If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dukedog 9017

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 6026 King John, May 15, 2010.

1. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Can anyone at the Bluebell confirm how long the Dukedog is likely to stay in it's black livery? I had the idea it was just temporary and would like to catch it in action before it gets repainted. I thought it was supposed to be rostered today but it wasn't running - never mind, these things happen!

2. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Don't take this as official, but it's hard to see it getting repainted this year, bearing in mind the queue of more important projects in the wworkshop.

Tom

3. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
  4. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

I did - but maybe I read it incorrectly. However I have noticed some inconsistency between the loco roster page and the "services for the coming week" page. Which one is more likely to be accurate?

Anyway I'm not complaining - 473, 1638 and 80151 were all in action so it was a good day!

5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

The loco roster is compiled quite a long way in advance, so is only a plan - things change. Where as the Services page is written closer to the time, so is more likely to be accurate, tough even then there's no guarantee when you are dealing with 100 year old machinery!

Tom

6. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    9017 was sitting cold in front of the workshop this afternoon when I popped in to pick something up from the shop. Stepney looked pretty nice in black and Baxter was sitting at the far end of the shed preparation/disposal area minus cab roof and dome cover.

Regards,

Dan

7. 73087

73087 New Member

9017 is currently stopped with some leaking boiler tubes.

8. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    Personally, I couldn't give a damn what colour they paint it, this is one of the nicest engines I have ever had the privilege to drive, or fire. It was on a photo charter, just after it had had a V&P on the Severn Valley. It is an absolute sweetheart and possesed of an astonishing amount of thrutch. We certainly opened some war-weary photters' eyes.

9. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    I agree with your comments entirely being the first to fire a Dukedog down the Dee Valley since......well ...the days of steam was a privalage but the the loco itself really makes your day you do come off 9017 with a big grin she steams well and responds well ( like many steam locos ) but there is only one 9017, just hanging out the cab listening to the sharp exhaust and watching the rods go round , the open cab etc etc

I do hope the Bluebell turnber round back into traffic when her boiler is due