If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cotswold Venturer, 30th July 2016

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Steamage, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

The RTC web-site suggests 46233 is rostered for this trip. That's a turn up for the books! I wonder whether NR have checked the gauge yet? I wonder when she will arrive in Poole, and by what route?

RTC says out via Bristol, return via Oxford, but I hear that the line between Oxford and Radley is to be shut completely from July 30 to August 15 while some new culverts are built and the line is raised above flood-water height - see http://www.networkrail.co.uk/great-western-route-modernisation/oxford/

2. eggbert

eggbert Member

IT
    Maybe up and back the same way?

3. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes, I spotted this one on the website. 46233 made it right through to Weymouth in August 2008 on what turned out to be the very inappropriately-named "Sunny South Express" - it apparently poured with rain for much of the day! Hopefully, gauging checks have already been done but the LSWR Bournemouth line does seem reasonably accommodating - even 6024 worked through some years back.

The departure from Poole is provisionally scheduled for 06.35. In the recent past, Poole-originating steam trains have run down to Swanage the previous evening and spent the night there

johnnew likes this.
  4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Two bits of information there that makes you wonder how tenable this one will now be. The GWML will also be busier than usual and it seems inevitable that the unusual route via Melksham will be lost.

5. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    This one has been removed from RTC page. A lot of cancellations starting to pop up. We need to get 70000, 70013, 61306, 6201, 60009 back in running order quickly as availability is once again starting to cause problems.

6. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    The 30 July Cotswold Venturer has been cancelled due to gauging issues wth 46233. There is no other loco available. It seems that the summer steam programme in the south is dependent on the return of 70013.

banana patch likes this.
  7. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    There are no gauging issues with 46233, there are gauging issues with NR infrastructure. Each time a tour is cancelled because NR can't keep the ruddy track in the right place they should be fined.

8. Big Al

And even if that happens, we also seem destined to have 'accompanied' steam as the norm. One does also wonder whether the impact of Wootton Bassett and the added complications of vacuum only rolling stock are now starting to show themselves.

1020 Shireman likes this.
  9. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    That's polite. Assisted Steam to tell it like it really is.

10. JDTTRAINS

JDTTRAINS Member

Station Team Leader, Thameslink
    Been told down at the shed at Loughborough that 70013 is due back sometime in August, after some more tests and running in on the Great Central.

11. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Let's hope they take the time to fix all the gremlins on the GCR before heading back to the mainline. Yes, RTC and SD are a bit stuck without her, but they need reliability more than anything.

12. TH Railway Videos

TH Railway Videos New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not surprised they cancelled knowing 46233 won't fit through Bath (Old railtour reference cliche') ;)

13. MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65 Member Friend

Not sure a Duchess has ever been over the Cotswold line - 46233 has been to Worcester before but only from either the north (Kidderminster) or South (Cheltenham) directions afaik.

14. CIBoatExpress

CIBoatExpress New Member

Retired
    Would you like to elaborate on your Wootton Bassett and vac only rolling stock points please?

15. Big Al

Nothing sinister implied there. However, one of the Wootton Bassett recommendations was to look at (quote from p75 of report):
    "the compatibility of braking performance of steam-hauled trains and/or preserved vehicles with signal spacing on lines where signals are more closely spaced (eg lines where different maximum permitted speeds apply to passenger and freight trains)"
    This is to do with stopping distances and the responsiveness of braking systems where one can only assume that a question has been asked about any differences in effectiveness between vacuum and air braked operation.

In addition, we already know that DBC cannot rescue a train that is vacuum braked only but at least it has access to a network of locations where such rescue locomotives are based for air braked stock. By contrast, with a train that is vacuum braked only, WCRC doesn't have that facility and as we know also has to take its own locomotive with the train should any shunting movement be needed. The Kent trip with SD today is an example.

This is a long way away from the thread title but the point I am suggesting - that's all it is - is that both of the above may make stock availability (as well as loco availability) a factor in planning steam charters in future. Good for safety but maybe more restricting on what can go where and with what.