If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flying Scotsman

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, Aug 24, 2010.

1. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I read elsewhere that the two people who were injured were Belmond staff. Like you say, if they'd been kitchen staff it could've been very nasty, especially the way everything has collapsed. Normal Mk1 kitchens are pretty solid internally, not made up of lightweight units that fall over with a rough shunt.

35B and acorb like this.
  2. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I saw the Royal Scotsman coaches when they were originally being rebuilt at Dairycoates and would not have set foot in them if I'd been paid! The interiors were put together by a firm of shopfitters and were flimsy in the extreme. I believe they subsequently underwent some rectification, but the damage to the Gresley kitchen car ((which I think this observation car may have replaced) after it was damaged in an incident at Millerhill showed that some of the fundamental issues had not been addressed by that time - and from what I can tell they don't seem to have been in the balcony car.

MuzTrem likes this.
  3. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Digressing slightly, the one time I've been in an incident where rail staff were injured was an overspeed. It was a Hertfordshire Railtours 125 Special, booked via Corby, and the driver took the pointwork at Kettering really rather fast.

The ambulance was waiting at Melton Mowbray for the chef, who got a grill of hot mushrooms all over him.

The risks aren't always the obvious ones.

johnofwessex likes this.
  4. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    What I think we can agree on is that the outcome of the collision clearly shows that on train kitchen/catering stores need to be checked for there 'crashworthiness' for want of a better term.

5944 likes this.
  5. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Mot sure I agree with that. There have been, what, two crockery smashing occurences in how many years? How much of a compromise to operational (of the kitchen) efficiency would there be if all the storage had to be capable of surviving such an event? I reckon such storage would be a bitch to work with, and, counter intuitivel, probably make for a lot more dropped items in one and twos over the years just because of all the extra awkwardness.

6. 5944

It works on kitchen cars that cater for dozens of covers, so surely it's not impossible to design something that's sturdy enough for the needs of 28 passengers?

I can fully understand something happening like @35B mentioned, or a few bottles of wine falling over. But the whole kitchen to collapse like a pack of cards is worrying. Crockery, pots and pans etc. are going to move about. When the storage units themselves are in a heap, that's a worry.

Tobbes, Paul42 and acorb like this.
  7. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

If anyone has watched the TV series following Saphos on their trips, the kitchen car on there looks fabulous and very good to work in, whilst also looking far more study than the photos from Royal Scotsman would suggest.
    Heavy shunts, wobbly track and sharp braking are not uncommon occurrences, if not quite as extreme as the Strathspey incident. It would be reasonable to mitigate for such occurrences I would suggest, if only to protect your crockery as well as your staff!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
  8. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    I wonder what the LMS did in July 1937 after 6220 Coronation and its special train went through the reverse curves south of Crewe station at over 50 mph. The speed restriction was 20 mph. Apparently, hardly any crockery was left in one piece.

9. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I gather the rail chairs were pretty much like that, as well.

10. BrillTramway

BrillTramway New Member

Assume everything is ok as ticket arrived by email for Tuesdays trip to Aberdeen with Flying Scotsman. Be interesting to see how it performs.

11. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
  12. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

13. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

What struck me in the video is that whilst there is clearly some alarm at the speed the loco is approaching and that it appears not to braking the person filming simply stood there are carried on filming rather than try and take any evasive action. It is not the only occasion I have come across where it appears that somebody filming on a phone is of the opinion that it is more important to carry on filming than try and get themselves out of harms way. Either that or as they are watching through a screen they forget what is unfolding is real and they are part of it so act as if they are simply watching something being played on the screen.

14. martin1656

I saw that video, and the engine appears to be approaching to fast, If the buffer extensions were out of the coach, so that would indicate the buckeye wasn't being used so i can't think of any reason for that speed, unless the driver misjudged the position of the coaches, thinking they were further along the platform, but i'm sure , that the report into the incident will hopefully give a clear explanation as to what happened both on the footplate, and at platform level.

15. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Not sure why you'd be approaching any faster to couple up a buckeye, if you need to approach it with that much momentum I think your buckeye needs a service!

Steve and Jamessquared like this.
  16. 5944

You'll also struggle at any speed to couple to a vehicle that doesn't have a buckeye...

[​IMG]

17. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Cripes, that collision did a lot of damage to the Mark 1 - it's swiped away most of the end structure ...

Tom

Bluenosejohn, BR 73082, Johnb and 7 others like this.
  18. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I think the lack of end structure is down to corrosion. Mark 1’s are notorious for it. Simply fell off in the impact. Never realised the body framework was like that, though. :)

19. 5944

The one at the GCR was even worse, especially after it crashed into the local branch of B&Q.

[​IMG]

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  20. martin1656

How much strength on a MK1 is derived from the end pillars? would the removal in such a conversion leave a weak point in the crash worthiness of the vehicle? I mentioned buckeye, because i thought the vehicle would have been so fitted, In answer to Alex's post, i can remember a situation on NR, at Woking, back when we had slam door stock, in NSE days, and the driver was attaching another unit to the rear, and the buckeye wouldn't lock, in the end the shunter had to push the unit in front to get it to lock, it shunted it forward by a few feet,