If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Development of volunteer numbers at preserved railways?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Christoph, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Hello everyone,

an article in the magazine of "my" UK preservation scheme carried the bad news that volunteer involvement has been on a rapid decline since 2003. In one department alone the number of volunteers days sunk by well over 20 percent since 2003, obviously because 20 percent of individual volunteers dropped out for various reasons. The article also suggested that the decline may be even greater since the actual hours are not recorded, just the days present, no matter is that means one hour or ten hours.

Do other railway preservation schemes face similar problems or is that unique (in which case I would start to worry if I'm in the right preservation society)?

Thanks for you replies.

Kind regards

Christoph

2. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

I strongly suspect that it isn't the only place that is experiencing such a reduction in numbers. The recruitment and retention of volunteers (in my opinion) is one of the greatest problems facing the preservation movement at present and moving forward.

3. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    Hi,

There was this thread that looked and debated the issue.

Can't put the link but it was called 'What railways will be still with us in 10 years?'

I think a lot of it can go in cycles with loads applying for different positions over different years.

There are many issues that can lead to volunteers leaving. Sadly it can occur in any organisation and I know this as I am in a music society that is now unfortunately half the size it used to be due to a number of reasons.

I think a lot of it is down to the people there eg on the Welsh Highland moving rail in a midge laden forrest wasn't too fun but was made up for in bucket loads by the people who volunteered there and worked with and is why I have been back since. There are of course many other issues but I think that thread probably has a lot of things and views on the matter.

Regards

Duncan

4. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This subject has been aired in several journals in the last couple of years. One significant factor quoted is the economic down-turn and the considerable rise in fuel costs - people don't have so much money available so cannot afford the more expensive fuel to travel to their preserved railway so regularly.

Perhaps to a lesser extent too some preservation schemes don't plan properly to either enhance volunteers experiences or to replace volunteers lost through retirement or death. The National Traction Engine society has a scheme for 'steam apprentices' which has been very successful in getting young blood into traction engine preservation - a few railways have followed their example also with some success, but I think more effort is needed.

Regards,
    John Webb
    (St Albans Signal Box Preservation Trust)

5. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Hello,

thanks for the replies so far. I know the discussion "Which railway will still be with us in 10 years" and will look at it again.

I now think that the question should have been asked the other way round: Which preservation scheme did not suffer from a reduction in volunteers and why? Any answers to that?

Kind regards

Christoph