If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Centenery of Brig-Furka-Disentis Bahn (BFD) and Chur-Arosa line (RhB) in 2014

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by PortRoadFan, Nov 16, 2013.

1. PortRoadFan

PortRoadFan New Member

Next year, the Brig-Furka-Disentis Bahn (the original company which tried to build the Brig-Andermatt-Disentis metre gauge line in Switzerland - eventually completed in 1926 by it's successor company, the Furka-Oberalp Bahn) reaches its centenary. Has any word filtered out about any celebrations being planned by the Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn and Dampfbahn Furka Bergstrecke, as the BFD did manage to get the Brig-Oberwald-Gletsch section of the line open before their bankruptcy during WW1?

Also in Switzerland, the Chur-Arosa line of the Rhatische Bahn (RhB), reaches its centenary in December next year. I've heard elsewhere that the RhB are planning festivities for it?

Chris

2. robpalmer

robpalmer New Member

I don't know if anything is being done to celebrate the centenary but the DFB have just unveiled the rebuilt loco 9 in BFD livery. This rebuild has included removing more of the modifications made during it's spell in Vietnam and it really looks the part now, very appropriate for the centenary.

Not my photo.

Rob

image.jpg

3. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  4. iswise

iswise Member

Neil - I dont think this is the same anniversary as Chris refers to. The page you link to relates to the forthcoming 125 anniversary of the Rhatische Bahn's first section from Landquart to Klosters in 2014. I am sure the DFB will also be celebrating their centenary but I have not seen any news of it yet.
    Ian