If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cathedrals Express to Weymouth Sat 9 July, t0709a

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by gwr4090, Jul 1, 2011.

1. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Just received some times for this. Looks like a good path (via Surbiton) both ways. Waterloo-Southampton and Salisbury-Waterloo non-stop. One for KentYeti to savour perhaps ?

34067: Waterloo 07:55, Southampton DGL (water) 09:23-09:55, Wareham 10:56-11:10, Dorchester S 11:30-11:37, Weymouth 11:50. (No other stops)
    48151: Weymouth 15:10, Yeovil PM 16:10-16:40, Yeovil Jc 16:50
    34067: Yeovil Jc 17:44, Gillingham 18:15-18:18, Salisbury 18:55-19:40, Waterloo 21:21 (No other stops)

Times will appear at www.uksteam.info as soon as I have sorted one or two details.

David

2. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Well I shall be savouring it! Following the postponement of the Plymouth trip this weekend I re-booked onto this one and looking at the timings am well pleased I did. Good to have a bit of time off the train at Yeovil Jct and Salisbury on the way back too.

3. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Many thanks indeed for that David.

I was told to expect a schedule like that to Southampton as brother Don knows a thing or two about train schedules on that line! 88 mins these days is something to grab hold of I guess. Even the old 10.30 down would normally take about 86 mins onto Soton station, as the pathing in from St Denys was dreadful.

Didn't expect a non stop Salisbury to Waterloo. But 101 minutes on the direct route!

Must be a few cross overs to and from the fast line etc within that.

And I can guess exactly where they will be!

Or maybe we will be allowed to run early.............

For comparison. The sort of running we had yesterday evening from Salisbury to Woking would have equated, (taking checks and the Woking stop out), to 60 minutes to passing Woking at around 70 mph. And continuing direct to Waterloo, (again on a non stop from Salisbury basis) with speed in the high 60s and up to 70 would have seen something like a Salisbury to Waterloo, (slow into platform 16), non stop of around 86 minutes. And that is with very gentle running in from Basingstoke, i.e mainly a long way under the 75 mph limit.

But I guess like all main line SR steam these days on that ever so busy network, we shall just have to be grateful for what we are given.

Thanks again David

4. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Now I've seen the detailed timings, (thanks David), it's obvious the down schedule to Soton and Bomo is a very good one! Very close to the old two hours express timings.

Not sure who is behind that, (someone in SD at least!), but very many thanks.

If that works OK it will be a superb way to celebrate 44 years since the world ended for some of us!

Now that 101 minutes up from Salisbury.......

Used to get 91 and 94 minutes schedules on a Sunday for the ACE and reliefs. Thankfully a lot of the crews used to run close to the 80 minute timing. Either because of a late start. Or because they didn't fancy wandering along at 55 mph!

Looking at the detail, the times are quite good to start with. So maybe they include some recovery time later on........

5. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Grahame Bunker and SWT have made over 30 timetable alterations to make this work! Seems everyone is working hard both behind the scenes and front of house.

6. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Just been looking at the times on UKsteam.info. What a long day for Tangmere and her support crew! 0521 off Southall, 2340 return assuming all goes to plan. Add on all the preparation and disposal time, and that's well over 24 hours! Long day for the stewards, too...

7. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Well that down schedule is very much appreciated by those of us from the 1960s timing fratenity. So very many thanks indeed to Grahame and SWT.

As for the up schedule from Salisbury. Of course a non stop is also much appreciated. Just have to see how that one works out on the day re the actual running on such a long timing. As I mentioned above, my experience of the 1960s crews on the longer ACE relief schedules is that they tended to run just a bit slower than the ACE 80 minute schedule and kept that going until checked. Or an early arrival in London. But they could get pathways to do that, and platform space at Waterloo.

Us SR types do sometime look with great envy at what happens on the ECML, and indeed the North end of the WCML re fast steam schedules. But you only have to go and stand at Worting Junction or Woking station to see the enormous problems faced getting a 75 mph steam train fitted in amongst an incredibly busy normal service. Woking, for instance, is just non stop activity.

And I do take my hat off to the support crews etc for such a long day.

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    These timings are good given the density of traffic on the track and it's to Grahame Bunker and SWT's credit that it's been made possible. The hope now is that Tangmere can keep time and reward the planners. Perhaps this may then encourage more sensible scheduling in future. The way to minimise potential disruption to normal services is surely to keep steam rolling at decent average speeds with all the related benefits for track occupancy time and fuel consumption, not to mention more time at the destination and less of the late evening arrivals back home. Here's hoping!

9. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

Just tucking into a large piece if humble pie. After recent tour disappointments I never thought this one would run as advertised. Well done to all of those people that have been involved in planning. It certainly restores my faith in these tours. Really looking frward to it now, roll on Saturday.

10. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    How about a bit of credit for Network Rail? I'm sure this pathing won't just be down to Steam Dreams.

11. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Looked at the timings last night and was very impressed. Credit to all those involved in getting the pathing. We have got an early start Saturday to get up to Waterloo for the 07.55 departure but it should be worth it. Really looking forward to this Anniversary Run. The 9th Of July runs are proving to be rather good. Last year we had that excellent run with 46115 to Weymouth.

12. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

That was a very good run but it was RTC running it. Steam Dreams planned to go to Weymouth but ended up going to swanage with 30777 and a 37 coupled inside. We certainly had the better of the two runs that day.

13. green five

Yes RTC certainly had the better run. SD got the "short straw" last year. We nearly booked on the SD trip until we saw 46115 appear on the roster for the RTC one. I heard that SD put in the proposal for this years trip sometime last year to make sure they got the run to Weymouth this time.

14. donbenn2000

donbenn2000 New Member

Yes thanks to NR but I suspect Graeme Bunker is the one who has worked hardest on this, knowing as he does how important the occasion is. We will see what happens on the day but if Tangmere continues to be in good form then we can expecrt some good running.

Don

15. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Weather looks great - rain showers, so fire risk should not be a problem.

Do we know if a diesel will be attached at the rear?

Are there any tickets left?

This will bring back memories of the early days of Steam Dreams pre-Buker era, when the return trip from Salisbury ran non stop from Salisbury to Waterloo. I have wonderful memories of it racing through the up fast at Woking with a platform full of bewildered commuters returning from the City.

16. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Steam Dreams web-site says there are 2 places left but I think they are in "posh" class. Otherwise it's full, and so it should be! I was fortunate to grab a ticket just 2 weeks ago.

As for diesels on the rear - don't even mention it! Can't think of any operational reason why one should be needed, but you never know.

17. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

Does anyone know what the load is on Saturday?

18. green five

There might be a few seats left in some of the classes as the Website says refer to booking office so you might be in luck.

19. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

44 years ago tomorrow! (Tomorrow is the equivalent Saturday to 8th July 1967).

Seems like yesterday.

Three of us at Weymouth after arrival on the last down express from Waterloo. 35023 on the 08.30 ex Waterloo after arrival at Weymouth on 8th July 1967. Myself nearest the loco. Photo by John Tiley.

I think we will attempt to recreate the photo tomorrow after Tangy gets us there.

We'd had an interesting night. A quite large group of us down on the last 02.45 ex Waterloo after quite a busy 7th July. Intending to catch a demu back to Basingstoke then a local to Waterloo to catch 35023 on the 08.30. But the demu failed at Winchester. Good old SR Control agreed to stop the 08.30 at Woking specially, where we joined it.

[​IMG]

Really hope all goes well tomorrow and hope all of us on the train, (and linesiders), have a great day out.

PS. I'm quite pleased with the above. After all those years they sometimes go all wrinkly and tatty. Fade a lot with bits missing and can crease up a lot.

And the photo has kept well too.

20. green five

Nice picture Bryan. Lets hope all goes well tommorrow.