If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GCR Winter Gala 28th - 30th January 2011 - The Banbury Cross

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by lewis.maddox, Nov 12, 2010.

1. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Taken from the GCR's website;

'THREE DAYS: 28th, 29th, 30th JANUARY 2011

Autocoach working for the first time at the GCR

Four visiting engines and an autocoach make the GCR’s Winter Gala one of the first must see steam spectacles of 2011. The theme of the gala is Banbury in the late 50s, allowing an exciting variety of motive power to take part.

First of the three visiting locomotives are GWR 2-8-0 No. 3850, travelling to Leicestershire from the West Somerset Railway (it’s first trip away from its normal operating base). While the GCR has often hosted 2-8-0s from other big 4 companies, this will be the first time its double track metals have been graced by a Western example. The locomotive is expected to be painted into BR black livery in time for this event, the first time it has worn this colour scheme and will be a natural pairing with the GCR’s famous 16T mineral wagon train.

The second visitor is GWR 2-6-2 Prairie tank No. 5526 from the South Devon Railway. The locomotive will visit with an autocoach.

LMS Jubilee Class No. 5690 Leander is also returning to the GCR for a Winter visit, having been very popular at 2010s Winter Steam Gala. Finally, K4 No. 61994 The Great Marquess will make its final appearance at the GCR at the gala, following a successful extended visit which began in October 2010.

Four locomotives from the GCR’s home fleet will join the line up, including GWR Hall No. 4593 “Pitchford Hall”, with up to eight locomotives expected to be in steam in total during the three day event.

Bill Ford, President of the Great Central Railway said, “Our gala team have pulled out the stops again, producing yet more firsts for what is sure to be an incredible event. From a marvellous selection of locomotives, to the chance to sample an auto train on our double track, it’s hard to pick a highlight. As a key junction where region’s overlapped, the Banbury theme gives us licence to showcase all sorts of classes. The GCR was of course connected to Banbury, allowing it to be used as a through route for cross country excursion traffic, so it feels like a natural fit for one of our galas.”

The Friday of the event is expected to see three locomotives in traffic with the full fleet deployed over the Saturday and Sunday. Details including fares and timetables will be available on the GCR website closer to the event. A gala programme will be available.'

All sounds VERY exciting!

Lewis

2. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Re: GCR Winter Gala 2011 - The Banbury Cross

Looking good, just joined the friends and hope to get my lineside stuff sorted out soon.

3. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Wasn't 5224 based there from the mid 80s (possibly earlier) until a few years ago? I seem to remember 4247 visiting too...

4. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

At the risk of seeming pedantic, aren't they 2-8-0Ts rather than 2-8-0s?

It's interesting to see that Pitchford Hall is now a home-based engine there, according to the same press release.

5. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Deleted

6. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

I like the idea of a Banbury themed gala although the K4 is pushing the connection a little far (yes K3's and V2's worked through)

Perhaps though and even better and in keeping with the GCR but why not a Woodford Gala ??

38XX's 8F, ROD (still in traffic ??) Hall , 78019, Jubilee would all be beautifully appropriate

Now I wonder what will work the York - Bournemouth ??? with the Southern Region Stock (Did they carry reporting numbers . With Woodford you could have 8F hauled Windcutters . Change engines at Swithland maybe ??

7. Tomnick

Tomnick New Member

Wishful thinking (and an interesting idea!), but not quite possible just yet I'm afraid!

8. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Will 777 be available for the gala? King Arthurs were regular performers on the Bournemouth/Poole inter-regionals and AFAIK often worked to/from Banbury.

I wonder if 70013 will be back from Crewe and reassembled in time for this gala? It's reported elsewhere that the boiler work should be finished by the end of November, so I guess there's a reasonable chance.

9. 63601

63601 Member

Pitchford Hall is now based at the Great Central Railway until the end of it's boiler ticket. The locomotive is no longer going on the mainline for the forseeable future, although it may do in the future, and she is now getting regular steamings here, which we as a group are very happy about.

All i can say is I'm looking forward to the gala, especially 3850 on the windcutters and Pitchford on the TPO (I hope)

10. INSPIRATION

INSPIRATION New Member

I was expecting 8F 8624 to be arriving in time for this gala but it must be at a later date. Eventually when it arrives its due to stay for a year so another engine to add to the pool.

does anyone know if the GCRN are having City of Truro for December?

11. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Looks like an interesting event. Didn't go to the GCR this year. So will now put this on the calendar.

If 3850, 5526, 5690 and 61994 are visitors. I would imagine that the home fleet would consist of Pitchford Hall, the Jinty, 78019 and the 8F maybe??

12. 63601

63601 Member

Possibly 78019 if repairs to lap joints in the firebox are complete in time, 48305 out of service may make an appearance more than likely 30777 may make an appearance.

13. sche

sche New Member

Take your pick! 70013, 30777 and 45305 should all be back, and i hear rumours of a 14xx. Spoilt for choice!

14. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Haven't seen a 14xx since Steel, Steam & Stars 1 at Llangollen back in 2007. Would be nice to see one again.

15. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist

Would be a good crack to see the 14xx on the TPO, especially with their legendary turn of speed!

16. 63601

63601 Member

The home fleet that will star in this gala will be 4953 Pitchford Hall, 30777 Sir Lamiel, 45305 Alderman A E Draper, and 70013 Oliver Cromwell (subject to completion) I would like to add that Pitchford Hall will be permanently based at the GCR.

17. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
  18. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician

8624 is leaving CVR towards the end of Feb from what I've heard so will miss this event.

19. Woolley

Woolley Member

Didn't 78019 av it's lap joints repaired a few years back?

20. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist

Some pretty substantial work to boiler and/or firebox at Crewe immediately prior to Steel Steam & Stars 1 in April 2007. Don't know what work that was done specifically though.