If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Getting involved in Hampshire

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by SpudUk, Feb 24, 2009.

1. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Last year I went to the Bure Valley Railway for a driver training day and thoroughly enjoyed it! Was absolutely terrific and dare say I was pretty darn good at it! Anyways, since then I have been thirsting to get involved in a narrow gauge railway somewhere nearby! Along with my father I am currently building a 0-16.5 NG layout and a 16mm in the garden, but its not enough for me! As a strapping 21 year old lad I reckon I have alot to offer but I am keen to really get involved, as I enjoy driving/firing so very much! Any ideas chaps and chappets????

2. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Depends how far you're willing to travel, if you're very close to the Mid Hants then Hollycombe will be around an hour away? The 2ft gauge is a nice run and the people who run it are extremly friendly.

3. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    If you have a 10 1/4 engine , bring it to the MHR , we have a small running line although it isnt used cause we dont have stock for it at the moment ....

4. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

We are always looking to train new volunteer steam drivers at Corris, so if you fancy a dirty weekend in Wales....might even be able to arrange transport, as we have a member in Chichester who comes up regularly.

Richard

5. Bongoharry

Bongoharry Member

I can vouch for the excellent training you'd get at the Corris. It's a short line but totally fascinating. I sstarted as a cleaner last summer and have just received an e-mail with five firing turns up to July. If you are looking to stay in the area there are some great campsites... pm either/both RGCorris or myself if you are interested.

6. 4472

4472 Member

Retired
    Oops nearly came a cropper there, I thought it was a new link to a dating agency :smt057

7. pjm

pjm New Member

Train Planner, Network Rail
    Just to add another to the list we are always looking for new people up a Leighton buzzard and yo would be made most welcome.

8. timbgray64

timbgray64 Member

Electrical Engineer

All depends on how far you want to travel, I regularly (every week) travel from Bromley to New Romney (120 mile round trip) and another forum member "evilatco" travels from near Guildford to Romney on a regular basis as well

9. pingadam

pingadam New Member

If you enjoy narrow gauge railways, I can seriously recommend volunteering at any (or all!) of the 3 railways in Porthmadog (Wales) that make up the "Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Network" - so that's the Ffestiniog Railway, Welsh Highland Railway ("mainline"), and Welsh Highland Heritage Railway.

See: http://www.festrail.co.uk and http://www.whr.co.uk (follow various links from these websites for details of volunteering, society membership, etc).

Although it's a bit further from Hampshire than you may like, Minffordd Hostel (the main volunteer accommodation) provides very good and cheap accommodation (£3.50 per night if you're a member of the Ffestiniog Railway Society), and all 3 railways are very friendly to work on, with a great social life too - very highly recommended! Many volunteers travel considerable distances (from all over the UK, sometimes even further) to work on these historic and exciting railways. :D

If you really need to stay in Hampshire though, as suggested already Hollycombe may be the best bet? Even then, you could still pop up to Porthmadog 2 or 3 times a year for a break!

10. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Depending on where you are in Hampshire, the Purbeck Mining and Mineral Group at Norden (Swanage Railway) are making excellent progress. I was there on Sunday dropping off some bits and pieces, and they now have the main loading building up, with three 2' gauge roads alongside it and the trackbed clear for quite some way from the end of the run-round loop.

I know the current team are looking to concentrate on finishing the building and then starting on the mine (yes you read that right, the mine...!), but I am sure they would welcome any help.

11. Bongoharry

Bongoharry Member

Sadly nour man doesn't seem to be interested! He's not replied on this thread to all offers and didn't respond to my pm.

Shame - at the Corris we would have made him very welcome!

12. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    No no have been reading sorry! Have alot of dissertation work to be getting on with thats atm thats all, sorry! 8-[