If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Final Flight of Gloster Meteor WM167 Tomorrow 05/01/2019

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by 5944, Jan 4, 2019.

1. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    From Facebook

So other than the two Martin Baker examples, the last flight of the first British jet. Seems the airframe and a pair of spare engines have been gifted to the Classic British Jets Collection, and the currently fitted airworthy engines will be removed and shipped to the US. The aircraft will be able to fast taxy in the future, but will never fly again.

2. zoot horn rollo

zoot horn rollo New Member

I'm a university administrator, get me out of here
    I’m quite sad about this having grown up with both the RAF and the RN operating Meteors. One wonders why the engines are being shipped to the USA. For reuse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes, seemingly in the other Meteor that got shipped across there a few months ago.

The day itself was a bit shambolic. No real organisation, no info what was happening except "it'll be here within the hour" when we'd all been stood in the cold for two hours. When it did turn up it did a couple of touch and goes on the runway for photographers in another aircraft, then landed. Shame Bruntingthorpe is little more than a giant car park, which meant the usable section of runway was a good half a mile away and not visible.

4. m wainwright

m wainwright New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The reasons and constraints we as a group had to go by on the day, we're many.

CH 19 likes this.