If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Double Heading

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by bewarethebeeman, Apr 15, 2009.

1. bewarethebeeman

bewarethebeeman New Member

This may seem a bit dense to some of the more experienced members but it is something that I have always puzzled over. When double heading, is there any comunication between the crews on the 2 locos? If not how are starts and stops synchronised, is it just down to experience and practice? Just one of those little things that I have always wondered.

2. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Braking is no issue as this is the sole responsibility of the leading driver (assuming that we are talking about fully fitted trains).
    Starting away from a platform is on signal from the guard with exchange of loco whisles & other movements are as controlled by fixed signals which would still be observed by the inside loco's crew.
    Whilst there is no verbal communication mid journey a pre journey conversation may take place or either driver can attract the attention of the other if necessary using the whistles.

3. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Certainly, when steam reigned supreme, crews would have discussions on operational issues such as who would dip their scoop first in water troughs. I've heard stories about the leading engine crew being greedy and leaving very little for the inside loco!

4. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    There is probably communication between crews (and other footplate members like inspectors & loco reps) in these days of mobile phones & walkie talkies etc.

5. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

It should be well detailed in your local railways rulebook if you are a working member.

6. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Pretty useless on locos which are working - far too much background noise to be relied upon!!

7. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    It's a very good question and others have given you the basic answers. When I am on the second engine I always keep a watch on the exhaust of the leading loco, the more so when it is a top'n'tail situation. That way I can see when the leading driver shuts off; there is no point in having steam on when the driver up front, who is effectively in charge, has decided that the speed is sufficient. Personally, I hate double heading for the sake of it. It is not often that a Heritage Railway needs two locos on a train and the excess of power just makes things pretty boring for both crews.

8. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    That's if you can ever hear it ringing, and as for vibrating alert, the phone needs to be tucked somewhere sensitive for it to be noticed.. :-k

9. Impala

Impala Member

Project Manager
    Interesting. That just shows how variable the methods of different crews around the country must have been. My recollection is that the train engine normally took water from the troughs first. That way when the pilot dipped it was easier for the fireman on the train engine behind to lift the scoop.

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Slightly off topic but...

on average how long were a set of troughs, and how much water was captured ? Was this a speed thing ?

11. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    There are also rather unpleasant stories in either the Woodhead or Severn Tunnel where urine would be thrown into the firebox of the pilot engine so the train engine crew had to suffer the disgusting ammonia gas produced.
    The train engine always carries the single line staff which is normally held up so that the driver of the pilot engine could see his collegue had caught it. The idea is that if the locomotives are split to travel over a weak bridge (which still happens occaisionally) the rear portion of the train has possession of the staff.

12. howardw-s

howardw-s New Member

The use of mobile phones on the footplate is a distraction to the crew and is banned on many preserved railways.

13. jay

jay New Member

NRM Apprentice-NELPG volunteer-NYMR Volunteer
    Also banned on the mainline I think.

14. Impala

Impala Member

Project Manager
    lol - I nearly mentioned that, but then thought better of it(!)

That was something that happened when the pilot engine crew considered that the train engine wasn't pulling its weight, and there was a suitable tunnel on an up grade. A shovelful on the fire would nearly always ensure that the regulator was opened a fair bit more on the second engine.

15. John2

John2 Member

The token/staff/pilotman travels on the leading engine these days on the mainline.

16. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I doubt that very much. If true all that would be achieved would be to ensure that the loco low on water did very little further work! Why would the other crew want that?

17. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I doubt that too. Anybody tried p*ssing on a shovel and then chucking it in the firebox? A pint of p*ss contains very little urea. In the firebox any urea coming out of solution would immediately decompose and the products would combust to form water, carbon dioxide and nitrogen oxides.

18. hassell_a

hassell_a Member

You might doubt it, but believe me it works - I have 1st hand experience of this 'delight', and it has to be smelled to be believed! =;

19. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No idea ! As I said ' i've heard stories.' Can't re-confirm it, as the Carnforth Driver who used to tell the tale is no longer with us. It referred to 'Crewe men' who he seemed to dislike with a passion!

20. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

At Foxfield over Easter we had a double-heading move, just to get an engine from A to B. Worked perfectly and as many of you have said the train was extremely overpowered.

The requirment to get Wimblebury to Colliery to fetch a coal wagon.
    The answer Pilot Florence to Dilhorne Park and then run light engine to colliery.

Cheers Rich