also at Llangollen, so will have to taken away by low loader, which probably won't allow time for FTR etc before the tour.
    35028 is out the following day.

That doesn't leave a lot of air braked, class 7 or 8 locos. 6201 and 46233, but would they be willing to do that much light engine running for a tour?

6. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies - that sheds some light upon it. I had forgotten about those galas. It's quite hard to keep track of locos whereabouts at times.

The idea of having a pool of locos for mainline tours is a good one but it does need at least one of the pool to be available on the required dates!

7. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Lets see - main line (train of 500 passengers) or heritage railway gala (3,000 to 8,000 visitors, or even more) - which is more important?

Were loco bookings ever confirmed, or likely loco details actually from the promoter?

Steven

8. DH34105

DH34105 Member

Latest update on 71000 is on their website tonight duke of gloucester
    71000 back in service at East Lancs this weekend for testing before resuming mainline steam tours - item was dated this evening
    Hopefully the Duke will grace us with his presence soon in Dorset! Rather close call for 2nd May if only testing this weekend but could possibly have been available for 16th may but guess there are many issues that give rise to the decision to cancel a service that we are not privy to DH

9. DH34105

DH34105 Member

Just to add to my message above - looking back through earlier entries on the 71000 blog there is a comment about all the necessary acceptances from VABs etc following the repairs and ensuring all is well and fit for main line again which could be quite time consuming DH

10. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The "appearing overnight" factor was simply down to the fact that Bittern was at the same depot as Lizzie was ie. Southall. With Bittern being at the same depot, Lizzie's support crew could still do their duties on Bittern along with a couple of Bittern's main crew over seeing things so this was never an issue. If it happened like this of course! ;)

11. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    IIRC only the stock was at Southall. Lizzie was due to come over E&C from Tyseley which makes the substitution all the more impressive.

12. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Ahh indeed she was, I somehow thought Lizzie had made it to Southall. Ah well, I hold my hands up to that "clanger", never mind but totally agree about the substitution being very impressive!

13. DH34105

DH34105 Member

As Sheff says Lizzie was at Tysley and Bittern at Southall. Fortunate that Bittern was being prepared for the Saturday and was available = does not always work like that! DH

14. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Taking Bean Counters point first. Do we even know if the loco owner was approached for these locos. for the dates in question? I would think not seeing as the owner made contractual arrangements with the NYMR to take his locos. there for their gala.

I don't subscribe to the idea that the main line is more important than heritage line galas anyway, but the most important thing is that contractual obligations (either written or verbal) always come first!

Knowing something of the NYMR fees structure and the loco. owners share of main line proceeds I would also suggest that a visit of up to 10 days on the moors may generate more net income anyway!

15. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    The last thing any operator wants to do is cancel a tour. When it becomes obvious that the planned loco is not going to be available for whatever reason, the amount of effort that goes into trying to find an alternative must be seen to be believed. I have no doubt that in this case every viable alternative was explored.

16. Pendle Witch

Pendle Witch New Member

I presume the "Bittern substitute for Lizzie" refers to the Swanage trip. I would point out that 6201 was being prepared at Tyseley, when she failed her FTR exam and Bittern was back at Southall, still warm having returned from Barrow Hill earier in the week. All credit to their people, to be able to have engine ready and crewed and pass an FTR in a very short time, as Lizzie only failed at lunchtime on Wed 18/4.

17. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Ring Martin Walker up, 55022 isn't booked for anything, the Mighty Machine will give folks a good day out. :wof:

Well it's a thought. :noidea:

18. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

And a good one at that.

19. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    And the smoke effects won't be all that different.

But watch out for Zontar and that lady friend he had at Bury - beats a Dobbette!

20. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    would it be on the back?????