If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

EOR announces TWO mainline steam locomotives are destined for the branch....

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by SR-Simon, Jan 19, 2012.

1. SR-Simon

SR-Simon New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Exciting news just released on EOR news website, not one, but TWO mainline steam locomotives are destined for the Essex heritage railway.... :eek:)
    Epping Ongar Railway – News

There is more on this news, plus a feature on the railway looking behind the scenes at the restoration works as we head towards steam and diesel hauled passenger services, in the latest issue (159) of Heritage Railways magazine.

2. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Simon

Has the railway bought them or is the current owner basing them on the line ?

many thanks

Martin

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Reading the article it definitely says Sold in several places ?

is the 41 operational ?, the Hall is approaching the end of it's ticket isn't it ?

4. ssoap

ssoap New Member

Both have definitely been bought by the Railway. 4141 as far as I know is under overhaul at the Llangollen. I assume after the Steel Steam Stars Gala this year it will head to Essex?

5. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Must be a railway with a lot of money, can't imagine it would have cost less £500,000 to buy both of them judging by what's been on sale recently.

6. SR-Simon

SR-Simon New Member

Indeed, 4141 is currently completing its overhaul at Llangollen with a new boiler tubeplate about to be or hopefully currently being fitted prior to final reassembly. The Hall is part way through its ticket, and will complete its current obligations at GCR, prior to coming to the line for when we re-start steam hauled passenger services.

7. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Very cool, when will we see the railway opening again ?

(how long is the line ?)

I have to admit only being down the M11 from here, I must make an effort to visit sometime.

8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Indeed, im suprised a line such as the EOR could be in a position to splash the cash on two such working loco's.

Good luck to them, a big namer and a second ex br engine will definetly help in attracting people to the line, 4953 has hardley been over taxed in her preservation life thus far so be good for someone to finally put her to good use.

9. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Don't forget that Isabel from the Cambrian was also moved to EOR following sale last year. All together that's a few bobs worth of kit.

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

And the diesel shopping, 25, 31, 03, thumper, NNR Mark 1s..

the collection is growing at the edge of the M25/M11.

But buying an operational hall and 2-6-2T will get you noticed ?
    Any more shopping plans ? an operational Black5, and operational GWR 2-8-0 are supposed to be up for grabs.

11. david1984

I know quite a few enthusiasts who won't take any notice of a line that doesn't have ex BR steamers, so this will get the EOR noticed in such biased quarters*

*Before anyone says anything, i don't agree with that view, i've spent enough time at places like Chasewater & Foxfield in the past.

12. SR-Simon

SR-Simon New Member

.... our ex-Stratford, split headcode 37 (D6729) and 3CIG will be disappointed to be forgotten...

13. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Sounds like a a big leap forward for the EOR - congratulations! However, reading the website, I know the GWR have a high opinion of their steads, but was 4141 really "latterly hauling expresses between London and Cheltenham" ???

14. david1984

I think that might be stretching the truth if not exactly lying, i reckon it means the Cheltenham - Gloucester section of Padd expresses where at Gloucester a Castle would hook on.

15. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    4141 was an 85B Gloucester loco for years. In all probability, it will have spent some time at Brimscombe sub-shed, from where it would have been used to bank the expresses up Sapperton bank.

16. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I've been very interested and enthusiastic about this project from the beginning, but as great as this sounds... i cant help but worry that the EOR is losing the atmosphere of a GER branch line and becoming a glorified trainset - every siding full of random vehicles representing every era and livery, beyond the needs of the railway and the available manpower to keep it in good condition. While i could never argue against buying such fantastic loco's, it seems a shame that at the same time the F5 project is making little if any progress.

Its a lot less sexy, but what i've really been hoping for is news of undercover storage on the line - not just for the rebuilding of the shed at Ongar but somewhere to store and work on vehicles like the suburban Mk1's, and shield them not just from the weather but the copper fairies and vandalism too. Is any such news on the horizon?

Chris

17. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I thought they were building a carriage shed over the recently laid sidings at North Weald?

Keith

18. david1984

Where does this GER rolling stock and other items comes from ?, 99% of it that still exists is already spoken for, fact is some lines if they want mainline steam are going to have to have Western types and Bulleids because that is what Barry was full of.

19. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Perhaps they feel it's better to get some services up and running to generate interest and income, rather than spend the capital on infrastructure at this stage?

20. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Joe public will visit to see and ride behind steam locomotives. They will not care whether it is painted black, blue, green or red. They will also not care which part of the country the loco used to run on the big railway. Santas, halloween specials and the like should pull in many local people, never mind the normal running days. Good luck to the Epping and Ongar railway.