If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dartmouth Steam Railway Heritage Festival 28th - 30th May 2011

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Roosterrory, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Roosterrory

Roosterrory Member

Fireman/Fitter at PDSR
    Right Folks,

As many off you are probably aware by nowm one off the highlights off this years event will be the debut apperance off 7827 "Lydham Manor" in fully lined BR black livery. She will also be running as 7800 "Torquay Manor" for the weekend. There will be a intense timetable in operation, with both platforms in use at Goodrington which should make the timetable more interesting.

At Churston we will be celebrating teh 150th year anniversey off the railway reaching here, there will be a huge military encampment here, from the school grounds adjacent to the railway, right down to teh workshop. We have a Sherman Tank and full size replica Spitfire coming!! Amongst all sorts off Jeeps, Guns, half Tracks etc. The workshop will house teh Spitfire, where you can also view 75014 "Braveheart", which is currently in bits. The Paint shed will house a model display and there will be classic cars on the station forcourt amongst other attractions yet to be confirmed. There will also be a minature railway. It is hoped the Weary Ploughman Pub will be involved in supplying gorgeous food and drink all weekend.

It is hoped that Kingswear will display some classic motorcycles, an air raid shelter and the 08 will be doing brake van rides here too.

Paignton should have some classic fairground rides and more classic vehicles.

In operation over the weekend should be 4277, 5239 and 7827 "Lydham Manor" There will also be a war train running up and down, hopefully a mix off coaches and vehicles "fitted" out. More deatils will be posted as we know them and you can keep upto date on our website at www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk

It's hoped to be a hugely succesful event and hope to see you there!

2. Collett Goods

Collett Goods New Member

Such a pity that this event clashes with the South Devon Railway's West Country branch line weekend and cider festival.

3. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Why? Two events in the same area over a Bank Holiday weekend. There could be many people enticed to come over with the chance to visit 2 rlys instead of one.

4. Unlikely

Unlikely New Member

Agreed, doesn't apply for me with these events as these two lines are my locals, but I know when I'm doing a long-distance trip if I can get two events in at neighbouring lines in a single weekend trip then that makes it even more tempting.

5. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

Agreed. These two lines are literally on top of each other. Definitely a good thing to be on over what is a long weekend. The next thing would be for a heritage bus to run between the two railways.

Paul

6. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Route 100 links Paignton + Totnes + often uses "elderly" buses!! A short walk along the R Dart links the bus with Littlehempston stn.

Every enthusiast must wish this innovative gala well. Lots of fun. 7800 AND passing at Goodrington is tremendous

N P members pleases try + support this one (+pop over to the SDR. X81 also links TQ/Paign/Tot/Ply as well as FGW

Ray Mason

7. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    I'm bringing my son back from university that weekend; shall stop at Newton Abbot and put him on the train down to Cornwall, while I cover both these great lines - not missing out on a BR livery 7827 alias 7800!

He will be welcome to stick around if he wants to.

8. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

Definitely sounds like a not to be missed event. However, I shall have to miss it as I will be working all weekend!

Paul

9. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Any more details available? Found the following on the website. Is there going to be a timetable etc released ? Of more importance is the repaint on schedule ? :p

10. Roosterrory

Roosterrory Member

Fireman/Fitter at PDSR
    A timetable is in the "finalising" stages and will be available before the event. The repaint hasn't started yet! 7827 Lydham Manor will be starting our running season on Friday 1st April and running up untill Wednesday 20th April. She will then be washed out and sent to Churston the following week where the repaint will start. So any off those wishing to see her in green one more time had better come down in the next 3 weeks!

11. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Cool, hoping to come down for the Sunday after visiting Didcot the Saturday to see the Railmotor and 6023. See what I can sort out.

12. GWR

GWR Member

Inventory Planner
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Just a thought, wonder as they are advertising double headers & 7827 "Lydham Manor" (As 7800 "Torquay Manor") is to be painted black, if they have thought of may be hiring a loco.
    Say 9017 Earl Of Berkley for the weekend as think they might look good double heading together in black.
    Probable cost to much money to road it from the Bluebell if it were available, but might get a lot more people coming over from the South Devon Railway with there West Country branch line weekend and cider festival on at the same time ! The problem is that the 100 Route only goes the Steamer Quay & there is a stop in Totnes it's self & it's a bit of a walk to Totnes Station but can be done 20mins walk if memory serves correct !

I hope to be down in Devon that weekend to see a black Manor.

13. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    9017 is going to South Devon the month before. Don't know how long they are hiring her for though.

A BR Dukedog and BR Manor would be one tasty combination, sadly I think it's one of them we are just simply going to have to wait a bit longer for. Think I'll be running Bachmann's '00' model with my 7819 model before we see the full size version.

14. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody

15. tuffer5552

tuffer5552 Member

7827 will run until Wednesday!
    4277 will be taking her place from Thursday onwards.

7827 will then be washed out and taken to Churston for rubbing down and painting!

7800 plates nearly done! They look very good indeed!

Tender motifs here, smoke box plates on order, shed plates on their way. 7800 will appear at about 8am on Saturday 28th May at Paignton.

The timetable for the Heritage Festival has been sorted. First train from Paignton, 1030, on each day will be 7800 and 5239 doubleheaded. 7800 will work a goods train, the two 2-8-0 tanks individually work the Troop Train and the 52 will run a late afternoon goods also.

Away from the railway side of things, we have a cracking model show coming together for Churston, a classic fairground at Paignton, vintage and classic vehicles at both Churston and Paington and maybe even Kingswear, railway photographic displays from a top local photographer, vintage photo collections from various sources including Brixham Museum, a few traction engines at Churston, both large and small! Also, at Churston we have something really rather special. A WW2 display, involving nearly 40 military vehicles, including a "working" Anti-Aircraft gun, a full size replica Spitfire aircraft and a working US Army Sherman Tank, these will all be at various sites around Churston. There will be refreshments and food available at Churston!

Come and support this event please!

16. Tim Cowen

Tim Cowen Member

Tuffer, a couple of questions: Will the full timetable/loco roster be available before the event, and do you know which way round the Manor is planned to be facing?

17. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Thanks for details, Tuffer. This looks really good.

18. Roosterrory

Roosterrory Member

Fireman/Fitter at PDSR
    The manor will be turned peridodically throughout the weekend and the timetable will be made available prior to the event.

19. Tim Cowen

Tim Cowen Member

Thanks Rory. Looks like being a great weekend.

20. tuffer5552

tuffer5552 Member

We are having a mini leaflet made for the "gala" to show What's On and Where and the timetable.

We will also try and get it onto the website soon, pdf file best option?