If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

DIY Photo Gallery (in light of Fotopic debarcle)

Discussion in 'Photography' started by BillR, Jan 3, 2009.

1. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

2. blackfive

blackfive Member

If I were you, I'd do a bit of searching for reviews (Google is your friend here) and see how they rate before choosing a web host.
    From my own experience you usually get what you pay for, free hosts in particular are often worth exactly what you pay for them. At one time there were a few good free hosts (usually paid for by advertising on your pages) but, while there are plenty of free or ridiculously cheap hosts about, good ones now seem as rare as rocking horse droppings.
    I pay just over £100 a year for my two sites but for that, I get more web space than I could possibly use, plenty of bandwidth, fast UK servers, near 100% uptime and, most important of all, excellent support. On one occasion, I had a problem with email sorted in 10 minutes from raising a support ticket. Not too remarkable in the general scheme of things perhaps, except this was on Christmas day!
    I'm not going to advertise them here because there are plenty out there who charge a reasonable price for a good service, all you need to do is a bit of research.
    Can't comment on the other free or paid for image hosting sites. Never used any. I prefer to keep control of my own material!

3. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

4. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    After looking at the site . Ive got to say thier customer surport is brilliant . I have yet to put money into it , yet there still first class service .

If i can find anything on google about them and its good , i think ill just have my own domain etc....Probuly be worth it in the end.

5. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

Anyone tried "Coppermine" as template to produce their own gallery. If not , what did you use?

6. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

It's funny you should ask that because my son who is "au fait" with these things did some research for a template for me to use and came up with "Coppermine". At present I'm uploading some of my stuff and so far it seems to work ok.
    It's by no means the finished article but if you want a peek...........................http://www.stuartbrown.me.uk/cpg/index.php

Obviously there are other themes that you can choose.

7. rodders154

rodders154 Member

Retired Grumpy old man
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    My site is hosted by them the have excellent customer service

8. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

very impressed with your site Stuart - certainly one of the best sites for features outside of fotopic ive seen

can you increase the size of the viewed images?

john

ps - nice piccys aswell

9. Swiss Toni

I assume you mean is it possible to upload & show larger images, if so then yes.
    You did click on the image to show the bigger size (800x600) in a new window didn't you?

10. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

YES - just wondered if possible to view them bigger than 800 x 600 upto say full screen size on a laptop

11. Swiss Toni

I uploaded all the images at 800x600 to make them quicker to load, particularly on laptops and to avoid scroll bars on smaller screens.

12. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    I resize mine to 1024 x 768 (or whatever it comes out at) as that's what my son-in-law, who knows about these things, says I should do.

If a replacement for Fotopic does become necessary, Coppermine would seem to be a good one to consider. How much does it cost?

I see that you have a Flickr site as well. Do you plan to keep that one on, or switch to Coppermine completely?

One of the advantages of Fotopic is / was that sites could be grouped into communities so all the sites containing, for example, Ffestiniog Railway pictures could be seen together on one page. Flickr offer something similar with their 'tags'. Does Coppermine have such a facility, would you know?

As I have so many pictures and collections on Fotopic, I would be reluctant to change if I didn't have to. One report said that Fotopic would be off-air for 72 hours; that would be until, but including, today. So lets see what tomorrow brings - if anything!

13. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

The "Coppermine" Template is a free download -try googling it

what costs is the web hosting and web space -not sure what that is going to cost

14. Swiss Toni

I intend to offer a print facility so 800x600 is a taster, plus they load faster, not everyone has a 14mb connection.
    The Flickr site will be slimmed right down but it still has it's uses.

15. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

Although many photographers use photoshop, I dont think many maybe aware of the built in WebPhoto gallery automation option within the program.

It has several basic templates which it turn can be customised.