If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Castle over Ais Gill

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Mike Wylie, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Mike Wylie

Mike Wylie New Member

Engine Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    As a current Kingmoor TMD driver I would just like to send my congratulations to the crew of Earl of Mount Edgcumbe. I have been waiting for years for the moment a Castle proved all the doubters wrong. I can only assume Western Region fireman Mr Meanley was on the shovel. Todays performance, sound and sight was truly amazing.

Coming after last years Shap success this finally puts all the GWR Northern Hill ghosts to rest.

Well done everyone.

PS I went especially slow on Thursday night with the RHTT from Appleby just to make sure the rail was nice and clean for a proper engine

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Sadly it seems that the 47 was giving a helping hand if news on the other thread regarding this tour is accurate.

4. bristolian

bristolian Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I'd expect you to say that Ian ;)... nevertheless, read on...

5. Spamcan81

Training moles
    I did say IF the news was accurate.

6. 603

603 New Member

This information is totally inaccurate.
    Strange how people haven't been asking if the scot was pushed last week!! or was it?

7. bob.meanley

bob.meanley Member

Sadly it seems that you are completely wrong spamcan. The 47 was included at West Coast's request because of the perceived rail conditions and a threat of rain, at the time the decision was made. On the day conditions at both Settle and Stainforth lead to some reasonably heavy slipping that required sanding, and on these sections the 47 was in the "on" notch position, which makes the loco take some of its own weight, but it is our view that rather than helping 5043, it was probably the other way round, as the professional opinion of such people as Albert Seymour, Ray Poole and Ray Churchill is that this would be unlikely to get a LIGHT 47 to Ribblehead at much more than 20 to 25 mph - and you have to listen to these people as they have driven a number of 47's over the last 45 years or so. Just to ensure fair play and accurate assessment of what the 47 was doing we had Mike Notley recording from the cab with details of what the power settings were.

On the way back from Carlisle, it is my information that the controller was in the off position for the whole journey between Carlisle and Hellifield, so in addition to the 353 tons of the train, we had another 120 tons of dead 47 as well with the added drag of 6 traction motors freewheeling which probably adds at least another coaches worth of resistance, so that possibly takes it to load equals 14 or 15, or put another way 470 to 500 tons. Ais Gill was topped at 50% cut off, full regulator, both injectors on and the safety valves feathering.

I am pretty sure that you infidels from foreign railways will never get the message, but with the testimony of reliable railway professionals such as Albert Seymour, Dave Fisher (VTL TRI), and Mike Notley, I have no doubt as to what went on yesterday, and to back it up the data recorder tells the same story, so I am afraid that all of you doubting Thomas's out there are going to have to swallow very hard indeed and admit that you were wrong.

In order to assist, the Vintage Trains catering team are arranging for a substantial quantity of humble pies to be made available.

PS Did anybody miss the first Castle to appear in Bham New Street station last night?

8. bob.meanley

bob.meanley Member

Mike thanks for these kind words, and your splendid efforts to clean up the railway for us with the RHTT, they appear to have worked a treat. You are indeed correct in the assumption that young Mr Meanley was firing it, with the old man reduced to working the firehole flap for him and periodically oiling it to save it from being worn out! I was quite worn out watching him.

Hopefully, your patience in waiting for this result will be rewarded by the sight of many growing fatter through heavy consumption of Humble pie, but don't hold your breath for the real bigots that will carry on saying the diesel did everything despite the OTMR telling a completely different story.

Best wishes Bob

9. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    On previous form (Shap and the Bristolian this year, to name but two!) I am surprised that people doubted 5043's performance over the S&C based on the above facts regarding the Class 47's use. Was it known as a "strong" engine during its time with British Railways?

Regards,

Dan

10. 5E Alsager

5E Alsager New Member Account Suspended

Bishop of Copmanthorpe
    Post deleted

11. bob.meanley

bob.meanley Member

Yes, and to be fair to him he has adapted to being on the "right" side of the cab very well indeed!

There again never forget that he has had a lot of experience with the products of a certain disciple of Swindon.

12. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Just for the record Bob I didn't actually say I doubted 5043 performance, simply passing on what I'd read on another thread where people were reporting the 47 giving a helping hand. Glad to see you put the record straight. I saw a video clip of 5043 climbing past Birkett Common, the sound was magnificent. Just wish I could have been there with my sound gear as I've got very little footage of a double chimney Castle being fully extended.

13. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    She certainly was a good 'un during her previous life. She spent most of her life at Old Oak Common and was a regular on The Bristolian and The Flyer.