If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Foxfield Railway Autumn Steam Gala 23rd & 24th October

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by R Barnett, Jul 22, 2010.

1. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

Hot on the heels of the Summer Gala, we have our Autumn gala to get going.

So as this is a new event it must have NEW attractions and as the summer gala has winning formula we feel the need to offer something different at the Autumn event.

So this is your chance to get involved and help us to plan and run a gala.

Everyone who contributes will be entered into a PRIZE draw in mid October with the winner receiving a weekend gala pass!

So to start it of, we plan to operate up to 5/6 steam engines, offer full line freights throughout, offer brake van rides, driver for a fiver, evening photo shoots, shunting demos at all parts of the line including Dilhorne Park. Banking and double heading of different combinations over the weekend.

So that's to start it, let's here your thoughts...

By the way no visiting engine THIS year (unless it free and the low loader is sponsored...)

Rich

Co-event organiser

2. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Does full line include Blythe Bridge Sidings ?

3. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

Unfortunately not Martin as these need to be re-laid before we go back down there with an engine (the next project)

So full line means the open operational line, we had hoped to have passengers down the bank for this event but we have postponed this until Easter/May to have a good all year stab at it. So there WILL be another big event to keep your eyes peeled for. More details will be posted later in the year for this one...

Rich

4. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Rich,

I am looking forward to it. With some nice autumn tints and colder weather this event has the potential for some excellent photographs. To maximise the photographic potential how about the following suggestions:

A dirty engine gala - Florence looked superb last weekend. Some of the pictures I got of it were timeless.

Banked freights with no brake van - I would like Wimblebury six or 12 minerals and Whiston on the back or VV. This is a typical scene from the colliery days and would be nice to see it recreated. Florence and Wimbers would also be a nice combo of Staffs NCB engines.

Mix up the wagon sets a bit for some variety eg 4 hoppers and two grey minerals.

Any chance of getting the CEGB and Snibston wagons out?

How about some old road vehicles at the colliery (a certain roller perhaps?) that could be included in the photos.

Certainly full line freights would be great.

I walked the line down to the exchange sidings on Friday night and it certianly as an industrial feel to it and ideal for a charter. Unfortunately there aren't many sound sleepers left.....

All the best,

David

5. Sidmouth

Leaving an engine to get naturally dirty would be excellent and some vintage vehicles absolutely . I'd be keen to tailor the rakes to some single engine haulage especially if you are shunting .

Dates are in my diary and my son(s) may get his(their) Foxfield induction

6. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

A few thoughts...

If the driver for a fiver turns were to operate from the colliery platform to the limit of shunt (ie between freights), this would give participants a chance to at least open the regulator slightly, as well as allowing photographers more 'shunting' photos :)

Dirty locos get my vote too, and theoretically should help in getting support for another morning charter!

Passenger rake load 4 maybe? Believe it's been done in the past, and would certainly help to achieve a bit of extra noise on the passenger trains :lol:. Load 3 looked well enough loaded at the recent gala to justify it!

To repeat an idea I mentioned in passing for the July gala, how about a Friday (or Saturday) evening charter, involving a couple of locos at the colliery and on the bank, along with a BBQ etc?

Evening entertainment with Doctor Busker? :lol:

7. Hunslets Finest

All good ideas George but a BBQ in late October???? Think I will be in the pub around the fire and then looking for a compo!

8. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Driver for a fiver cant be done at Foxfield - yet - as the line is not cleared for passenger use.

Martin - you should pop over and see what can be done - we have some new bits !. As for shunting - Dubsey will be running and lifting so I am sure we can create something special.

Looks like we have had our rest then !.

9. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Please include Bellerophon on a goods.

10. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

Yes Dave, Mr Marketing never sleeps... Rest over and back to the grindstone, you have a crane tank to finish :)...

Like the thoughts, all being noted. All your names are in the hat and hopefully a lot more to come...

Rich

11. Sidmouth

Dubsy & Roker together , any chance of some oily rags in the smokebox of Roker ? . I'm guessing lifting demonstrations at Caverswall Road

12. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Good point, well made. Maybe best left til next Summer? :D

13. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Oily rags are easy !.

Dubsey will want to stretch her legs soon - dont forget she is a 14", ( Hawarden is 15" ) not only that but I think that she has the capacity to scamper around at a rate of knotts. Perhaps not on the scale of some of my better runs but there is no need for her to be shy. The restoration team will have got to know her as a working engine by then.

Lifting demos are a must -some issues but all can be overcome with care.

We should thin about the Florance wagon - I have a photo from the 30's of her next to a similar wagon. To mix things up we can think about the vans and tank wagons. Bellerophon on vans ?.

14. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

Twin-Tub might be okay for a few posed shots?

15. INSPIRATION

INSPIRATION New Member

Obviously as the last Gala included the Dubs moving under its own steam for the first time; the next Gala must include the finished piece doing some demo lifts Mr Glenalmond!

How about some demo Gravity Shunting at the colliery once a day at a specific time eh Richard..?

Driver for a fiver sounds a good one, although the colliery isnt cleared for passenger use I dont think this suggestion should be operated on that section anyway.
    The yard/cutting at caverswall road seems adequate for "turn-up" driving experiences out of the bay platform so not to interfere with other movements.

Brakevan rides could be operated as part of the line freights for a supplementory fare, just like Llangollen did at SSS2 last year. (Although their's were fitted and doing 25mph..)

Friday Evening photoshoot around Caverswall Road, outside running shed/museum building etc. including the "one legged shunter" Bar.

Or a RAT on the Saturday evening, (a one off) or other evening entertainment/music...

There could be some sort of catering Van selling hot food at the colliery, that seemed to be missing last weekend. or Light refreshments/beer for sale from the Mk1 brake coach disabled area.

Although its a Steam Gala, there were a couple of visitors I spoke to last weekend asking if the Autumn Gala would include any industrial diesels? Maybe next year one of the galas could be mixed traction.

Vintage vehicles a good idea but I think this should be part of another event entirely , maybe next year that might include motor cycles, classic cars, Commercial vehicles, tractors, Stationary engines, stalls etc.

16. INSPIRATION

INSPIRATION New Member

the CEGB coal tippler I thinks FTR, and the Snibstone Loco coal wagon Im sure could be made to run if need be. the Iron Arse/Twin Tub might not be, not to sure though.

17. INSPIRATION

INSPIRATION New Member

Like button, good Idea, I forgot that we had the Florence wagon and the tanks. Maybe we could have a mixed freight.

18. jamesd

jamesd Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    How about prototypical freights up the bank, 6-8 wagons being propelled to the sidings at the top, I'd imagine there's a reason why it can't be done but it would be something different. I like the idea of longer passenger trains too and brakevan rides. What about a loaded freight train?!
    A few diesels shunting around the colliery would look good alongside the steam locos too and would be pretty prototypical.

19. Hunslets Finest

Just a note on the vintage vehicles. Not thinking a rally but just a select few that could be posed in photographs. How about an old lorry (ideally BRS) being loaded with steel by a certain crane tank, an old car/van down the slope by the weighbridge hut etc etc. They could also be used in any night shoot.

Just look how many times the roller at the Middleton gala has appeared in the press with the MW.

Glad to hear the other minerals are a possibility. Not sure about mixed freights though - not very industrial unless Wissington or an MSC tank makes an appearance. Diesels..... some other great ideas though - could really be something different and I have just secured my pass!

20. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Might well be able to persuade a certain 6ton Aveling Barford owner to leave his roller in the area for a bit longer after the Traction Engine weekend at the end of September, and maybe even a Sentinel steam lorry... What about the guy who owns the Scammell mechanical horse that's appeared at Traction Engine and other events before now, who has a contact for that?
    I would rather suspect that BV rides are a non-starter due to the lack of a suitably fitted vehicle, and Driver for a Fiver would probably have to be done somewhere it could be completely separate from the passenger service so out of the bay and down the cutting at Caverswall Road may well be out too. Then again, don't rule Foxfield out completely for this yet if dispensation can be obtained.