If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flying Scotsman to Surrey Hills 1/6/16

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Andover, May 31, 2016.

1. Andover

Andover New Member

The following list of speed restriction may be helpful to those videoing the trains tomorrow. Unfortunately I didn't see this list before last week's trains otherwise I and one other on this forum would not have been at Worplesdon! I did advise friends not to film at stations but didn't heed my own advice!

Syon Lane/ Isleworth London Rd bridge 5mph
    Isleworth 30
    Ashford 15
    Byfleet 30
    West Byfleet DS P3 5
    Woking (both down) 15
    Worplesdon 15
    Guildford P4 30
    Reigate 30
    Redhill P2 15
    Merstham P1 up main 15
    Coulsdon S " " 30
    Purley Oaks both up 15
    E Croydon P4 15
    Gipsy Hill 30
    W Norwood 15
    Tulse Hill 15
    These are just the ones I think are relevant from an enormous list of restrictions and prohibitions.
    We still don't know which bit of the A3 is such a problem passing platforms.

2. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Again, très gut gracias.

3. mrKnowwun

Retired
    Must make piloting this thing round the circuit a complete nightmare.

4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I know that this observation is a useless piece of hindsight but:
    • This locomotive has probably been given the most forensic structural and mechanical examination of any other main line locomotive
    • It has probably been in various states of disassembly for longer than any other restoration project
    • The dimensions of this locomotive are a matter of public (and archival) record
    • Everyone knows that steam locomotives may pose gauging problems on parts of the network
    • When Tornado was built, someone also thought about how well it would fit on the national network
    • Late in the day, (I believe) Network Rail took measurements of this locomotive for gauging purposes
    As it was always intended that it would return to the main line, did nobody think to carry out some work at any point over the years it has been in pieces to see whether any particular part of it might pose a clearance problem?

5. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Not sure you can compare Tornado Al, 60163 is a product of the modern world with discreet tailored mods to suit the modern NR, can we really butcher an icon like 60103 to suit apart from the obligatory 13'1 max height ?.

6. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Al - does it not occur to you that the guaging issue problems may lie elsewhere than with those apparent incompetents who restored the loco? It was restored to the Network Rail guaging profile just like Tornado and any other Network registered steam loco. I remember the cab being modified at York some while ago and I'm sure that there were other parts that were tweeked as well. There is little special about 60103 and guaging restrictions - other locos suffer similar restrictions and have done for a long while. Look at the recent restrictions placed on 45699 for example. The loco has not changed but seemingly the network has. So please lay off the unnecessary insinuations about the people at the sharp end of all this - they have enough headaches to contend with as it is.

Peter

Shoddy127 and Harry Stanger like this.
  7. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Your last sentence makes a whole lot of sense, aka wise before the event

8. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Perhaps you would like to rephrase that as it would seem that you are calling Riley and Sons incompetent.

henrywinskill likes this.
  9. henrywinskill

Ah Ralph dont think you will get away with that, brown hatters are us will strike you down lol lol lol

10. mrKnowwun

Retired
    Doesn't seem that way to me, by way of the "elsewhere than with"

11. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Not at all. It is Al's last sentence that implies that no one thought to check the guaging during the overhaul - Does that not imply apparent incompetence? And already people are agreeing with him (Post 7). Why would anyone not overhaul their engine to agreed network specifications? I find it unbelievable that the question could even be asked let alone by a supposedly knowledgeable member of the Moderation Team. There are major and seemingly increasing problems with guaging management control across the network but do not go blaming the restoration engineers for that - they are not moving the goal posts, others are.

Peter

MellishR and Harry Stanger like this.
  12. mrKnowwun

Retired
    It very simple. There is a gauge. Either the loco is too big, or the gauge is not maintained. As this loco was built to run within the gauge, and indeed used to do so quite happily on this very route, but no longer does so, then its easy to see where the fault is.

13. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

All I can say is that now Flying Scotsman has been places that other locomotives have also been, it is clear that it presents a real gauging problem. For example, to have it prohibited through a platform where other locomotives have passed before must mean that in at least one key measurement it is wider or too close. The last thing I would want anyone to think or even infer is that I am suggesting anyone associated with the restoration has somehow got it wrong. I just listed a set of statements that I hope nobody disagrees with and then asked a question based on what we have observed so far. Take a specific example - Woking - that it goes through on the upcoming Surrey Hills. It seems there is a 15 mph restriction when as far as the fast is concerned, every other locomotive has previously been able to go through at up to line speed. We are not talking about a minor problem here as even if the locomotive can pass a location at greatly reduced speed, what on earth does that do to the possibility of finding a path for it on a busy network?.

The people 'at the sharp end' of this should actually be Network Rail. Maybe they knew there would be a problem but chose to say little. Either way it is not a good situation for the NRM and its iconic locomotive and I hope that questions are being asked in high places. But, I repeat. Don't read my first post as a criticism of those who restored the locomotive. Perhaps I am the only person to be amazed there is such a difficulty with it. If so I apologise for my ignorance.

green five likes this.
  14. henrywinskill

What is the difference between gauging and guaging is one out of gage

15. colin33

colin33 New Member

16. colin33

colin33 New Member

Are we sure Scotsman is out of gauge, or are the speed restrictions due to anticipated crowded platforms ?

17. henrywinskill

I think you have hit the nail on the head there

18. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Surely if the issues were that bad then it would be banned from the route altogether, as many locomotives are from many routes. It may well be the case that other locomotives would be "banned" from some of the routes Scotsman is allowed onto, but dispensation has been given simply because it is Scotsman and banning it would be awful PR for everyone involved. As such, a compromise has been reached of severe restrictions at the dodgy bits to make sure it doesn't knock lumps out of the infrastructure and vice versa.

Scotsman is a lot bigger (read "fatter") than most of the engines which regularly take to the tracks in the South (Tornado, Mayflower, Cromwell / Britannia or one of the Bulleids) which may explain why it is subject to more draconian restrictions than others. Take a look back at the videos of 60103 from Worplesdon with the restriction posted previously and compare the profile with the many similar videos at the same location of Clan Line or Tornado, those are both noticeably narrower in profile and as such sail through without causing the man and his laser to break sweat.

19. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I doubt it , I had assumed the routing via the West London Line and Willesden Junction outward bound and West Norwood and Tulse Hill on the way back rather than the normal Belmond route via Streatham.

20. Southofthethames

Southofthethames New Member

It used to fit through Putney & Barnes in 2003.
    Barnes, 23rd December 2003 (35mm film)
    4472 slipping.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    green five and Harry Stanger like this.