If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

East Anglia Transport Museum

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by johnofwessex, Aug 28, 2021.

1. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    For the second time we are having a family holiday in East Anglia, last time it was Suffolk, this time Norfolk (Just!)

We went to the East Anglia Transport Museum today (28th August)

We joined the queue as the museum opened at 12.00, as we waited for tickets we could sea the days working exhibits on the tramway & trolleybus circuits, a Blackpool 'Standard' car was working with an ex Amsterdam tram while a Portsmouth trolleybus seemed rather lost showing Clarence Pier as its destination.

First stop however was the Cafe for chips all round, including vintage tomato shaped ketchup dispensers and proper glass vinegar shakers. Later in the day one volunteer was heard to say the he only volunteered for the chips, which gives an idea of how good they are.

After lunch we rode the Blackpool Standard, the tram line runs down one side of the museum into the woods. The trams then reverse back, however on this occasion it was easier said than done as the track was damp and resort had to be made to the sand bin.

After that we rode the Amsterdam Tram, the railway - 2ft 'contractors' with loco's from RAF Duxford and a local sand quarry and had two trips on the Trolleybus.

The Trolleybus does three circuits of the museum before the conductor has to 'change the points' on the overhead to allow it to turn into the terminus.

Although I have seen the Cardiff Trolleybus's as a small child I never rode on them. I have ridden on a trolleybus in Leningrad but it was my first Trolleybus ride in the UK - oh and the first time I have had Gooseberry Ice Cream - and both were excellent.

As well as Garages / tram sheds there are a lot of 'street scene' exhibits including recreated shop fronts - one of which had the same hair dryer my mother had when I was a child, a fascinating display with detailed history of road making and a good collection of historic road vehicles. Also the only surviving ex Southwold Railway vehicle, a box van.

I had been wondering what we might do with the rest of the day but it kept us all amused until 3, I was still amused but my wife & two sons were tiring so it was time to head for home.

Incidentally both my wife & non railway minded youngest had a good time.

So if you are Lowestoft Way, the museum is at

https://www.eatransportmuseum.co.uk/

2. RLinkinS

RLinkinS Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    They have all sorts of really interesting exhibits including this one being restored[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

3. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    What on earth is that?

4. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

It's got it's own website....... https://www.jvb908.co.uk/ .... the local connection being that it has bodywork by Mann Egerton of Norwich. Has been at Carlton Colville for at least 5 years now, though I wasn't aware of the history of its time at the Museum as detailed on that website, which desn't exactly show them in good light........

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  5. RLinkinS

RLinkinS Member

On th day we visited it was being actively worked on, the engine was started and it was driven out of the workshop, which allowed me to take the picture. So it looks like it is receiving the care it deserves.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

jnc likes this.
  6. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

An unusual design of double decker bus to fit under low railway bridges.
    After reading his webpage, hope the museum can arrange former owner/enthusiast to visit and have a memorial plaque.

ghost likes this.
  7. Johann Marsbar

Presumably the current front end rebuild is a result of the museum managing to seriously damage the thing, as mentioned on that website, rather than any "restoration" work that was required. It was all complete and looking very presentable when I saw it there in 2016.

EDIT - Have been told it was driven into a traction pole on site, which explains the front end rebuilding.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  8. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

I hope the museum does the "right thing" and complies with the donors wishes.....it is a fascinating vehicle.

ghost likes this.
  9. Johann Marsbar

Apparently the chap who donated it died a few months back.
    I've certainly had a couple of interesting e-mails about it all this am after I forwarded that website to a couple of people I know, but I can't post them on a Public Forum.....