If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Edinburgh - Ayr & return 16th May 2010

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by malc, Mar 1, 2010.

1. malc

malc Part of the furniture

The middle day of The Coronation has now changed to Edinburgh to Ayr via Shotts and return using 61994 instead of Edinburgh to Carlisle & return using 60019.

See http://www.steamdreams.com/content/view/277/52/

2. DUKE71000

DUKE71000 Member

It’s lucky I'm on The West Highland Britannia in April with 70013 which does the Shotts line, which enables me to enjoy the delights of 70013 again on this date on a jolly around Kent. I gather this trip will travel over the Glasgow avoider to get to Paisley which must be a while since steam has been over this section?

3. palace gates

palace gates Guest

This is a disapointment to me.I am reluctant to use the word big but it is a disapointment.
    My reasoning is this? The train gets advertised and has to be paid for by a certain date.Then because the loco group decide that the job is to much to handle they decline to do what I assume had already been agreed.In some respects I would agree with them but to advertise the train and then change it because of this is fundamentally wrong.
    So people have paid for something that will not happen.I personally wanted to do the East Coast again and a trip with 19 up Beattock.Now we have a trundle across to Ayr.
    If the train had been advertised as an outing to Ayr in the first instance I would not have booked for it.I have no grievance about what is now on offer but I will not be going on Sunday because it is not what was originally offered.The K4 is a good machine and on the right line (Queen St -Fort Bill) is very impressive.Also I do not do track so Shotts does not interest me.
    This practice of changeing things at the last minuate has to stop.It is not good business practice and eventually people will loose trust in the the promotors and do something else.
    Finally I notice that the Brit trip over Shap has been amended so that the engine now comes of at Preston.Again its a full train advertised to do something and because it is easier to go to Preston instead of Crewe the steam section is reduced.I repeat if the train was advertised as a Crewe-Shap-Carlisle-S and C-Preston I would have no complaint.Its the changeing of things at the last minuate to reduce running costs of the TOC that annoys me.

4. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Wait 18 years to go to Ayr,then go twice in a month!

5. palace gates

palace gates Guest

Alberta,
    As you say it was done at least 18 Years ago and I think I went twice,but its a long time ago.

6. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

Sadly I think a change was inevitable. When you look at the practicalities of running a loco three days on the trot with support crew 400 miles from home. Not short trips either, all would be long days. If even the most minor problem occurred no room to make repairs, over ambitious I'm afraid. I do have great sympathy for the passengers however.

7. Steam gets in your eyes

Steam gets in your eyes New Member

Will it be going cross-country from Paisley or round the coast?

8. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well,i was referring to my age,not sure when the last one went,rumour has it that the train will be heavy,could be very noisy :D

I'll close my eyes and pretend its a V2......

9. palace gates

palace gates Guest

Trying to be positive for a change.Can anyone please provide the date of the last trip over Shotts.I understand that it has only happened once with a D49 and J36 combination and only in the westerly direction.Presumeably a SRPS train.There has not been anything in the easterly direction as far as I am aware.Any info greatly received.

10. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    10th May 1981 I think but I'll have to check my records.

11. palace gates

palace gates Guest

Spamcan81
    Thanks for the reply.Details are on www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk.Easy when you have the date.Not an SRPS train as I thought but what looks like a Bernard Staite (SLOA) Special.Thats why I could not find it before.
    Well worth the look if you get the chance.How things have changed over the nearly 30 years that have passed.Looks like Bernard's writing on the ticket.
    Thanks again.

12. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'd gone up to Scotland to do some industrial steam and took in this tour too. Did some sound recording at Polmont and then nipped over to Shotts for a phot. No sun all day and a real pea souper at Shotts so no decent photographic record of the run. Sixbells has it as listed on one page as an SRPS tour and a SLOA one on another. I can also confirm the date as being 10th May 1981.

13. jane

jane Guest

Looking forward to the hole weekend up in scotland with this trip with the day before with the A4 from London then the A4 back to york and the duchess from york back to London rolling out the boat with this one and going dineing on the way out and back to scotland.

14. Oli15

Oli15 Member

Looks like another engine has been ruled out for this years coronation, with 61994 now being removed from its duty on the Sunday after looking at UK steam.

15. Panniertank

Panniertank New Member

According to UK steam info, 45407 has been drafted in as a replacement for 61994. An excellent choice in my opinion, following on from it's sterling performance to Stranraer on GB3.

16. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

...and possibly not over the Shotts route...

17. Panniertank

Panniertank New Member

Where has this info come from then?

18. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

Well, it's been confirmed now by Ian Riley on The Works and is going E&G.