If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GCR WINTER GALA - FRIDAY 27 JANUARY 2012 TO SUNDAY 29 JANUARY 2012

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by lewis.maddox, Nov 24, 2011.

1. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Taken from the GCR's website:

"WINTER GALA - FRIDAY 27 JANUARY 2012 TO SUNDAY 29 JANUARY 2012

This year's January gala is set to be the biggest in the history of GCR!

Expect to see 10 locomotives in action - don't miss a cracking start to 2012!

Non-stop passenger trains, the new turntable in action, regular freight trains, intensive timetables and non-stop mail drops - a thrilling gala, not to be missed.

We are also celebrating the 100th birthday of the 04, 63601 - come and see the old girl in action before her boiler ticket expires in the summer!

More details to follow....."

Sounds exciting!

Thanks,
    Lewis

2. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

Don't let the people on the SSS3 forum know you're having 10 engines. They'll start complaining that that's too many and suggest you run just 1 so you can make more money.

3. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Depends what the 10 are of course, can;t really make a sensible post on this thread until we have some details to go on...

Will the O4 still be 63601 at the time or will it revert to Great Central livery before then ?.

4. Raimondo

Raimondo New Member

I'm pretty sure the intention is for the O4 to be in original Great Central livery for the Winter Gala.

Just a thought about the 10 locomotives advertised - providing all the 'home-based' fleet are up-and-running then that would comprise:

- 70013 Oliver Cromwell
    - 30777 Sir Lamiel
    - 4953 Pitchford Hall
    - 63601 O4
    - 1744 N2
    - 78019 Standard 2
    - 47406 Jinty
    - 8624 8F (in red)

There's a chance that the Ivatt 46521 will be ready (now in the final stages of it's restoration) which would make nine locos all together, plus one visitor to make up the ten.

However, I suspect it would be a 'big ask' to get all that lot out together, so I suspect there will be more than one visitor.

5. Funnell

Funnell New Member

Pullman Steward
    Shoot me down in flames if i'm wrong but im sure i've read somewhere 70013 would not be returning to GCR this winter. Can anyone confirm whether this is the case?

6. Raimondo

Raimondo New Member

I think this has been answered in a thread further down the 'Galas and Events' section, in that the GCR website is now showing the trains over the Xmas / New Year period being hauled by N2 1744 and 70013 - hence 'Christmas at The Cross'..

Special Events | Great Central Railway

So although it was reported elsewhere that 70013 would not be returning to Loughborough this winter, a lack of main line bookings suggest that it will now.

7. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Good to see the return of the "Twilight Show" after it was absent from the autumn gala even if it will be colder in January than in October!

8. wardy

wardy New Member

Retired
    Did I see on the GCR web page the other day that 30053 was visiting for the winter gala, or was I dreaming. as when I looked the day after it wasn't showing 30053 but special guest engine to be announced......
    Wardy

9. oddsocks

oddsocks Well-Known Member

Retired / Dodging a Coffin for as long as I can.
    Half a mile east of Snells Nook Halt. (1883-1931)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You probably read it in "Steam Beano", page 28 of the current issue.

10. wardy

wardy New Member

Retired
    I knew that I saw it somewhere, thanks for that.

11. D229

D229 New Member

This looks like a good gala indeed. Will the usual policy of a complimentary gala booklet with all loco diagrams with each ticket purchased apply or will we given any information on what is running on what day ? As I will only be able to attend one day, I want to make sure it is the right one !!!!!

12. D229

D229 New Member

Looks like a good gala. Any chance of any advance info on what will be running on what day ? I can only attend one day and I want to be sure it's the right one !!!

13. oddsocks

14. Raimondo

Raimondo New Member

Just for information - this from the GCR website updated today. It's a Press Release, so not necessarily aimed at the enthusiast fraternity:

"Plans have been announced for the Great Central Railway's Winter Steam Gala. The award winning Leicestershire line is all set to stage one of its biggest events ever, with up to ten locomotives in action. It will be a winter steam festival full of action to delight enthusiasts and families.

Among the vintage machines appearing - the GCR O4 which will have celebrated it's 100 birthday just days before, the debut of a freshly restored Ivatt Class 2 (once famous for its regular television appearances) and the triumphant return of BR Standard 7 Oliver Cromwell to the line!

The expected locomotive line up includes...

•The return of BR Standard 7, Britannia, No. 70013 "Oliver Cromwell" to the Great Central after thrilling performances on the main line network.
    •GCR O4 No. 63601 marking its 100th birthday. (The gala will be one of the few remaining chances to see it in steam before it is withdrawn for boiler overhaul work).
    •The Leicestershire debut of Ivatt Class 2 No. 46521, returning to steam after many years undergoing overhaul. This locomotive is perhaps better known as 'Blossom' from the popular BBCTV series ‘Oh Doctor Beeching’.
    •Special guest appearance of exLSWR M7 No. 30053 from the Swanage Railway - the first ever visit from this type of engine to the GCR.

Also expected to run are SR King Arthur Class No. 30777 "Sir Lamiel", LMS 8F No. 8624, GWR Hall No. 4953 "Pitchford Hall", BR Standard 2 No. 78019, GNR N2 No. 1744 and LMS 3F No. 47406

In addition two locomotives will be on static display at Quorn station and open for cab tours.

On each day there will be a busy schedule of passenger trains hauled by various locomotives, supplemented at weekends with an intensive display of passing freight and postal trains.

Quorn station has seen substantial investment in the last two years and will be the venue for other major attractions at the steam festival. The new turntable will be demonstrated at regular intervals and the Butler Henderson tea room will not only be selling its famous range of refreshments but real ale as well.

On Saturday evening the renowned GCR twilight show returns. As dusk falls there will be an intense period of activity at Quorn station including freight trains and a night time non-stop mail drop by the travelling post office train - all the more dramatic under cover of darkness.

At this event visitors are being offered the chance to get even closer to the action with a footplate pass. For just £40 you can book a place in the cab of a locomotive as it roars along the track, passing other trains on the way. Precise times will be available closer to the event but for now would be footplate riders are asked to register their interest by calling 01509 632315.

Full timetables and fares will be available at Homepage | Great Central Railway closer to the event. A gala programme will also be available".

15. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

16. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

I'm seriously considering coming up for this event (I need a steam fix!), does anybody have an idea what time proceedings are likely to start & finish on the Saturday (I phoned the railway today and the girl who answered the hone hadn't a clue) as I'd like to book my train tickets sooner rather than later.

17. oddsocks

Usually the first train out of L'boro is at 9am, last one back in would be the diner, that's 10.20pm! Seriously, I would expect things to pack up about 6.30 - 7.00pm.

18. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Cheers many thanks for that - now all I have to do is break the news to Mrs DD that it will indeed be a silly o'clock start in the morning as she's agreed to come with me! :faint:

19. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    With regard to the home based engines, which way are they all facing currently?

Thanks,
    Lewis

20. stevepurves

stevepurves New Member

With regard which way round the engines are, I would imagine they would be changing all the time, especially if you don't visit until the sunday!

As an aside, does anyone know if there's going to be a friday 'shed' photography evening again? The one last year with 3440 was superb!