If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Going to Drapers...late 60's shots of locos going for scrap

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Alberta 45562, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi Guys,
    Here are some of my Dad's shots of locos going for scrap at Drapers of Hull in the late 60's,'66 and '67. Comments Welcome!!

http://mark-walker.fotopic.net/c1643901.html

Cheers,
    Mark (on belhalf of Alan AKA Kenilworth60124)

2. ianh

ianh Member

Farmer -
    i remember visiting Drapers Yard in Neptune St almost 40 years ago with my grandfather who used to work for the Customs in the nearby Fish Dock.

I will always remember the Black5 covered in tarps with i think the tender, converted to a form of workshop.

Must find the photographs..... now where did i put them

Also have a recolection of a large A3/4 type boiler stored in the immidiate area what was that for?

Ian H

3. Alberta 45562

Hi Ian,
    I wil ask my dad when he is here what the boiler was from he may know,i think he has some Drapers shots somewhere but i haven't come across em yet,going to be doing a Hydraulics gallery next.....

Cheers,
    Mark

4. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Good.... But sad photos - You have one in steam and the rest being dragged/pulled to their fate!!

5. Alberta 45562

Yeah too right,i'll pass the comment on to him incidentially 44767took some of them in the first few shots,that was more lucky than the rest were!!

6. 60124Kenilworth

60124Kenilworth New Member

The sight of so many steam locomotives going to meet their fate was always a melancholy one,the sounds were also distinctive with the air passing through the cylinders as they were dragged along,the only good thing,if you could call it that,was that it enabled us local enthusiasts to fill in a few gaps in our ABC's!.The final train of dead engines to go through Featherstone was not until around April 1969 and I believe 45305 was amongst those locos. if my memory serves me well,the only engine travelling under its' own steam to Drapers that I saw was 42618 from Huddersfield in September 1965.

7. Alberta 45562

That's the photographer by the way ^^^^^ ](*,)

8. 50002

50002 Member

I'm surprised that sound was heard from withdrawn locos being towed to a scrapyard. The sound of air passing through cylinders would only be heard if the connecting rods were still in place. It was usually heard when dead engines still in service were being moved from place to place around a loco shed. After withdrawal the con rods were normally removed before the final journey. Otherwise, with no steam and no lubrication there would have been a good chance of pistons seizing up completely. Coupling rods were usually left on but they would not have caused air to pass through the cylinders. Looking back at photographs of Western and Southern engines being towed.on their way to Barry it seems that in every case their connecting rods had been removed. That is also true of pictures of the locos after they had arrived at Woodhams yard. Maybe other BR regiuons did things diffferently?

9. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Connecting rods were almost always, and probably always, removed for the reasons stated above, but coupling rods seemed to have been an optional thing: some arrived at the yards with them in place; others removed. At Barry, more Western engines seemed to have them in situ than others.

Removing the coupling rods would have the effect of lowering the engines' rolling resistance, and would also remove any potential problems of bushes running hot.

10. Alberta 45562

Dads reply (kenilworth) on those engines obviously not but as Jim said some did,especially some of the last ones.

Cheers,
    Alan