If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Foxfield Railway 2012 Steam Galas

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by R Barnett, Nov 1, 2011.

?

What would you like to see...?

Poll closed Dec 1, 2011.
  1. More than one visitor

50.0%
  2. A small BR tank engine

41.7%
  3. Passenger trains into Foxfield Colliery

36.1%
  4. Ride on freight trains

27.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

Before we get carried away with the planning of our 2012 galas we at Foxfield would like to know what you would like see at the events.

I have listed a few options in the poll, but feel free to post anything. We would really like to know what YOU would like to see happening!

Happy Posting...

Richard

2. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think Foxfield gets there Gala's right and I'm never disappointed. I loved the reduced time between freights on the bank at the October Gala...if I had one request though, could more freights be fitted into the timetable?

Thanks,
    Lewis

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    The appearance of a small BR tank engine would take away the "industrial only" ethos that has endeared the Foxfield to countless enthusiasts over the years. On the other hand if it was along the lines of the NCB - ex-GWR/BR - 0-6-0PT then that would certainly fit the bill IMHO.
    Not so sure about riding on freight trains as many people attend the gala, and pay for the privilege, to phot/film the freights and having people hanging out of brake vans would spoil it for me and many others. If they could be slotted in, simple brake van rides would be a better option.
    Passenger trains to the colliery? Not on a gala please. There will be plenty of opportunities for that on other occasions so please keep the colliery freight only for the gala.

4. jamesd

jamesd Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Personally I'm not interested in seeing a BR loco, the variety of industrial locos is the main draw for me. However, I go to galas to ride on the trains so I'd love the chance to ride up Foxfield bank, either on a passenger or freight train. To do this at a gala would give me the chance to ride behind a whole host of engines, something not possible on a normal running day. I also like photographing the trains but I'm not bothered whether they are passenger or freight, the draw is industrial engines working hard. Something they can do with three mk1's or six 16t mineral wagons. In fact to see both would be a bit of variety.

5. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

2 words: Castle Donington. ... Solo on the passenger rake load 3, as per No.19, would surely be on to a winner :lol:

No need for a BR loco though surely - it's not a Tanfield gala! ... Running for cover!

6. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Simple answer - the Dubs on a passenger train of some sort.

7. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    BR tank engines? No definately not, it's a colliery railway and the whole nature of it does not suit BR locos we can see them at most other railways anyway.

Ride on freight trains? No definately not, lots of people in high vis vests leaning out of the verandas of brake vans would destroy the whole image.

More than one visitor? Yes please it's the visiting engines that attract me the most seeing them and comparing performances is great and there are lots to be had.

Passenger trains on the bank? No I'd rather it was kept as freights as there are plenty of passenger trains on the rest of the line.

More trade stands would be good.

8. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Trains back to the exchange sidings at Blythe Bridge .

In july it's not the end of the world if people travel on the bank if the October event is more focused on freights on the bank and the photographer when hopefully the weather is far more supportive to good photographs

Theme to the gala ? not sure if possible without a lot of expense , but the recent P&B gala showed the appeal of steam in south wales theme . What could be done at Foxfield

9. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Only 'non-industrial' BR engine I would like to see at Foxfield is a 4F. They were the regular engines into the exchange sidings so have good justification and they are the perfect North Staffs engine.

Only the two guests appeals from the above list. Can we have a box that is for leaving things as they are?

10. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

I agree with the views of "Respite" and "Sidmouth"

Regards,

Paul

11. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Agree with both your points, I can remember trains going to Blythe Bridge but it must be a good while ago now. To further Hunslets Finest point re: 4F, maybe look into one of 44422 or 43924 as part of re-opening this section?

As for the bank, to meet people halfway allow them to ride in the Brake Van of the freights for a supplementary fare? Keeps the Colliery freight only for those who want photos but provides something different for those wanting to ride the trains.

12. 12" Coch RSH

12" Coch RSH New Member

how many times she worked in industry had a genuine link lol.
    Castle Donington would be nice!!!
    its tricky to try somthing differnet, recreatring colliery sences would be nice, or some traction engines of some sort down there possibley with Classic Lorrys of some sort.

13. Hunslets Finest

To carry passengers on the bank on freights would mean fitted trains, which means no coal wagons. As a regular I want to see coal trains on a coliery railway and must admit I didn't bother with the October gala when I saw the train formations. As far as photography is concerned the colliery isn't much good for the majority of a fine summer day (we might have one at a Foxfield gala one day!) so please avoid passengers on brake vans on the bank. I fully support the idea of old vehicles etc at the colliery and early morning charters with the guest engines. Cheers,

1 person likes this.
  14. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

15. jamesd

jamesd Member

It seems from reading this thread that passenger trains won't be particularly welcome on Foxfield bank. I don't really understand this view as we've had years of freight only trains so wouldn't it be nice to see something different, I'm sure it would mean more visitors which is surely better for the railway? The passenger trains could be interspersed with the freights meaning people would get the best of both Worlds, there wouldn't even need to be any reduction in services as the passnger trains could be fitted in the gaps up and down the bank asd there is always quite a wait between freights reaching the top and than returning back up the bank.

Perhaps the answer is two separate galas giving people the choice?

16. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

july and october , which was my point . Yes it's great sat in a field in July in the warm sun , with harsh light and no clag ... I'd love coal trains in October and the mixed trains with punters in the brake vans in July

estwdjhn likes this.
  17. jamesd

jamesd Member

.............and passenger trains! Standing in a field all day is ok but I've done it for the last 8-9 years so it would be nice to do something different.

18. INSPIRATION

INSPIRATION New Member

Probably the latter 3 options could be included at one gala and the first at another to keep people happy.

Passenger trains to the colliery aren't yet an option so are not applicable or currently worthy of option. However, when the bank does eventually open for this, one could assume it will be the normal service on an ordinary operating day, and therfore should ideally be suspended for one of the gala's as to not make it the norm.
    This particular gala should be what people on here have suggested; that is that it stays as a demonstration of a working colliery railway or as near as practical to for the benefit of the captive audience that it has always been for. It shouldnt be compromised for the sake of it, the less authentic "railway theme park" ideas should be excluded because they display the wrong image of what the purpose of preserving Foxfield is/was, or is planned to be or whatever the aims are.

As for the other gala(s), I suppose it could be anything but the above. A BR locomotive? how about a nice warm dmu..!
    The question is though, assuming one of the gala's stays on the ideal path:
    Which time of year this real example of Foxfield should be implemented, which month shows Foxfield authentically at its best.?

19. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

One possibility (as discussed in the pub earlier!) would be to run freight only on the bank during the day, but then run a Saturday evening RAT/beerex from Caverswall Road through to the colliery and return using the visiting locomotive?

20. Hunslets Finest

The big missed opportunity for me of recent years has been the October gala. As per Sidmouth's comments I was hoping for coal trains in cracking autumn light and all line freights. If there needs to be a change (and I am not sure there does) perhaps make the July event a more general theme with all the add on 'attractions' and October a dedicated colliery railway weekend? My only concern is after a couple of damp October weekends and the event will become history and we will be left with no colliery railway event in North Staffs.