If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Go Ahead for NNR Sheringham Crossing to go in this Winter

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by SteveA, Dec 8, 2008.

1. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    See: http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/sto ... 3A29%3A593

After 40 years of isolation the North Norfolk Railway will at last be re-connected to the national system. =D> =D> =D>

Steve A.

2. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Just out of interest Steve, how many times has a temporary crossing been laid please? I know of two occurrances, but presumably tere have been more.
    When I worked on the NNR (1977-80) there was talk of BR reconnecting the line, but in return the they would only operate Norwich - Cromer leavoing the NNR responsible for the operation (and costs) of the Cromer - Sherringham section.

3. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    As far as I'm aware, the temporary track was only laid once - that was in 1975 to take delivery of the Brighton Belle Pullman cars and some Mk1 Suburbans, though there was talk of doing it again in 1977/78 but that came to nothing. Previous movements in the late 1960s had been across the level crossing that remained in place until 1970/71 when the county council decided to do some 'highway improvements'. To have retained the crossing at that time would have meant major additional works that the young NNR couldn't afford. With hindsight....! How things have changed these days, the very same Highways Dept. is assisting us in putting it back.

Steve A.

4. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Great news, this means Ollie may visit the NNR for the steam gala which would top it all off.
    well done to all involved!!! \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D>

5. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I have read in joint line that Ring haw is very almost ready and a footbridge has been bought for Sheringham or Holt from the colne valley railway

6. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

From the NNR website (http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/news.htm)
    Make the most of this site \:D/ \:D/
    [​IMG]

7. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Don't forget to notify Mr Baker so the Rail Atlas can be updated!

8. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

In SR they said 30k had been raised (loan from supporter) and it may cost up to £100,000 to build.
    In HR they said 40k had been raised, 30k from the above source and £10,000 from a local resident, then £50,000 was quoted for the total cost.

which one is more accurate? :-k

9. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Am i completly drunk or is there a lop sided bin where the NNR station should be in that phot ?.

10. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Is it not a timetable type display with a casing around it?

Keith

11. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

yes it is, I can see how it looks like a bin though :smt003

12. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Is that one of the most pointless stop signs ever?

13. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    Yes i believe it is!

14. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

It may be pointless but it's pretty good advice - for now.

Paul

15. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

16. NNR Webmaster

NNR Webmaster New Member

Student
    A year or so ago when a train hit the stops, they added a couple of sleepers across the rails before they replaced the stops.

What amused me was they added a THIRD stop sign to the top of the sleepers! (there is a second sign permanently there - it can just be seen on the left of the picture) I don't know what caused the overrun but I'm fairly sure it wasn't because the driver didn't realise he was required to stop!!!

17. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

18. NNR Webmaster

NNR Webmaster New Member

Student
    Wow you're quick off the mark! I only updated the page a short while ago!

19. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

That is a shame but these things happen, Will just have to wait until next year then.

20. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    While I can see that the reconnection will be a nice thing to have, I must say I was struggling with how it could be considered in the present economic climate even before Tony Streeter in Steam Railway pointed out that, because any incoming excursions would need to be "topped and tailed" due to the reversal at Cromer, a maximum of 4 coaches could be used becuase of the headshunt length at Cromer. The Quail track map puts the platform length at Cromer as 7, which would suggest perhaps 5 or even 6 coaches (I don't know Cromer) but either way, making excursions pay with so few coaches would seem very difficult. Tony says the plan if to bus half the passengers from Norwich (where there would be another reversal) and split the train but I remain to be convinced either charter TOCs or Network Rail (or the passengers!) would want to be doing that on a regular basis. Hence, it seems use by incoming charters could be limited (let alone because of the restricted number of crossing permitted each year anyway), and the main use will be for gala guest locos. As a rail movement to an extremity of the national system like Sheringham will be expensive, I wonder how often this will actually be done. There may be at least 3 or 4 "mega-galas" planned at various places (including the NNR) for the first half of 2009, but if bad weather or the recession hits attendences at one or two of these, I suspect such events will go "on hold" until the economic situation improves as the risk of lossing money on an event which costs mega-bucks will be too great.

The decision to delay the crossing may have been forced by practical reasons (from what is said on the NNR website) but seems a very prudent business decision in the present circumstances. Especially if built now, it could be a white elephant. (The nearest similar, albeit much larger, scheme in recent years was the West Somerset signalling and there doesn't seem to have been many more through charters to Minehead since it was done than were possible under the old arrangements, quite apart from the effects on the recession on charter market).