If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Golden Spike Anniversary Event

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by MuzTrem, Feb 14, 2019.

1. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Hi everyone,

There has already been some discussion in the UP 4014 thread about the anniversary events planned in and around Ogden, Utah, in May for the 150th anniversary of the completion of the first transcontinental railroad. This is drifting slightly away from the topic of 4014's restoration so I thought a new thread would be in order!

UP are remaining tight-lipped about their plans for 844 and 4014, but we do know that an event has been planned for the Golden Spike Historic Park at Promontory Summit - the actual site where the two railroads met - which will cover the anniversary date, Friday 10th May, and the following weekend.

I am intending to go to this event (I already have flights and accommodation booked!) but I am wondering whether anybody else is going, and if so, how they are planning to travel to the event? According to Google Maps the park is about an hour's drive from Ogden itself, and there is no access by public transport. I'm reluctant to go to the trouble and expense of hiring a car just for myself, and I find it hard to believe that enterprising tour operators won't step in and offer organised coach trips on the day; so far, internet research hasn't turned anything up. I just wondered whether anybody might be able to share some local knowledge or pass on information from "the grapevine"?

Thanks in advance :)

2. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Is this any use? https://www.visitogden.com/goldenspike2019/ Several railroad enthusiast organizations are having conventions in Ogden to coincide with the event. Might be worth seeing if any of them are organizing a bus tour out to Promontory from Ogden.
    Ray.