If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Castle at waterloo ?

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by banana patch, Jul 15, 2013.

1. banana patch

banana patch Member

so far as I know no great western tender engine has ever made it up the swml all the way to waterloo is this correct? is this because they cannot or has nobody ever tried? I remember halls at Basingstoke on inter regional trains to Bournemouth assuming the weather gets back to normal there will still be a shortage of locos in the south nunney on a Dorset coast?? I have been out of Victoria by 6024 although to Acton for a trip down the GWR mainline just a thought!!

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Platforms on a curve will be an issue - witness arriving at No 2 at Victoria.

3. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

But perhaps a Castle could depart from Waterloo? Or would it just get stuck at Clapham Junction?

4. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Basingstoke and points south are likely to be more GWR gauge friendly as obviously they would of come down the link from Reading on inter regionals, can't see no logical reason why they would of worked north to Waterloo, although 30777 is pretty wide by todays standards so maybe a Castle might fit where she can.

Even if some did theoretically fit, most suitable current GWR Mainliners are already being utilised, only one that doesn't appear to be doing much that could is Kinlet Hall, but can you path a 60mph machine Waterlooo - Weymouth ?.

It might just be a coincidence, but the only part of the southern region VT/5043 has touched is Basingstoke - Salisbury.

5. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    VT are keen in the main to restrict their operations to what can be reached from Birmingham without making an excessively long day. It's about 100 miles from Birmingham before you hit Southern metals at Basingstoke, and probably slightly further to Salisbury via Cheltenham, Bristol and Salisbury. The distance factor as much as possible gauging restrictions may well be why VT haven't taken 5043 on a tour of third rail territory, but I'm only guessing. After all, you've not only got to get onto SR metals: you've also got to go somewhere interesting for a destination.

I remember 6024's run to Weymouth a few years back, which ran via Andover, Laverstock and Eastleigh. I have no idea whether this was because the loco was out of gauge on the main line via Winchester, or whether it was considered more interesting to take the longer route. I'm open to correction, but the only other appearance of any GWR 4-6-0 on the Southern in the preservation area to my knowledge was in 1986 when 4930 worked some shuttles from Andover to Ludgershall and then returned west via Salisbury. There was a provisional programme to run a Castle, probably 5029, over the entire LSWR Salisbury-Exeter line some years ago. It never came to pass, and I suspect that it would be impossible now, as it's hard enough to fit Tangmere in at one or two points.

I'd be interested to know whether the lack of GWR 4-6-0s over most of the Southern network is because (i) a tour operator has made preliminary enquiries about doing so and have discovered that all such classes would be out of gauge apart from a few short stretches, (ii) whether no tour operator has ever bothered to plan an excursion running GWR 4-6-0s on the SR because off an expectation that they would be out of gauge, or (iii) no tour operator believes that running a GWR 4-6-0 over the third rail network would be a winner with the enthusiast fraternity.

6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Didn't a Hall see use on at least one of the Salisbury - Yeovil trips back in the 80s? Marketed as the Blackmore Vale Express IIRC.

7. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Edit : 6998 worked some of these trains in 1986 between Salisbury and Yeovil Jct.

8. banana patch

banana patch Member

can

9. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Too much, I've reached breaking point.

My lawyers will be in touch. To cover my therapy bills if nothing else.

Made worse by my first therapy session, when I had to explain what a castle was, and why one should never, ever be allowed near Waterloo, the inner sanctum of Bulleid Pacifics.

;)

steamvideosnet likes this.
  10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

5043 has been round the Clapham - hounslow loop on at least 2 occasions... Not sure why the didnt turn it at Clapham and Kensington lines but it went off LE like the wolves were chasing it.

Slight tangent but 6024's taken the VSOE out of Victoria, but couldn't return.. It returned instead to Paddington.

11. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Re 5043. Not wolves, but a large Yeti.

Similarly for 6024, there was a Yeti blockade in place outside of Victoria.

12. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

scared the truth will out (that castles are much better)?

13. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Not at all. The worry would have been having one on a train in front of one hauled by a Bulleid. Meaning nothing but delays for the pacific.

If the Castle ever left Waterloo. I can visualise some of the Nine Elms crews failing one. "Can't take it out, we seem to have lost a whole axle and two wheels from under the footplate coming up from the Elms".

14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Sounds like a challenge to me... Where's Ben and his Railtour diary... ?
    (I already suggested he add 5043 at KX in his little black book to show us again how a castle is better than an A1)

15. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Funny you mention that as I did wonder if Swanage would work as a VT destination if they could sort turning nearer than Eastleigh or Yeovil (the latter needing two reversals in each direction).

One thing is for sure though, the LSWR routes stand a far better chance than those of LBSCR & SECR origin.

16. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

It would be a no contest. 35012 on the up Belle has been reported as setting the second highest hp/ton, (presumably for the sustained climb), of any British steam locomotive. The only one ahead of it is one run by a Duchess on Shap.

These details and quite a few more will appear in elder brother Don's book when he writes the story of what happened between Spring 1965 and July 9th 1967. Which will, as I have already stated on Nat Pres, to some extent re-write parts of British steam locomotive history.

Don is busy in other areas at present I know, but I will be prodding him gently from time to time re the book. And supplying just a few of the logs etc he will be basing his book around.

Best to take the discussion any further on the Waterloo Sunset thread, as Ralph quiet rightly moved me on last time I got all reminiscent!

So. back to Castles and where they feared to tread.

17. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Slight flaw in your plan old chum. It was a single chimney Castle v an original A1. 5043 isn't one of the former and we no longer have one of the latter.

18. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    6024 may be able to go into and out of Waterloo after the current overhaul when she has the new "thinner" cylinders fitted.................

19. banana patch

banana patch Member

I would sooner see a GWR 4 6 0 in waterloo than western region warship there again

20. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

well if it's a BULLIED he's talking about that implies unrebuilt and I'd suggest that the Castle would get clean away whilst the Spam was still spinning it's wheels in Waterloo.

Nine Elms? Isn't that a fruit and veg market? not too many crews based there.