If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

December Issue

Discussion in 'The Railway Magazine' started by MikeParkin65, Nov 8, 2007.

1. MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65 Member Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Another very good issue. Particularly enjoyed the David Wilcocks interview with Peter Townsend.

Also has one of the best recent photo's i have seen of the ever photogenic Duchess albeit pounding up the ECML!

2. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes, the RM just seems to get better and better. The December issue is very good with something of interest for most enthusiasts. I really like Phil Marsh's "New" Railtour section.

3. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Gents

Thanks you for those comments. Yes, the Duchess pic is a cracker. And we have some more great pics for the next issue.

We try to keep it fresh and topical too. Next month will include part 2 of Top Shed Man. It's as fascinating as part one.

As for the Railtour section, we decided that a revised approach was needed, and from a previous career in the railway industry Phil built up many contacts within the railtour market, so he is ideally placed to take over the column from me, so I can do other things.

Can't say what yet, but 2008 could be an interesting year.

4. Dave Roderick

Dave Roderick New Member

The picture of the Eurostar halfset on page 3 is interesting. It looks as if there is a tail lamp on the end of the set as well as on the barrier vehicle attached at the rear. It may not be switched on but it seems unusual to leave a tail lamp in that position. Although the track circuitry would tell otherwise, in the event of the barrier wagon becoming detached the half set would still have the appearance of a complete train.
    Perhaps the barrier wagon is to be slipped somewhere enroute :lol:

5. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

Nice to see the pic of Palmerston in Cutting Mawr on the WHR on the contents page - all accounts suggest the light was very tricky. Who wrote the caption though? That was a photo charter, not a route learning trip, and the smaller locos will not be confined to the FR when the complete system is joined up.

6. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t have thought that the caption was that inaccurate, there must have been something learnt from that day… Rather than criticise free publicity, would it not be wise for the FR to submit tailored information to such publications in advance? Surely the responsibility for accurate press releases is that of the FR publicity machine?

7. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

The wording of the caption was agreed between the General Manager and the photographer, and is technically correct.

8. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Having not passed my rules & regs, I am advised by Phil Marsh who has, being a qualified main line guard, that the use of two tail lamps is incorrect as you do not know which is the genuine last vehicle.

I suspect we may get some letters about this !

Still, a very unusual move.