If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Chasewater 50th Anniversary Gala - 20th - 21st June

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 37255, Jun 12, 2009.

1. 37255

37255 Guest

Any timetables available for this? Would like to pay a return visit to Chasewater for this, nice bit of Andrew Barclay 10" thrash an' all! (not to mention the undoubted star of the show Wimblebury ;)), and are those REALLY the fares?! £4.45 day rover? Bargain!

2. Tim Cowen

Tim Cowen Member

Didnt know about this event, thanks for posting. Definitely worth going, looks good.
    I saw Wimble on a low loader yesterday on the A50, wondered where it was off to.

Tim.

3. THE MELTER

THE MELTER Member

ENGINEER
    I am advised that he 10" barclay now has it,s original livery and lining out applied together with the owners name emblazened on the side just as AB sent it out in 1911,Furthermore there is a rumor that the psudo gwr barclay is now in it,s original industrial livery.

The Melter
    that little barclay also has a boootifull whistle

4. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant
    sadly I wont beable to make this one, but I wish the railway every success, i`m certainly overdue another visit to this superb railway =D>

5. 37255

37255 Guest

That's worth the price of a day rover alone! I trust the 10" will be operating passenger trips, as well as the driver for £10 advertised on the website? [-o<

6. THE MELTER

THE MELTER Member

ENGINEER
    I do know that they were fitting the vac gear on it but i do not know if it is complete,If not it will be on freights and shunts i should think.
    I would also think that the amount of movements in and out of the station area over the gala weekend will prevent the drive it for a Tenner scheme working.
    If the big 0-4-0 barclay is also in fresh paint they should look stunning whatever they are pulling or pushing.

The Melter

7. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    Not been to chasewater before, looks an Ideal time give youa visit. Being my first visit anyone know what the status is on line side passes and secondly some good vantage spots?

8. 37255

37255 Guest

Well the line runs through a park, so it's not too hard to find spots, although the 'across the water' shot has been done to death by now!

9. THE MELTER

THE MELTER Member

ENGINEER
    I have just been to have a look.
    Colin McAndrew looks abolutely stunning, (Many thanks to the tornado guys for trialling the livery) and well done to the guys that painted it so well it has to be seen to be believed.
    The Big Barclay ( 701) is in Black.
    There is a brand new diesel from Hunslet? there on test ( std gauge 0-6-0) in Lafarge livery.

The Melter

10. g4pfk

g4pfk Member

engineer
  11. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    http://5944.fotopic.net/c1715194.html

A few photos from today's (well, Saturday's) gala. A good gala, but the timetable seemed a bit too ambitious, and seemed to collapse completely come late afternoon! I arrived at 11.50 and made the 11.30 train, so things weren't going too well then, but a lot of the crews and staff seemed to be making an effort to make up the lost time.

Overall it was good though, worth making the effort going for. The food was good and reasonably priced too.

12. 37255

37255 Guest

I'd echo the above, a good gala despite the delays, until whatever happened late afternoon :-k

Also, the fireman of the 10" seemed to be struggling somewhat, judging by the pressure gauge! 8-[

Oh, and I really ought to mention Wimblebury's spectacular departure from Brownhills West with the coal train! \:D/

13. PBR Traffic

PBR Traffic New Member

Guys,

I found the gala very disappointing a 200 mile round trip for what seemed to be a freight train day! We had one round trip on the line and then got fed up of waiting. Fantaxstic facilities fantastic loco's shame about the timetable, would have been better off hauling the 101 around in place of a freight. Popped in the Dean on the way home for some Beattie haulage!

14. 37255

37255 Guest

Have to say, I couldn't disagree more 8-[ I did a couple of trips on the passenger set, in order to get in required locos, but found the freights to be far more spectacular! And it's not as though the timetable wasn't on the website...

15. Tim Cowen

Tim Cowen Member

16. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Come to Foxfield's Gala then and experience similar engines working hard on a line with real gradients! Single and double headed passenger trains, single and double headed, and banked freight trains on a 1in 19 out of the Colliery and plenty of entertainment.

17. PBR Traffic

PBR Traffic New Member

I do, i come up every year and thoroughly enjoy it, last year was fab, lots of thrash and a good service! The freight is as it should be, although an important part of the event the passenger trains take first priority! Chasewater could learn a thing or two at the foxfield gala and although the thrash is a big part of it, its not the be all and end all!

18. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Glad to hear it PBR, you'll have to make yourself known and we'll see what we can sort out! Don't know what I'll be on this year, but it'll definitely be steam of some description! #-o

Worth remembering though that both Foxfield and Chasewater are industrial railways so the passenger trains tend to take second place in some respects! Having said that it's a point of honour that we keep the timetable, which can result in some 'lively' runs with the passengers! \:D/

19. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

I had a stafforshire sunday with both Amerton and Chasewater to enjoy

My two year old was absolutely enthralled with Chasewater especially the freights , but just the sheer hustle and bustle and continuous activity . Wagons going oh, oh, oh oh oh just as in Thomas brought the biggest smile og the day two him and was priceless . In the hour we were htere we saw two passengers and the brake van trip all coming and going

Special thanks to the owner of the large barclay who let us both on the footplate . I never got a proper chance to say thankyou but it was very much appreciated

20. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    A link to the gala timetable was posted in this very thread so I can only assume that you didn't bother to read it, otherwise you'd have known there were a fair few freight trains booked. To me freight trains lift a gala out of the ordinary. We get far too few chances to see them in action as it is.