If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

CREWE-BUILT LOCOS FOR THE L&Y?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Guest, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am led to believe that some 2-4-0 locomotives were built by the L&NWR at Crewe in the late 19th Century for the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway, a number of which then came to be based at Lostock Hall shed for working trains into the Fylde. Can anyone shed any light on any of this?

2. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'd need to look it up, but apparently the L&Y was in some difficulties at the time with its loco stud (and pretty well everything else as well) and ordered a number of engines from Crewe works. 2-4-0s of the 'Newton' class were involved, and I think, but am not certain, that some DX Goods might have been part of the deal also.

The LNWR got itself into some legal difficulties through this as its remit from parliament allowed it to build engines for its own use only. The private loco building firms complained and obtained an injunction preventing any further such collaboration.

3. David Ward

David Ward Well-Known Member

Driver- Northern Rail at Liverpool Lime St
    26 Dx 0-6-0s were supplied to the LYR in 1871. Also 5 0-4-0ts were transferred to the LYR. At the time there was a proposal for a merger that didn't happen, and the LYR's Mile Platting works was inadequate for the company's needs.

Info taken from 'FW Webb, in the right place at the right time' by John Chacksfield.

Can't find any info on the Newton 2-4-0s in that book but it would have been earlier in LNWR history, but I'm sure I've read about the LYR acquiring some somewhere.

4. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Despite having several books on this railway, I can find very little information. Noel Coates in Lancashire & Yorkshire Miscellany Vol 2 says that, following a fire at Miles Platting (then the L&Y's loco works) in 1873 which put an end to loco building at that location, that railway turned to its friends at Crewe to help them out. This latter building a number (undisclosed) of Newton class 2-4-0s; Crewe was already building DX Goods 0-6-0s for the L&Y, building some 86 in all.

And that, I'm afraid, is as much as I can find at home!