If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Embsay & Bolton Abbey Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by pete12000, Nov 21, 2012.

1. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The latest Heritage Railway has a photo of USA 65 visiting, does anyone know how long it's likely to be staying for ?

2. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    For the rest of the season, according to a post in the 6619 thread.

Richard

3. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Looking at the E&BAR calendar, the only possible opportunity to see and travel with 65 is the 30th December (excluding the Santa's) unless it's staying in to the new year?

4. Muppet

Muppet Member

It'll be here for a while...

5. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Quite a nice touch getting it in for the Santas, like a miniature 'Polar express'... hoping to get down there and have a look soon, got a peculiar exhaust i understand...

6. richards

7. kesbobby

kesbobby Member

The draughting was modified about a year ago to improve performance - sort of USA GT now.

8. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Does anyone have info' of any new year steamings at Embsay? the website shows the 30th December but nothing after that....?

Thanks !!

9. Muppet

Muppet Member

Yes - just bear with me a couple more days - insane at work. Very similar to last year in terms of operation, but there are two galas planned; May Bank Holiday Branchline weekend and October 125th anniversary of the opening.

65 running well, but has difficulty producing enough steam for 6 with steam heat on the long climb and with injectors on. Hence a blow-up required en route. Post Santa's Specials it is unlikely to go out on 6 again!

10. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Cheers Tim

Look forward to more on 2013 when you can.

11. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    Yet it still needs a blow up! I remember these taking 5 up Tenterden bank before the modification with no problem.

12. richards

I think the gradients at Embsay are longer, if not as as steep as Tenterden. It's a long climb from either end to the summit in the middle.

Richard

13. Drewry Car

Drewry Car Member

Subject to the usual disclaimers can anyone at Embsay advise what is planned to be in steam on Sunday 30th December please? If you do requests then 65 would be preferred... Money to spend on tickets and in shop waiting. Ta!

14. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Same question for New Year's day - if it's requests then any chance of Dorothy again? :lol:

15. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    I see folk are wanting to see 65. I visited the railway on Sunday to see 65. I have to say its not got a lot going for it. The smoke effects were wonderful and I got some great photos.

The timetable for the Santas allows time between trains to go and get a hot drink in the buffet and although Embsay station was closed the bookshop was open so do pay a visit.

Back to 65. Each trip required it to stop for a blow up at Stoneacre loop, so on the santa service it's possible to photograph it twice on each trip without driving like an idiot to do so. On the first trip it took getting on for 10 minutes to get pressure back, the second trip the blow up seemed very long and on the third it was well over ten minutes. The engine, in my humble opinion, looks like a badly designed steel shed built with an oversized set of wheels! The drab Southern livery doesn't help it much either. The Armstrong blastpipe with which it is fitted makes a long drawn out roar but its not loud. I don't know whether the quiet exhaust is due to the Armstrong blastpipe or the loco being held back to try and help the steaming. Now before anyone says 'oh its only a little engine' just remember Primrose No.2 could take 6 coaches without a blow up and that was on full regulator and its only a 16inch cylinder. The J15 when that was at Embsay was thought to be weak but it also took 6 without needing stops. I know people want to see something different but for goodness sake don't think the USA is better! Its bunker wont carry enough coal for the day either. Pity the best engines for Embsay namely Monckton and Wheldale still languish requiring new fireboxes. I understand that 65 is at Embsay for at least 6 months, no doubt on the usual 3 and 4 coach trains it wont need the stops for blow ups.

16. Sorge station

Sorge station New Member

Having been on it a week ago i'll say that the engine will take 6 over the length of the line without stopping for a blow-up. However it's very much at its limit steaming wise when dragging 6 and providing steam heat and rather than needing to take any risks, a stop was written into the timetable for Stoneacre loop. This stop also allows more time for presents to be given out and ensures the journey lasts an hour or so. The coal situation is a pain but theres nothing that can really be done about it.

17. brendan

brendan New Member

Performing Arts

I would be very happy for it to come back to kent, I am suffering from Yank withdrawl already!

18. Platelayer

Platelayer Member

New for 2013

Travel in Edwardian splendour for the price of an ordinary return fare at the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway.

During the months of January and February you will be able to travel in Edwardian style every Sunday at no extra cost.

The normal service train will be made up of Directors saloons representing two of the most famous ‘pre-Grouping’ railways – the Lancashire and Yorkshire and the London and North Western Railways.

Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway (LYR) No 1 was built at Newton Heath, Manchester, in 1906 for the LYR's Directors allowing them to travel all over their railway in very comfortable surroundings.

This saloon was recently used in the theatrical production of ‘The Railway Children’ at York.

London and North Western Railway (LNWR) 5318 was built in in 1913 for the LNWR Directors and served the same purpose.

This carriage has been completely restored from derelict over a period of several years. It has some Royal pedigree, having seen service as an extra vehicle on the LNWR Royal Train.

A frequent passenger on 5318 was J. Bruce Ismay, a Director of the LNWR and Chairman of the White Star Line. He travelled on the Titanic and was featured in the film.

Both vehicles have been fitted with steam heating and will be comfortable and warm in the winter weather.

Timetable Details

Trains leave Embsay Station for Bolton Abbey at 10:30, 12:00, 13:30 and 15:00.

Trains leave Bolton Abbey for Embsay at 11:10, 12:40, 14:10 and 15:40.

You can find out more about these saloons and the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway by visiting the website

www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk

Attached Files:

• LNWR.jpg
      LNWR.jpg
      File size:
      27.7 KB
      Views:
    • L&Y.jpg
      L&Y.jpg
      File size:
      82.1 KB
      Views:
  19. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Is it just Sunday running in January and February or Saturdays too ?

Thanks!

20. Platelayer

Platelayer Member

Yes, just Sundays in January and February.

Cheers