If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Gauge O Guild name

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by richard_3672, Mar 3, 2009.

1. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student
    What was/is the reasoning for naming 48151 this?

2. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    I may be horribly confused here but I think it was named in 1996, that year being the 40th anniversary of said organisation. As part of the celebration the loco worked a special to York and was turned, in steam, on the NRM turntable.

3. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I might be wrong, but wasnt it named a few years ago, at the same time the purple Fragonset 31 was given the same name? Given what John said, perhaps it was renamed for the 50th anniversary.

Chris

4. Penricecastle

Penricecastle Member

This is not intended to be a thread derail, but I always thought that an ex-Barry loco would have been better named "Dai Woodham". It should have been done in the man's lifetime. Without him, where would steam preservation be today? Also, how many preseved lines would there be today if the Barry miracle hadn't happened?

5. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

No it definitely held the Gauge O Guild name in the late 90s - I recall seeing it appear around then when on some S&C railtours, so I think John's on the money with the 1996 date.

6. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I guess that confirms it then, but im pretty sure it was re-named back in 2006, at the same time as 31601 gained its "Gauge O Guild 1955-2006" plates. Presumably they were taken off the 8F somewhen in the late 90's/early 00's; anyone know when?

Chris

7. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  8. David

David Member

water meter reader
    I remember seeing the 8F at York station in Sept.07 for the first time and have to admit was quite shocked to see the nameplates. For me not only the 8F shouldn't even have a name on it ](*,) but the plates were quite ugly looking as well as the awful name itself. However whoever owns the loco and pays the bills ultimately it's his decision to put a name on the loco and it has to be accepted whether some us like it or not unfortunately.