If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Diesel or Steam

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by The exile, Mar 19, 2009.

1. The exile

The exile New Member

For those who regularly visit both diesel and steam galas, which is more popular and have you noticed a difference in the general age profile of those in attendance?

Logic suggests that diesel galas should generally be attended by the younger enthusiast but the reality could be different. Personally I have never attended a diesel gala and yet I am too young to remember steam on the big railway. :-k

2. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I am of the same position, I have seen pictures of diesel galas and it seems there is a younger basis.
    I wonder if its the same of diesel tours

3. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

All I can say from being involved in both types of gala are that diesel galas have more younger men and steam have more families.

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Definitely agree...
    there are younger people on Diesel Galas.

5. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    I must say I don't visit diesel Galas at all, just the steam ones but I have been to the SDR one twice, and actually it made a nice change from bing behind a steam engine

6. ernestgew

ernestgew Member

I do a bit of both on the SDR, which ever happens to be pulling the train I'm rostered on! Still prefer steam, but also enjoy diesels at the same time, espcially if they're working hard and thrashing! I think that all railways should have a place for both, and although steam should play the forefront in activities, as they are what the families have really come to see, a piece of history, however we should make sure that diesels are preserved and un, as they do have a large and increasing market. However I must say that I was a little disappointed to hear of the Bluebell's diesel passenger services now, I know that they need to generate extra revenue in these times, but it was a one-off railway with a different point. Still, everything changes at the mo.

7. Edward

Edward Member

I avoid both like the plague; I'd sooner work on a "normal" midweek running day, when we cater predominantly for the family market.

8. Ratty

Ratty New Member

agricultural contractor
    I love both sides of the fence, younger people do generally go to diesel galas, be couse they don't remember steam engines working on main line. I reckon