If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Ejector for motor fitted Great Western engines -

Discussion in 'Locomotive M.I.C.' started by blandford1969, May 15, 2013.

1. blandford1969

blandford1969 New Member

Hi All,

I am hoping you might be able to help with another question around Great Western brakes. Within the types of ejector there are 2 I cannot ever recollect seeing

the first is the combined ejector as fitted on panniers/ praries etc without a setter cylinder above . I am assuming at the moment this was on older engines and had gone by the 1950s

The second is the ejector said to be fitted to motor fitted engines as shown below
    ejector for motor engines G.JPG
    Can anyone point me in the direction of any classes that were fitted with this version or of any surviving engines fitted with this ejector?

Many thanks for your help in advance

Duncan

2. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've never heard of an ejector specifically for GW motor fitted locos. As the GW push pull system was purely mechanical (not vacuum operated as on the LMS) there would be no need for anything other than the normal single cone ejector for the loco and train brakes.
    Could I ask where the scan came from? Sorry can't be more help - maybe someone from Didcot? Ray.

3. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The railmotor has an ejector of this type as the vehicle is only vacuum braked and therefore has no need for the steam brake setter. This is only really the conventional ejector part of the combined item with the handle on upside down!
    It also has a small ejector (no cross head pump) which makes it slightly easier on the crew as there is no need for the driver to communicate the need for the fireman to release a brake application when remotely driven unlike the similar arrangement with a loco (14xx etc).

Can't otherwise recall seeing the ejector only version of this valve on a loco. Suspect it was entirely replaced by the single cone ejector with seperate air disc & ejector handles whch very likely was easier to maintain.

4. blandford1969

blandford1969 New Member

The scan came from a 1940 publication on Great Western brakes. There are other things which are now long gone such as the combined ejector as fitted on panniers for example was also fitted on some vacuum braked engines, obviously without the setter cylinder. This was replaced by the ejector with separate steam and air valves (the single cone ejector as fitted on manors for example)

Thanks 1472 for helping confirm this type and also that it is fitted with a small ejector. I would agree based on what I have found out this type disappeared into history apart now from the railmotor and that the single cone would be quicker and easier to maintain.

kind regards

Duncan

5. blandford1969

blandford1969 New Member

As an update on this I have found pictures showing the mogul at Didcot fitted with the combined ejector (without automatic attachment) being a vacuum fitted engine so the type does survive.

Thanks for your help on this.