If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Clash of Galas

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Brunel, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Brunel

Brunel Member

I see that next year's SVR's Spring Gala clashes with the second weekend of the WSR's Spring Gala.

Now I would guess that there will be alot of folks going to both Galas, and it will probably mean that numbers will be split for the second weekend.

What do people think? Should the railways within the same geographical area co-ordinate to avoid this happening? Or do people think that it makes no difference at all?

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A good 120 miles apart, does that count as the same geographical area? There are so many galas that some are bound to clash.

3. conireland

conireland Member

I was having a similar conversation with someone at the KWVR this weekend on whether they thought that the gala would do better if it was on a separate weekend to the GCR gala. I suppose though, with so many galas at this time of year, there are bound to be two or more galas on the same weekend, which is unfortunate in one sense but in another, if marketed correctly could be of benefit to both parties if it is suggested that an enthusiast could visit Gala A on Saturday and Gala B on Sunday

4. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    I have noticed too that increasingly we're seeing large appealing galas set on the same weekend. In this game, competition is in no-one's interest and a little co-operation could go far, although clashes would still be inevitable they could be reduced.

Regarding the clash you have specifically mentioned, I imagine that those wishing to do both will attend the WSR's first weekend and go to the SVR the weekend after. When it comes to distance I think it is fair to say that, from an enthusiast's perspective, the WSR and SVR can be considered to be in the same area. Enthusiasts are prepared to go many many miles for an event they have an interest in.

5. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think it depends on what you're offering and where things are. For example, take the Bluebells vintage trains gala next month. If that were being held on the same day as a vintage trains event somewhere else it might be an issue. But if its held on the same day as an S&D gala at somewhere like the Great Central then I can't see much of a conflict. Or the RHDR gala "competing" with the WSR Autumn Steam Gala last weekend, two very different animals.

I'd say the best bet is to avoid other galas within say 70-80 miles (so don't have the big gala at the Mid Hants the same weekend as the Swanage Railway, for example) or more than that if they're similar events (e.g. an LMS weekend at the Severn Valley and the Great Central is just going to muddy the waters).

6. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Alternatively , lets consider a different approach . Could railways in close proximety consider synchronising gala's and selling a package price that makes the journey so much more worthwhile

Staffordshire steam weekend , with Foxfield , NSR , Apedale and Chasewater . Spread the gala over a longer period , vintage buses between railways , loco swap between the lines . Or Derbyshire with Peak Rail, MRT , EVLR and (maybe ) Crich . Joint tickets or large discounts offered . With fuel so expensive , what makes the journey worthwhile ?

7. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)

I understand that the date of the SVR's Spring Gala next year was changed because of a change in availability of a certain "special guest" engine.

David

8. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

There could be a positive out look on having two galas clashing together. Customer from a long distance away can visit both galas. Not everyone can afford to travel or find time to travel to galas on consecutive weekends.

9. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I wasn't aware of this until the creation of this thread and I think it's a great shame. I wonder what is the attraction the SVR is booking that makes it so special for a 'Branch Line Gala' or has the SVR changed its spots.

Well, I would normally go to both, but no I'll miss the SVR next year, the second weekend of the WSR SSG is just too great a pull. It would be interesting to hear the views of enthusiasts who live about halfway between the two railways and who don't mind travelling north and south down the M5 on successive days on the same weekend.

It would also be interesting to know if the WSR is going to co-operate by making its SSG less of a draw, but then, why should it?

Regards

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I could offer a different angle...
    Quote Charles Darwin, it's survival of the fittest.
    The gala with the best roster will be the clear winner in the visitor stakes, if two lines go head to head.
    Obviously no one wants a loser in preservation, but if heads won't come together...

I wonder how the ELR steam gala will do, it's the scraped together home fleet, plus the super D for £24, which you can ride behind as much as you like till next Year for half the price any other weekend... Yet the week before they are running 5 Deltics !!!! For the same price, IMHO that's a real Ying and Yang of galas.

11. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Are moderators allowed to troll?

12. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

That reads to me like it is his opinion (agree or disagree) rather than trolling to me and yes moderators are allowed to have an opinion. He does have a point, if the product does not differ enough from the norm then will the gala attendance suffer as a result? Seems a reasonable question to me and certainly not trolling in the slightest.

13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I am allowed an opinion.

£24 for five Deltics... Wow..
    £24 for 1 medium term visitor and whatever else ..not wow.
    Chose two galas On two different railways on the same day, the best will win.
    End of.

As I said Ying and Yang, . 50% for, 50% against.
    Tell me my post is biased.

Is yours ?

14. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    I had same problem last weekend with WSR & NYMR only being a few miles apart, being based near Sheffield NYMR was slightly closer give to take another 100 miles, but despite this I opted to go to WSR, which on the face of it may have been a bit of a surprise. Both Gala's had not had the best of luck with some of there guest engines, but it came down to simple logic in the end, I only get to WSR for gala events being so far away, while NYMR being closer I have visited several dozen times this year and on top of that their 1940's weekend which also runs a gala program is this weekend with the same guest engine.

GCR and KWVR was another story, as I am almost slap bang in the middle of both, however KWVR for me is a better balanced railway offering a greater verity of shots, all the loco's face the same way and it up hill most of the way, so you always get what you are after. GCR on the other hand always pulls out the stop and undoubtedly packs more into gala then any other railway, as such I find it a pity when they clash with KWVR but as long as I get 3 workable days then I can do two at KWVR and then one at GCR. As it happened the weather help this years with kwvr being better on Friday,Saturday and gcr have the better day Sunday which is exactly what I was after. If we had had 3 good days at kwvr then that would have been tricky for me on the Sunday.

15. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    I would hazard a guess that the planned alterations to the NR connection at Kidderminster will preclude large mainline locomotives from visiting for the SVR's autumn gala next year, which should appeal to you judging by your previous stated preference for more appropriate locos to the line.

16. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

From what I heard the spring gala is going to have a big engine theme with smaller engines taking the stage at the ASG due to the NR work.

17. conireland

conireland Member

However, when you consider that 45321 is also appearing as a guest, placed along with the rest of the engines that are appearing it's a good gala. There are many galas across the preserved railway network that just have the home fleet along with one or two visitors and they don't seem to do badly in terms of turnout

18. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

What is the ELR home fleet these days?

19. conireland

conireland Member

By 'home fleet' I was referring to: 71000 (based at the ELR, owned by the 71000 group), 32 (owned? by ELR), 1370 (owned privately but based at ELR), 80080 (based at the ELR for 2011), 132 (based at the ELR 2011)

*Of course 13065 (Crab) is an ELR loco but it's currently under overhaul

20. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I guess 32, 1370 and 71000, I thought 45231 was a resident, but I stand corrected. 80080 and J94 are on loan/ hire/ visiting.
    45337 is in steam at llangollen this weekend and doing driver courses ( according the the LR website), so I guess it won't be returning soon. 47324 is not there either.

There are threads out there for both ELR galas. If anyone desires, you can always create an ELR steam fleet thread.

Deltic gala..
    http://railways.national-preservati...C-GATHERING-on-the-ELR-15th-16th-October-2011

Steam weekend
    http://railways.national-preservati...way-October-Steam-Gala-22nd-23rd-October-2011

Not wishing to start an ELR debate, it's a gala clash debate, (any railway any gala) let's get back to topic, before the boys from bury knock on my door.