If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dinting Railway Centre

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by neildimmer, Jan 31, 2010.

1. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

Hi All

I have added some recently acquired photos of locos at Dinting Railway Cetre, probably from the early 80's
    532 Blue Peter
    http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.net/p63125572.html
    5596 Bahamas
    http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.net/p63125473.html
    5690 Leander ariving at Dinting
    http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.net/p63125528.html
    1000 Midland Compound
    http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.net/p63125443.html
    http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.net/p63125444.html
    6115 Scots Guardsman at Dinting (in LMS Black livery) with 1000 Midland Compound
    http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.net/p63119141.html
    http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.net/p63119154.html

Neil

2. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

Neil

I think you'll find the picture of 532 was actually taken at Didcot Rly Centre, not Dinting, during their GW150 event, in 1985. The loco was, however, still resident at Dinting, at that time.

James

3. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

Thanks James, i was going on info received with the photos

Neil

4. willig

willig Member

5. willig

willig Member

6. willig

willig Member

I don't know about the other chap, but my photos aren't bought. I took them all myself.

7. billr2e

billr2e New Member

Attached Files:

8. tilling

tilling New Member

retired
    I have just read that the former museum site at Dinting is going to auction in September. Has it got a future as a Steam Railway Centre? (dintingrailwaytrust@hotmail.co.uk)

9. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

10. tilling

tilling New Member

retired
    Gav 106,
    I am hoping to gauge opinion as to whether members here think Dinting could be rebuilt and become a sustainable steam centre. Do you know where I can find some history? If favourable perhaps the site could be purchased for that purpose by the Dinting Railway Trust before the auction.
    Del.

11. i doubt the dintoids would be interested now they are very well rooted at ingrow railway center on the KWVR

12. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

13. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    So - the Warburtons have had enough!

It will be interesting to see what happens.

There is no rail connection now and there are no worthwhile buildings left now. The former Manchester bound platform buildings are utterly derelict and the former engine shed likewise - a crying shame when one considers the effort put in to re-establish a rail presence there between 1968 and 1988.

14. tilling

tilling New Member

retired
    Who are the Warburtons?
    Do you think Dinting should/could be ressurected?
    Perhaps this should become a poll?
    dt.

15. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I would love to the see the Engine shed preserved, if the site isn't bought for preservation it will either end up as rubble or a nice house.

16. monarch

monarch Well-Known Member

carpetfitter
    looking at these photos certaintly brings back some good memories of visiting dinting as a child

17. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    The Warburtons bought the site in 1967 and leased it to the BLS until 1982.

The BLS solicitors made a horlicks of the lease renewal in 1982 and the Warburtons took the opportunity to put a S28 exempt lease in place - i.e. fixed term - no right of renewal.

In 1988 the BLS relocated to Ingrow and the society has been on a one way slope since - under the same chairmanship all those years.

The Dinting site has remained unused and derelict ever since. IIRC the "new" shed was sold to the ELLR don't know if it was ever used. The site no longer has any rail connection so any rail future is basically either prohibitively expensive or impossible.

I shall be enquiring of the High Peak Borough Council whether the site has any planning or other prejudicial status prior to auction. It will be interesting to see what happens

18. tilling

tilling New Member

retired
    Thank you for the info. I know the Dinting Railway Trust (dintingrailwaytrust@hotmail.co.uk) will be interested in your findings at High Peak, as a bid by the DRT is being assembled. dt.

19. jubs

jubs New Member

As an ex member of Dinting. The position as I seen it: In the early 70's the bank (Williams & Glyns) tried to for close the bank loan to the land owner who purchased the land for the society. The Bank was run by a member of the society committee and the idea was to turn the land over to the society... This did not happen.. So the "rot" had set in........ Matters did not improve when the committee in there wisdom sub let some of the land to a bus company.. After this the land lord the late Mr Warburton (Senior) decided he wanted every committee member to put up £1000 guarantee plus a hike up in the rent. The committee objected so it was Good Bye Dinting........ personally, I think things could have been different with a complete change of chairman and committee. May be running to Woodhead would have saved them.....Yes, even now they still have the same chairman. Even now they concerntrate on restoring OTHER Locomotives rather than there own. They wouldnt consider diesel power other than as a shunting locomotive. That is how I seen it. Yes there were some happy times. Now they have gone..
    If it gets the go ahead, And if they can get up and running Good luck to the Dinting Railway Trust

20. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

According to our local free newspaper the "Peak Advertiser" the Dintings Sidings comprising of 9 acres of former railway yard and museum including station house and good shed are up for auction on the 20th September at 3.00pm at the Agricultural Business Centre, Bakewell. The auctionners are Bagshaws (www.bagshaws.com). The picture in the advert shows the single (?) road shed - no guide price is listed