If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Clan Line Farewell 30th June

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by alastair, Jan 14, 2015.

1. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Railway Herald reports that UK Railtours and MNLPS are planning a farewell trip for 35028 prior to its withdrawal for overhaul.

Routing is said to be Victoria-West London Line-WCML-Coventry-Nuneaton-Trent Valley-Crewe-Chester(break)-Crewe,then electric hauled back to Euston. No fares are mentioned,nor is the trip on sale yet.

Good to see it on a non-VSOE trip for once.

2. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sounds good. The trip is actually mentioned in their last brochure although the start point is Euston in the brochure.

3. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Presuming 35028 is booked in at Crewe for overhaul, there is quite an order book building what with all the LSL jobs as well.
    Great to have chance to get 35028 nearer the north. It had been mooted that a final fling in the fells would happen but maybe that will be after the overhaul.

4. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

5. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    May see about it, depending on price, as I'd like to do Latchmere-Willesden northbound. Would probably bail out at Crewe on the return to get back to York.

6. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Not out of Euston then as the MNLPS site originally teased. So yet another trundle around west London to get to the WCML. Makes sense I guess as the loco has to go from Stewarts Lane anyway and might as well steam there with a train. My guess is that it will have all fallen apart when they tried to work out when the loco would next take water after dropping down into Euston and hanging around for departure. And Chester rather than Shrewsbury that again makes sense as you might as well deliver the loco to where it will be overhauled.

So that just leaves us with the hope that we go straight up to Rugby via Weedon rather than Northampton. Some hope.....

7. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Coventry - Nuneaton TV?

Don

8. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Makes a change from the last time it went up North, the most imaginative thing they could think of up there was have it shuffling round a steel yard.

Now onto the important bit. What is going to replace Clan Line on the British Pullman. Tornado?

9. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

The RH story states that the Coventry-Nuneaton routing is to provide a section not "under the wires" so coal can be shoveled forward from the tender safely.

10. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I was talking to an MNLPS insider about this tour at the weekend, and now trying to remember what he said. It will be via Northampton. IIRC, it's a water stop.

As I understand it, the main work at this overhaul will be the boiler. The rolling chassis is in pretty good shape. So much depends on what they find when they lift the boiler, but the intention is to be back at work before the end of 2016, run-in and ready for a busy year in 2017 (9th July, and all that...)

11. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Very unlikely. I think we analysed the probability of this happening on the non-stop 46233 run last year and concluded it was next to impossible, unless something unexpected happened on the day. Presumably the same logic applies to this trip, albeit 35028 will be working in the down direction ?

12. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

That sounds good. The last overhaul took a lot longer if I remember rightly with 35028 bowing out in 2001, and returned in 2007 ?

13. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

More-or-less. IIRC, the first test run was autumn 2006 - one of the last things I shot on MiniDV before going to HD.

14. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Other locos have managed to get straight down the WCML without this being necessary.

15. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

True, and doesn't 35028's tender have a higher than average coal capacity, or was this sacrificed for the air compressor, which to my knowledge, is still the only one mounted on the back of the tender in that way ? I wonder if the MNLPS will take the opportunity to move it between the wheelsets during the overhaul, and restore the tender to it's previous condition, or is that impossible perhaps due to her dimensions ?

16. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    Possibly 35018? I would have thought it would be ready by then.

17. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    They sacrificed water capacity for the 'cabinet'. I think 34027 had an air pump between the frames, so its not unusual, but maintenance considerations dictated 35028's air pump position.

18. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Is 35018 being air brake fitted?

19. Big Al

The sensible reason it was put on the back remains as true today as when it was first done. So without any inside knowledge I would say, no.

20. Big Al

Odds on that it'll be Tornado for some of the time at least.