If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dundalk, Newry & Greenore Cast Iron Railway Sign - Value or Info?

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by RichardMyers, Feb 6, 2013.

1. RichardMyers

RichardMyers New Member

[h=1]Dundalk, Newry & Greenore Cast Iron Railway Sign[/h]Measure 15" x 10" roughly

Anyone have information on this sign. I purchased two signs from another collector's estate but I have never seen this one before.

$T2eC16hHJHQE9nzEzuD5BQ7WbkqBLg~~60_12.jpg

2. tor-cyan

tor-cyan Well-Known Member

Sorry its a fake probably made in India I have one on my garden shed bought it for the comedy value as the railway in the heading D,N &G has no connection with the other railway mentioned Great Southern & Western

Cheers
    Colin Green

3. RichardMyers

RichardMyers New Member

How do you know it's a fake?

I did find this on Wikipedia.

Notice is by Francis B. Ormsby, Secretary.
    History Note:
    The 26 miles (42 km) Dundalk, Newry and Greenore Railway (DNGR, DN&GR) was an Irish gauge (1,600 mm (5 ft 3 in)) railway in Ireland. It was conceived in the 1860s to provide a link between the towns in its title and the London and North Western Railway port at Greenore, from where a ferry service operated to Holyhead. It was opened between Greenore and Dundalk in 1873 and extended to Newry in 1876.
    The L&NWR owned the railway and at first provided its locomotives and rolling stock, the locomotives coming from its Crewe Works. The railway passed to the London, Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923 but an agreement was reached in 1933 for the line to be worked by the Great Northern Railway (Ireland). Because the partition of Ireland placed the Irish border across the DN&G's Greenore – Newry line, it was not absorbed into either the Great Southern Railways in 1925 or the Ulster Transport Authority in 1948.
    The line was closed on 31 December 1951 and was dissolved in 1957 by act of consent.

4. tor-cyan

tor-cyan Well-Known Member

5. RichardMyers

RichardMyers New Member

That really helped. Thank You!

6. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

definately a fake..I have a GSWR version in my garden! there are many versions available at car boot sales etc and they turn up on ebay to trap the unwary

7. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I do have a L&LSR cast sign, and can vouch for it's authenticity as I saw it being dragged out the the undergrowth next to the disused line near Letterkenny in 1955.

8. Reading General

sure , they all say that :)

9. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So do you want a signed and sworn affidavit before you believe me??

10. Reading General

waste of a smilie wasn't it!

11. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Semi-retired farmer, railway & museum owner
    Fakes have long been a curse of the cast iron sign collector! At one time it was mainly English examples, through these are less frequent now, probably due to the collecting fraternity becoming smarter and more discerning (though you still need to treat Somerset & Dorset and GWR trespass notices and Midland Railway bridge restriction notices with some suspicion.) The makers of snides seem to have concentrated on Irish examples in recent years, and seeing the photo of RichardMyers example, I am sure that it is one of them. Of course, genuine examples exist, but they are relatively rare and when they appear at auctions they command high prices. How to tell the genuine from the snide? First, look at the back. It should be unpainted, have deeply pitted rust and, usually, the ingrained marks of having been fixed to a post for several decades. Second, look at the design. Of course, you need to have seen a genuine example to be able to judge this- I have and I'm afraid yours isn't! Thirdly, if you've bought it for less than £100, be very suspicious.