If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Curitiba Station : Rogers & Co Wolverhampton locomotive

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by ADB968008, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Just recently I got a trip to the "worlds local bank" in Curitiba, Brazil.
    During my time there I escaped to look around, I took an amazing trip through the rainforest to Morretes, sadly only a Bud Railcar, though it was a cab ride.

However the old central Curitiba station has been converted into a shopping center with a small musuem, interesting enough place, with a US build steam locomotive however I came across this product of Wolverhampton, which no one there seemed to know anything about it.

Anyone any ideas ?

2. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Funny I have almost the same pictures as I too work in Curitiba every so often...

Near the airport there is also a small US industrial loco in a scrapyard. I keep meaning to take a picture but it always seems to be raining (a frequent occurence in Curitiba).

3. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

The 2-4-0T is a Bagnall (so Stafford rather than Wolverhampton), in fact it's the oldest surviving Bagnall, WB 1058/1889 according to Baker & Civil's Bagnalls of Stafford. Rogers was an export agent, the 1888 on his plate is a small mystery (could be order date as the loco was completed in January 1889). Gauge is a shade under 2', named Castro when new, Baker and Civil have little info on its career before restoration (done some time before 1988) and exhibition in Curitiba.

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I think I know the scrapyard you mean, not too far from the workshops for the Sierra Verde ?

Heres a few more pictures of the Sierra Verde line, very impressive.

5. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    I really must arrange to go and stay for while and explore as my trips are mostly one or two days in the various places I have to visit (car plants). The scrapyard is only about 5km max from the airport and is not rail connected. I'll see if I can get my colleague to get a picture for me, he owes me a favour after having found him spare parts for his Alfa.

6. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Fascinating - thanks for sharing this with us. Surely even a cab ride in a Bud unit is quite reateable these days?! Looking forward to more photos.