If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Glyn Valley Gauge change

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Felix Holt, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

At its Board Meeting held at the Hand Hotel on 26th February 2015, the Board of the GVTT unanimously adopted a resolution to set the gauge for the section of the restored tramway for which it is responsible to the ORIGINAL GAUGE of TWO FOOT FOUR AND A HALF INCHES.

Physical work on the restoration has commenced with the removal of trees on the Chirk Station to Ty Ririd section of the track bed. The Trust organises regular work parties which take place every month. Details are shown in the ‘working parties’ section of this website.

http://thegvt.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=95

Meiriongwril likes this.
  2. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

a brave decision, but wholly understandable. Good for you.

We are scouring the world for 3' gauge stock for Tralee and Blennerville, I wouldn't want to be doing the same for 2'4 1/2" stock!

3. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

An interesting decision, I can understand the historical precedent, although it's not one I would have chosen.

4. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

I was never very convinced by the argument that the GVT could use other 2'6" stock, as there's really not that much around to use, surely? In any case, if such stock is bought (rather than borrowed) one assumes that the need to adjust gauge by three quarters of an inch on both sides will not be impossible to do...?

Meiriongwril likes this.
  5. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Does that mean the animosity between both GVT groups is easing?

6. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

To be hoped, but I suspect it'll take some time.

Meiriongwril likes this.
  7. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Nah I would have gone for 2'3" to give the Corris and Talyllyn a play friend ;)

MuzTrem, Kempenfelt 82e and sycamore like this.
  8. Rbridge100

Rbridge100 New Member

Aaaah, I rather fancied the idea of seeing Conqueror or Chevallier (or even Monarch - yikes!) at work in the Glyn Valley. Oh well.

9. sycamore

sycamore Member

Guard & Signalman (E&BAR) / Driver (HVMR)
    Embsay or Bolton Abbey, sometimes in between...
    I'd go for 2'3" too if only to possibly borrow some original stock from the TR . Still, now the gauge issue is resolved, I hope the braking systems and couplings can be kept compatible!!!

Will

10. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

The two parts are unlikely ever to meet.

Corbs likes this.
  11. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

I think you'll find there's quite a lot of 2' 6"g. stock around. All the stock sold off from the various RNAD's in recent years was 2' 6" and 750/760mm is fairly common in several European countries. FWIW I'd have gone with 2' 6" for purely practical reasons but it's their railway and maybe historical accuracy is more important. You might remember a similar situation on the L&B some years ago as one faction wanted a pure historical recreation whilst others took a more pragmatic approach and wanted to get something 'up and running' in a shorter timescale. In the end it all worked out and we now have the best of both worlds.
    Cheers,
    Ray.

12. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Thanks for that. But, I was really thinking about how much 2'6" stock there might be that would be loaned to the GVT rather than sold. If they buy stuff, then re-gauging might be a nuisance but not impossible. I agree, that it rules out borrowing some of the potential locos.

Meiriongwril likes this.
  13. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

14. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
  15. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    I agree, but the line would also have to be re-engineered with more generous clearances and curvature too (not impossible but would need considering).

This is what I posted on another thread: -

The loading gauge, axle load and curvature of a revived GVT will be a factor for aquistion or visiting 2ft 6in vehicles. From the Oakwood press book the loading gauge of the original GVT was to a maximum of 7ft 4in and 13ft 6in high (suprisingly tall), the largest fixed wheelbase on the line was 5ft 10in (the Baldwin) and the maximum permitted length for bolster wagons was 30ft.
    It should be noted that the European 2ft 6in gauge vehicles (760mm) were all built to the same loading gauge and standards set by the Hapsburg/Austrian-Hungarian Military to allow vehicles to be moved around during war (which was done in WW1 and WW2) - Austrian, Hungarian, Czech, Slovakian, Bosnian, Serbian, Romanian, Bulgarian vehicles are all 2450mm (8ft) wide and upto a maximum of 3200mm (10ft 6in) tall. Just look at the W&L - the two Resita tanks, Sir Drefaldwyn, Orion (sold), the Zillertalbahn coaches (B14, B16, B17), the ex Mariazellerbahn/Waldviertalbahn/OBB coach (B27), the SKGLB coaches (C569 and C572) and the MAVs (418 & 430) all share the same profile. Two axle vehicles also had a standard 3700mm wheelbase chassis that was used on all 4w carriages, vans and wagons.
    Aquistion of continental European stock is now more difficult as in the past 5 years the 'New Europe' countries such as the former Yugoslavia and Romania has realised the historical value of their narrow gauge vehicles and are restricting export licences.

Looking at the rest of the W&L fleet and other 2ft 6in in the UK:
    SLR85, the Sierra Leone stock (1206 & 1066), Joan, Superior, Chevallier, Conqueror, Alpha, Triumph, Superb and Monarch are 7ft 5 inches wide.
    The W&L Beyer Peacocks are 7ft wide (but with a 10ft fixed wheelbase)
    The W&L heritage wagons and replica Pickerings are 6ft 6in, but their wheelbases were 5ft 6in (coal wagons), 7ft (vans) and the carriages are 37ft long over the buffers.

This leaves Dougal, Premier, Leader, Excelsior, Meilor, Siam (in Bredgar) and the Statfold 2ft 6in locos as potential visitors unless some work is done to regauge the structual loading gauge and ease the curvature on the line.

Kind regards,
    Gareth

paulhitch likes this.
  16. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

http://www.glynvalleytramway.org.uk/

The other group. Based in Glyn Ceiriog with a plan of laying a mile of track or more towards the quarry i believe. Their gauge will be 2'. Speaking to members of the group the decision behind this is down to so much 2' gauge stock being available, rather than 2'4 1/2 inch gauge stock!

17. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Are you sure? Their website stresses the requirement to stick with the original gauge, and the main reason for the split (AFAIK) was the original 2'6" decision of the GVT trust. o_O

see from their site:
    The first narrow-gauge track seen at Glynceiriog for well over 70 years has recently been completed by Group members in the former Loco Yard at Glyn. Constructed to the correct GVT gauge of 2ft 4½ins (of course), the relaying covers some 100ft of the former station loop, with the intention of being integrated into the Group’s broader plan to relay – with only minor changes to facilitate operation – the original track layout in the immediate environs of Glyn Station.

Meiriongwril likes this.
  18. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I thought that the 2ft guage was just for a demonstration line so they could use Chunks VBT?

19. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

That's what's been done for open days. They've got a mile or so of easy track bed to lay track down and operate Chunkrail stock. He's building a conventional (ish) steam loco at the moment!

Martin Perry likes this.
  20. voyager

voyager New Member

One or two of the sugar mills in Java still operate steam on 700mm gauge ... only about an inch adrift!