If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Glyn Valley

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by triassic, Feb 18, 2009.

1. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    With the loading gauge of the GVT suitable for a reguaged ex-WD Baldwin, it was clearly significantly more generous than either the CR or TR (nothing gets by me, Watson!). When the two surviving GVT carriages were restored, it's worth noting that the roof mounted lamp housings weren't, for the simple reason the bridges on the Talyllyn are too low.

The point about the GVT's historic gauge is obviously a factor which rules out visits from any line or collection I'm aware of, so if historic purity prevails, that's simply something the restored line (like the first 35 years of TR preservation) would have to accept. No visiting locos may disappoint a few gricers, but so far as the bulk of visitors are concerned, just how much of an issue is it really? I'd suggest that'd be 'it's not'.

Something evident from old images is the unique nature of the line, something I feel a visitor from (let's say) the S&KLR or W&LLR couldn't really enhance. To my mind, it'd be like restoring a section of the W&U or Selsey Tram and running a Standard 4 Tank on it ... great loco, wrong line!

From the point of view of pooled resources, ballast, rail and sleeper purchases remain viable areas for a spot of cooperation with other lines, as does much other pw kit (signalling a full-on steam operated tramway nowadays might throw up the odd challenge!). Same applies to components like wheel centres - even if not axles - plus axle boxes, brake gear and much more besides.

FWIW, if it were my decision (i.e.money!), I'd happily accept inherent limitations and stick with the 2'-41/2" gauge simply because it's unique as the GVT itself. In marketing 'a little bit of heaven on earth' (what a fantastic tag line that is!) I'd also want to develop a mutually beneficial relationship with the folks at the equally scenic and historically closely associated canal

2. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's also a case pf how far any revival scheme can extend. Once past the Chirk Castle section it would be a case of persuading the authorities of the time --- we are a very long way into the future -- to allow a roadside tramway to run, even alongside a fairly quiet road. One part of the Corris Southern Extension complexities is having a possibly upgraded barrier between the A487 and the line on the new embankment. Yes the 487 is a trunk road, and a bit of a race track there, but the authorities are concerned about protection. And I'm not going to gainsay that. I had a trip on the W and L where we stopped so that an assessment could be made of how to retrieve a car that had got across the line and ended on its roof in the trees on the Golfa.

As for building back as it was. The folk at Woody Bay and Maespoeth are both recreating as far as possible the line pre its demise. It takes lots of time and big money, and events since 1935/ 1948 mean adaptation and compromise is necessary, but look at a picture of a train on those lines and it seems very worthwhile. However I'm not making GVT decisions and they willknow many things I don't, despite my pontificating here.

If anyone does visit Chirk it's a good idea to follow the old route. At the other end there is a very good museum in the loco shed, open at weekends, and restoration of the available part of the station site has been well done.

3. Devonbelle

Devonbelle New Member

Professional railwayman
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Arrived by train at Chirk on Fri 13-5, delighted to find volunteers working at Chirk GVT station. Took some shots Friday and yesterday. The GVT group (Chirk end) had an excellent display stand at yesterdays superb garden railway show at Llangollen. My pictures below. Paul

Attached Files:

Goldie, 30854, ross and 1 other person like this.
  4. 30854

Retired
    Many thanks for those shots Paul. Any idea please whether those brick stacks are what has been unearthed, or have they been delivered for a spot of construction work?

Devonbelle likes this.
  5. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

As I understand it, the bricks were unearthed on site.

Devonbelle likes this.
  6. 30854

Retired
    Wow ...... that's an awful lot of bricks. Thinking of appeals fro bricks on other jobs, that should save a few bob and a fair bit of time come reconstruction. :)

I loved the photo on FB of the digger pulling out what looked like a significant lump of concrete or mortar. Following removal of the heavy tree stump from the retaining wall a couple of months back, you've got to start wondering if a spot of deep excavation round the engine shed might be worthwhile (if only, eh?) !

Devonbelle likes this.